View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011   #6
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

---------------------
SINGLE PLAYER:
---------------------

Greenflower Sunset Zone by Fawfulfan - My/Level
As you may have gathered, I was working within a self-imposed constraint. I sort of challenged myself to take a dull idea and make a decent level out of it. Certainly I think I ended up making something passable, but I don't consider it to be exceptional in comparison to some of my other work...and certainly not in comparison to lots of the other maps in this contest. Hope you guys get some enjoyment out of it in spite of this. Oh, and I'm really sorry about that Armageddon Shield...I meant to remove the Death Pit sector effect from that place, and must have forgotten. *facepalm*

Flower Cave Zone by Miles Knuckle Power - 2/10
Emerald hunt, eh? Well, I'm sorry, but this is one of the worst ones I've ever seen. In spite of all those extra graphics and sounds, it looks ugly and plays boring. Frankly, I think your race levels were more interesting than this.

Sparkling Icecap by Thompson - 7/10
You can always tell a Thompson creation from the pack. They all share the same common strengths...and flaws. As usual, the gimmicks were top-notch, gameplay was extensive, and the new enemies were tastefully done. But I'm taking away one more point than usual because of my dislike for that one huge room. It was laggy, full of HOMs, and I was thoroughly stumped on where to go and what to do. I appreciate the use of Cut-Away Views, but they really don't help much because the level is just so huge and textured so uniformly that I can't really keep any of the landmarks in my mind. Consistently, your biggest weakness (amid myriad strengths) is your nonintuitive path layout. The platforming path was slightly better in this regard, but it still took a fair amount of searching to discover the correct route, and the level also doubled back on the cavernous rooms so frequently that it was all too easy to fall and end up back in a much earlier part of the level. Make it easier for players to find their way through your levels, and you'll become an unstoppable levelmaking force.

Frozen Hillside Zone Act 1 by Blade - 8/10
I gotta tell you...the ice theme has been done to death, so it's an incredibly refreshing change of pace to see an ice level that actually looks original. The graphics and enemies are superb. I just have two small gripes with you. First, the jump height reduction. I know it's totally necessary for all your platforming challenges to work in the clever, inventive way that they do, but it still felt annoying in places (and what's with the river of snow? What's the physics behind it?) Second, I found myself going around in circles from time to time, but I usually caught myself pretty quickly. Otherwise, good job!

Stronghold Forest Zone Act by KO.T.E - 8/10
Yet another level full of good SOCs and sublime visuals, as well as a decently original theme. Even the screenshots of the upcoming CEZ don't look this good! I will say that, because of all the myriad non-climbable walls throughout the level, this place is hell for Knuckles. But hey, I'm to blame for stubbornly sticking to one character. There are loads of great levels here, but you get my vote for the big win!

White Mountain Zone by Kuba11 - N/A
The visuals aren't half bad, but there's a pervasive feeling of claustrophobia throughout. It's never unbearably cramped, but nor is it ever open enough to allow for any real breathing room. Also, how the heck do you get past that low room with platforms on the sides and lava falls in the center? I had to stop there because I couldn't find a way out, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and rating it under the assumption that it is beatable. Oh, I see, there IS no way out of it. Why did you submit an uncompleted level?

Waterway Ruin Zone Act 1 by Chrome - N/A
Huh? This map got disqualified due to WHAT? I dunno about you, but I think if I can get it loaded and play it through, it should count. Anyway, another level with consistently good aesthetics, but this time interspersed with lots of cheap deaths. I think there were rather more enemies in this level than would be optimal; certainly there were too many Snailers and Jet Jaws to allow for comfortable navigation of the real challenges. Also, there need to be more rings; I frequently got slammed by badniks just after hitting star posts. If its difficulty were nerfed, I think this level would be more fun.

Jadeflower Zone Act 3 by blahblahbal - 3/10
And now, we end this phenomenal Single Player lineup on a low note. Granted, this is better than your other Jadeflower creations, but it still suffers from some crippling issues. First of all, it's way too short. Generally I won't vote high for any level that can be completed in under a minute, because it simply doesn't have any replay value. Second, the themes in this level are totally incompatible...grass followed by lava? And by the way, is that super-shallow lava river supposed to hurt you? Check to see if it has the Fire Damage sector special. Just having more content would have probably earned this a few more points, but you had a pretty weak theme anyway, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it having been a real gem.

----------
MATCH:
----------

Ponies Suck Zone by Fawfulfan - Also/MyLevel
*Fawfulfan gets high-fived by one third of the people here and lynched by everyone else.* Anyway, yikes, forgot SKYNUM. Sorry about that, fellas.

Flux Satellite Zone by 742mph - 4/10
Red and blue segments? This is just SCREAMING to be a CTF map. Anyway, it's not terrible, but it might be more interesting if there were some substantial differences between the regular and reverse-gravity areas. The space countdown when you stray from the satellite is a nifty idea, particularly since the incessantly reversing gravity gives you some chance of recovering, but the stage itself is boring and symmetrical. The ring placement was annoying...the way they were spread out, I had to zip all over the level just to have enough to fend off opponents, and use of the Auto Ring is more or less precluded. Also, lots of items that should be deafed aren't.

Southern Sands Massive Twin HOMs Zone by akb778 - 3/10
Seriously, those things are incredibly distracting...not that there's much to be distracted from; it's pretty plain and spread out, and doesn't offer much in the manner of interesting gameplay.

Aries City Zone by EternallyAries Red X - N/A
Shame about being disqualified. I know making a decent city level is hard...which is why I'm pretty impressed with the job you did. Visuals are decent, and the layout doesn't suck. It's no Sparkling City Zone, but it certainly is a breath of fresh air after all that mediocrity.

Frozen Tundra Zone by Chaos Zero 64 - 2/10
YAY GENERIC ICE LEVEL! It's empty as hell, has way too much vertical variation, the spring placement makes no sense whatsoever, and the item pickups look as though they were arranged by a three-year-old. Tails players can also abuse the hell out of it by raining destruction from above.

--------------------------
CAPTURE THE FLAG:
----------
----------------

Majestic Grove Zone by Scizor300 - 6/10
Perhaps you should have called this "Massive Grove Zone", "Mondo Grove Zone", or "My-God-This-Is-Huge Grove Zone". Point being, it's big. Very big. But not terrible. It's got a competent layout, certainly. I just think it would probably take a whole lot of players for this stage to achieve its full excitement potential.

Mystical Heights Zone by Metal Fighter - 7/10
Good visuals, good layout. Pretty laggy in the outside areas, and the fog pit wasn't pulled off as nicely as in Clockwork Towers Zone, but that's nowhere near enough to ruin a good level. Nice job.

White Pass Zone by Kuba11 - 4/10
What is it with this contest and ice levels!? I could understand if this was Nov/Dec or Jan/Feb, but May/Jun? It's freaking SUMMER! Are you guys all at some kind of SRB2 convention in Australia that I didn't get invited to? That aside, this level was pretty unexceptional. It was rather plain, and the ceilings were uncomfortably low...and besides that, it brings nothing novel to the table.

Sylvan Shrines Zone by Spherallic - 9/10

What exactly is "sylvan" about these shrines? A better name for this level would have been "Awesome Shrines Zone"...a little arrogant, possibly, but perfectly true. You've taken a tired old theme and reinvigorated it for a great CTF stage! There's just the right amount of vertical variation, and a great level structure. I heartily commend you for this level.

------------
CIRCUIT:
------------

Croissant Mountain Zone by D00D64 - 1/10
AHAHAHAHAHAH!!! What the heck is this supposed to be? Precision jumping is never good, but Race mode is just about the worst gametype for it (except maybe Mario Kart). At least there should have been death pits for when you fell, to send you back to the star post instead of forcing you to backtrack...although come to think of it, that might lead to a City Jump-esque Game Over fest. And by the way, where on Earth did you get that name? It makes absolutely no sense.

Frozen Hall Zone by Metal Fighter - 5/10
Bland and unoriginal, but otherwise not terrible. Structurally, all I can complain about is the rapid succession of some of the turns, which can be confusing, particularly if a player ahead of you already took the direction-indicating rings (arrows might have been better for this particular purpose).

Last edited by Fawfulfan; 07-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.