Sonic Mars. Pre-rendered sprites or models?

Jammin'

I fucking hate the average person on this site.
im thinking models. but sprites HAVE shown up over the years. what are your thoughts?

The footage of SM that we have obviously isn't the actual game, but instead a decently impressive mock-up for 1995(?). The actual game would've likely made usage of models turned into pre-rendered sprites (i.e DKC), that or it would've used 3D-angled sprites. As for the mock-up we have, it's probably highly compressed models

The footage of SM that we have obviously isn't the actual game, but instead a decently impressive mock-up for 1995(?). The actual game would've likely made usage of models turned into pre-rendered sprites (i.e DKC), that or it would've used 3D-angled sprites. As for the mock-up we have, it's probably highly compressed models

but wouldnt it be working on a 32x? unless tech demos arent based on what system they were thinking of...

but wouldnt it be working on a 32x? unless tech demos arent based on what system they were thinking of...

Not necessarily. If it's a "proof of concept" and not a tech demo specifically, it doesn't have to be running on target hardware as long as it conforms roughly to that hardware's capabilities. and IIRC the Sonic Mars videos floating around are just a non-playable animation made on a computer by the devs to illustrate their concept, not a playable tech demo running on real hardware.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. If it's a "proof of concept" and not a tech demo specifically, it doesn't have to be running on target hardware as long as it conforms roughly to that hardware's capabilities. and IIRC the Sonic Mars videos floating around are just a non-playable animation made on a computer by the devs to illustrate their concept, not a playable tech demo running on real hardware.

well, i knew that. and with a little research it was running on a amiga. that, i didnt know.

well, i knew that. and with a little research it was running on a amiga. that, i didnt know.

Huh, that's interesting! I didn't know that either. Incidentally, the Amiga actually has a similar CPU to the Mega Drive, and the Amiga was still a pretty popular computer platform for game development and animation in the early-to-mid '90s, so that totally checks.

according to Sonic retro
i think they found only concept artwork and the developers never did any sprites or models at this point

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back