SRB2 Message Board

SRB2 Message Board (https://mb.srb2.org/index.php)
-   Software (2.1.X) (https://mb.srb2.org/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   SRB2 Doom Builder (https://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=41066)

Fred 02-24-2006 12:05 AM

This was really a major brainfart of mine, but according to people at #srb2fun, it's actually a good idea.

What I am talking about are "paintbrush" type tools for thing placement. With these, by simply holding the mouse button, you would be able to "draw" things onto the map, like lines of rings and such. Of course, if this were to be implemented, a "snap to grid" option would be a must.

EDIT: Apparently ST is being lazy and demanding me to ask for an autosave feature. One that would automatically save the map from time to time, always in different files, so that "whoops I deleted all of my sectors" errors don't cause all your work to go down the drain.

BlazingPhoenix 02-24-2006 12:23 AM

Please fix the texture browser crash, I can't even make SRB2 maps with that stupid crash.
(better yet fix the texture broswer crash for all games)

JJames19119 02-24-2006 04:51 AM

Oh god **** YES!

All my girlfriends and wives are belong to you Oogaland.

Don't evade the curse filter

I want to apologize about that btw. I didn't know. :\

Tets 02-24-2006 05:28 AM

I'm liking these new features. I have only one request, and it seems it would be relatively simple to implement.

It is possible to raise or lower a range of floors or ceilings by selecting them and typing ++ or -- followed by the number to add or subtract from them. It would be very useful to be able to do this with object heights. As of now, trying to do so causes a type mismatch.

ST218 02-25-2006 06:57 AM

Z-Offset seems to be borked an an annoying way-Things that multiply by 16 for their bitsets normally have a maximum height of 4096, yet the Z offset for those objects won't go past 2048. In the same way, Things that multiply by 32 for height won't go past 1024, when their max is 2048.

Tets 02-26-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicandtails218
Things that multiply by 16 for their bitsets normally have a maximum height of 4096, yet the Z offset for those objects won't go past 2048. In the same way, Things that multiply by 32 for height won't go past 1024, when their max is 2048.

I experienced this same bug last night. It displays heights properly if they are manually applied, but it won't accept any input past 2048 (or 1024, as the case may be).

There also appears to be a lot of seemingly random crashing involving hovering over sectors or linedefs. Seriously, random. I'm unable to discover which conditions must be met in order to cause this crash. It just happens.

Lastly, I can't figure why, but Doombuilder - both original and SRB2 versions - refuse to open my single player level Dark Palisades, reporting an overflow error. This is very strange as I originally built the level in Doombuilder. =[

Oogaland 02-26-2006 05:04 PM

Code:

26/02/2006

! Z offsets were masked to 15 bits instead of 16.
+ ++ and -- can be used in Z offsets in a similar fashion to sectors.
+ Preliminary handling of Z offsets in 3D mode: things display at the right
  height, but you still have to aim at the ground to select them.

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s05698...rb2-260206.zip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tets
There also appears to be a lot of seemingly random crashing involving hovering over sectors or linedefs. Seriously, random. I'm unable to discover which conditions must be met in order to cause this crash. It just happens.

I haven't been able to reproduce this, although I admit I haven't tried particularly hard. Does it occur more frequently on some maps than on others?

Quote:

Doombuilder - both original and SRB2 versions - refuse to open my single player level Dark Palisades, reporting an overflow error.

Um, it opens fine for me... I'm using the wad from the Addons page -- is this up-to-date?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingofFlames
Please fix the texture browser crash, I can't even make SRB2 maps with that stupid crash.

That was the first thing I did, unless you're referring to some other bug in the browser that I don't know about.

That's probably it for this uncharacteristic bout of productivity. I might have some more spare time a fortnight from now, though.

Tets 02-27-2006 08:23 AM

Dark Palisades on the addons page should be the same as my copy, as I've made no changes since the initial release, but I'll download it and check later. And several other people can confirm the random crashes I'm receiving (however, their names escape me at the moment, speak up plz). It occurs with, more or less, the same frequency regardless of the map opened, and only when I'm able to highlight linedefs or sectors by moving the mouse over them. It does not seem to happen with things or verteces.

JJames19119 02-27-2006 09:07 AM

Well I opened Dark Palidises in both builders and hovered, for the most part, well ove rhalf the linedefs and sectors and I haven't received this error...

Tets 02-27-2006 11:45 AM

Well then, that's the end of that. My copy of Dark Palisades must have been corrupted in some way as to prevent it from opening in DB.

Meanwhile, the crashing is still prevalent. It is no longer a matter of whether or not it occurs, jjames, it is instead a question of why and how should it be avoided until the problem is fixed. As I said before, it has been confirmed by others. Some have suggested to quit using SRB2 DB, but that amounts to little for a proper solution.

BlazingPhoenix 02-27-2006 12:04 PM

Would this work with other 1.67 .cfgs? I hope so....because I don't want my Doom map go to waste if it bugs up....

Oogaland 02-27-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Would this work with other 1.67 .cfgs? I hope so....because I don't want my Doom map go to waste if it bugs up....

Uh... maybe. Keep backups. Hexen definitely won't work, and of course Z offsets don't apply, but I think Doom should be okay.

Quote:

Meanwhile, the crashing is still prevalent. It is no longer a matter of whether or not it occurs, jjames, it is instead a question of why and how should it be avoided until the problem is fixed.

I'm intrigued about this one. I used it for a few hours later on yesterday, and haven't experienced this yet, although I don't doubt the bug's existence. I'll do my best to find it and squish it; any further information anyone can provide to help me to this end would be appreciated. Thanks.

ST218 02-28-2006 12:11 AM

More info? There really isn't. You do things randomly, and it gives the "Doom Builder has caused an error and must close" blah blah. However, it does only happen in linedefs mode.

BlazingPhoenix 02-28-2006 12:31 AM

Fix Hexen then I might consider Downloading this.....

Oogaland 02-28-2006 08:31 AM

Quote:

Fix Hexen then I might consider Downloading this.....

Too much work, I'm afraid. I'd have to do much of the Z offset stuff again, for one thing. Who uses Hexen, anyway? :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonicandtails218
More info? There really isn't. You do things randomly, and it gives the "Doom Builder has caused an error and must close" blah blah. However, it does only happen in linedefs mode.

Mm, okay. I'll just have to keep hunting, then; I'm sure it'll turn up eventually. Actually, this helps me a bit in itself: VB doesn't seem to be catching the error (e.g. no 'subscript out of bounds'-type message), so that narrows it down a little. Merci.

BlazingPhoenix 02-28-2006 09:37 PM

Uhhhhh people that want to use Doom Builder and make ZDoom Hexen maps without the texture browser randomly crashing?

Blitzzo 02-28-2006 10:30 PM

The texture browser never crashes unless you try to get it to search for an unknown texture. If you want the texture browser to work, you have to change the textures in the dialog to ones that do exist.

Tets 02-28-2006 11:36 PM

Considering this is a project centered around adding SRB2 editing features to Doombuilder, I can't see how far you expected to get requesting fixes for Hexen mapping for ZDoom. Let's read the title of this thread and then try again, this time using logic.

BlazingPhoenix 03-01-2006 12:10 PM

It crashes every time I draw a sector....

fox.dx2 03-03-2006 12:57 PM

Here's some values you can use:

2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768, 65536, 131072, 262144, 524288, 1048576, 2097152.

Oogaland 03-19-2006 05:01 PM

Build 4

Sorry for the bump. Anyway, new build:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s05698...er_srb2-r4.zip

Changes since last time:

Code:

+ 'Thing paintbrush' mode. Hold shift and right-drag to create lots of things
  at once. Set the grid to choose spacing.
+ FOF Setup dialogue finished, or at least usable.

The FOF dialogue is still... um... experimental, shall we say. In most cases it'll warn you before it does something you might not expect. You can access it from the Sectors menu.

BlazingPhoenix 03-19-2006 05:06 PM

Ummm........DBSRB2 crashes every time I draw a sector.....
[duplicate because nobody paid attention to it]

Oogaland 03-19-2006 05:40 PM

Quote:

Ummm........DBSRB2 crashes every time I draw a sector.....
[duplicate because nobody paid attention to it]

Are you creating sectors by drawing individual linedefs or by ctrl+right-clicking? Either way: what message do you get when it crashes, if any? If I know these things, I might be able to suggest a solution.

Foxboy 03-19-2006 06:31 PM

It seems that whenever you select a map that has a letter anywhere in it (ex: MAPBA) doom builder will crash.

JJames19119 03-19-2006 09:38 PM

Suggestion: Have a "sector filter" where you could display all sectors with, let's say, all the same floor height. All the sectors with this same floor height (That you would specify of course) would all become the same sector temporarily until turned the filter off. Likewise, making a change to this "universal" sector would make the same change to all sectors that had this attribute. Some good filters would be floor height, ceiling height, sector tag, sector effect, texture and stuff like that.

Sonict 03-22-2006 10:09 PM

Crash with latest build (builder_srb2-r4.zip)

Hi, Oogaland

In IRC, the crash that I showed you was with this build: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s05698...rb2-260206.zip , the one on the 26 of February 2006.

Here is the new one for the current build:

AppName: buildersrb2.exe AppVer: 1.67.0.379 ModName: buildersrb2.exe
ModVer: 1.67.0.379 Offset: 000a8a2e

I hope you can fix this soon.

Sonict

EDIT - March 23, 2006 at 11:16 AM EST

Thanks to your new test build, DB is now stable! Good job Oogaland!! Make sure to tell everyone that this new version is more stable now!!!

Thanks again,

Sonict

Oogaland 03-26-2006 01:44 PM

Build 7

New build, today. http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s05698...er_srb2-r7.zip

Rather than post the changelog, which has lots of messy little bits in it, I'll summarise changes since r4:
  • Nasty linedef crash fixed. This was the bug that had been bothering everyone. Thanks to Sonict for the crash reports.
  • Sector filter added. This is actually just an extension of the Find feature, which did more or less what was needed in the official DB. However, I added other operators (>=, <, etc.), and also some other things to search on.
  • Things in 3D mode work properly. You can point at them at the right height, now, instead of at the ground.
  • FOFs in 3D mode. You can't do anything with them yet, but they show up. It's a little slow, and some sidedefs appear where they oughtn't to.
  • Other stuff. Some FOF dialogue bug fixes; things' Z offsets appear when you hover over them; new splash screen; shortcut key support for the new features.
I've improved FOF support quite a bit since build 5 which I released on IRC. I don't know where build 6 went.

Foxboy: Firstly, thanks for linking to this from SRB2 World. I've put up a page at http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/ that'll alyways provide a link to the current build, so if you could amend your link, that'd be great, thanks. Also, as to that bug you reported: I managed to open Mystic Realm's MAPBA, so the problem might be something different. Could you please tell me what wad you were using when the crash occurred?

That's all for now.

BlazingPhoenix 03-26-2006 02:37 PM

Okay, cool my problem's fixed.

How 'bout being able to change the ZOffests for things in 3D mode? kinda like what you can do with thing's Z-Heights in ZDoom-Hexen mode in regular Doom Builder.

JJames19119 03-26-2006 11:54 PM

I'm pretty sure he's already done that.

I must say Oogaland, this is one of the best things to hit SRB2 since WadAuthor, I'm surprised many people haven't left it for this. It's made so many frustrating tasks so easy. I would marry you but my girlfriend would accuse me of wrong doings if I were to. I can't think of many more suggestions at the moment, it seems like this build is near perfection...

Prime 2.0 03-27-2006 12:17 AM

True, that. But there are some problems; Like for instance: no translucency in the FOFs in 3-D mode, and invisible FOFs(or light blocks) show up with the textures and flats of the controll sector.

JJames19119 03-27-2006 12:50 AM

Well 3D Mode is always gonna be a problem, that in itself will likely never be perfect. Those for experienced wadders like me, this is a god send. I don't nessesarily need 3D Mode. Although after thinking, a few new ideas popped up...
  • More error fixing, as in, having menu items that will automatically fix common errors. Empty tags, proper thok barrier (That would be hard though I imagine), incompatible linedefs and things, among other stuff.
  • The ability to customize the toolbar. You know, the one with the prefab and gradient buttons? It'd be nice to add your own buttons to it depending on the mode, like having the Setup FOF button when in Sector mode.
  • Being able to save different color configurations. Many people like different color schemes when editing maps and it would be awesome to be able to save the color schemes as different CFGs.
  • Have checkboxes on the testing tab in the configuration box to automatically add certain parameters like -nomusic and -win. This is hardly important, just a little tidbit incase you're bored. ^_^()
  • Have an option to not load ANY textures or flats from the IWAD but instead, load them from the current wad and/or an external wad only. Might quicken loading time and make things such as making quick fixes quicker.

/me needs to learn how to use the list tag

Eryn 03-27-2006 10:50 PM

Here's the full and current changelog:
Code:

DBSRB2 Changelog:

Key:
! Bug fixed.
+ Feature added.

17/01/2006

! Crash in texture/flat browser when pressing tab with no image selected.
+ 'Split Linedefs' feature.

18/01/2006

! Textures incorrectly reported as missing in zero-height sectors.

20/01/2006

+ Z Offset feature added; no more messing with flags.
! Crash in browser when no textures/flats currently used in map.
+ 'Cascade tags upwards' option for sectors. Like 'Gradient xxxx', but upper
  bound automatic.
! Fields in new map config dialogue not filled at start for default config.
+ Tag cascading for linedefs.

26/02/2006

! Z offsets were masked to 15 bits instead of 16.
+ ++ and -- can be used in Z offsets in a similar fashion to sectors.
+ Preliminary handling of Z offsets in 3D mode: things display at the right
  height, but you still have to aim at the ground to select them.

19/03/2006

+ 'Thing paintbrush' mode. Hold shift and right-drag to create lots of things
  at once. Set the grid to choose spacing.
+ FOF Setup dialogue finished, or at least usable.

26/03/2006

! Nasty linedef crash fixed.
+ Sector filter added
! Things in 3D mode work properly
+ FOFs in 3D mode
! FOF dialogue bug fixes
+ Things’ Z offsets appear when you hover over them
+ New splash screen
+ Shortcut key support for new features

Tets 03-28-2006 10:52 AM

I approve this release. It no longer crashes every time I want to do something useful! Also, FOFs and thing z offsets in 3D mode ftw.

ZarroTsu 03-29-2006 01:05 AM

hmm... I wonder why I've over looked this for so long? *downloads for the 1st time*

better late than never XP

JJames19119 03-29-2006 04:05 AM

I noticed a bug using the FOF creator. It will try it's best to place the control sector outside the thok barrier but if your FOF is too far in the middle of it, it'll create the control sector inside the thok barrier and even overlap any sectors in it's way, creating many, many unfixable errors.

ZarroTsu 03-29-2006 12:10 PM

I remember now why I hate doom builder. It offers a bunch of stuff other builders do, only it has the nifty 3D mode... Which i may as well use for texture alignments XP

JJames19119 03-30-2006 12:00 AM

Another suggestion: default textures for different WADs. I really do hate editing a GFZ themed WAD, creating a new sector in it and seeing that it's wall textures are ZIMWALL4. If you could save the default textures in the DBS file DB generates for each WAD and have DB load these up into the current default textures, that would be great.

EDIT: Found another bug: The Setup FOF dialog puts the colourmap information in the Middle Texture, when it should be in the Above Texture.

Suggestion: Have a dropdown list for FOF presets that can be loaded from an INI. This would allow people to create many FOFs of the same type easily.

Sonict 03-30-2006 10:01 PM

A bug.

I think I found a bug in the latest build of srb2builder (r7).

If you create or load a map like: (mapa1) and try to test it, the nodebuilder fails to work and when the level loads, its "Green Flower Zone 1" instead of the map that you want. You can start a new game and then it loads the map that you wanted to test.

EDIT: Also make sure that when you make a very big map, (EX. AGZ2 from Mystic Realm) it will save and run the level properly.

Sonict

BlazingPhoenix 03-30-2006 10:03 PM

Give DBSRB2 a new icon, I sometimes accidently load the wrong DoomBuilder when I'm SRB2 editing.

JJames19119 03-31-2006 01:00 AM

Re: A bug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonict
I think I found a bug in the latest build of srb2builder (r7).

If you create or load a map like: (mapa1) and try to test it, the nodebuilder fails to work and when the level loads, its "Green Flower Zone 1" instead of the map that you want. You can start a new game and then it loads the map that you wanted to test.

EDIT: Also make sure that when you make a very big map, (EX. AGZ2 from Mystic Realm) it will save and run the level properly.

Sonict

I just tested that and it's actually a bug within the normal DB itself, not SRB2 Builder, it was just simply carried over. Nonetheless, it's a bug that does need fixing.