What kind of outfit do you like?

Prince Tuah

Stay safe, take care
It can be cultural, or modern, et cetera. It does not have to be what you usually wear everyday, you can show outfit that looks cool.
For me, it's Busana Melayu. It is said to have influence from Arabic and Indian, and it made Busana Melayu looked better. There are various types of Busana Melayu, from regular people, warrior, to Sultan. Sultan and Royalties would wear one whole color, while other would mix colors.

Here's an example.
1712907623002.png

The headgear is called Tanjak, or Tengkolok. It has wide philosophy and history, and has various types that has meanings, and also various for people, noble people and Sultan. Generally, Tanjak symbolises the homeland, Tanah Melayu. The picture shows Tanjak with songket pattern, but I would wear one with simple pattern or blank.
The shirt is Baju Melayu Teluk Belanga. But there's older version of that, which called Baju Rakyat. There's also Baju Melayu Cekak Musang, which has a collar and five buttons. There's also supposed to have patterned styled Baju Melayu. The main feature that makes it Baju Melayu is "pesak" which is an additional cloth that placed in both sides of Baju Melayu, which made more comfortable to wear. If it does not contain pesak, it is not Baju Melayu.
That skirt thingy is called Samping. It can be songket cloth or pelikat cloth. The picture shown is songket pattern, while I mostly use pelikat, which like squarey, straight lines. It involes folding and rolling, just like longyi, but also have styles of folds and has meanings.
The pants is Seluar Pesak. It is wide and has rope to tie the pants from falling. It also involves folding. It's somehow is fisherman pants. It has versions too.
I sometimes wear that belt.

But if I'm in the local area, I would wear like this.
1712907859711.png

The samping was worn inside the Baju Melayu. It means I'm in local place. If it's worn outside Baju Melayu, it means I'm going outside the local place.
And I mostly wear that turban-like headgear called Semutar. I barely wear Tanjak, but I think I would wear it when going outside. Tanjak, Tengkolok and Semutar is under the category of Destar. Getam and songkok are included as well.

I got these pictures which is a tiktoker who is cultural and can do Silat martial art.

In state of Johor, it has different culture. The outfit was adjusted since Sultan Sir Abu Bakar and Sultan Ibrahim. This style is still can be seen until now. Johor is famous for Baju Melayu Teluk Belanga.
1712908884396.png

A picture from Omar Ali.

The headgear is Songkok, which looked like fez. In fact, it is influenced from fez, which Malay and Ottoman had relationships at that time.
For people, the samping would be worn inside Baju Melayu. I would sometimes wear Songkok. In fact, it became popular until now, and it's like a normal thing.

My taste is village, traditional, classical style. :cool:

Last edited:
If it was appropriate to wear casual clothes in every situation, that's what I'd wear all the time without question.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back