What art style do you prefer for human Sonic characters?

I think the main issue is that Sonic and Eggman's designs are inspired, at least in part, by older cartoon eras. Sonic resembles Mickey Mouse or Felix the cat quite a bit, and Eggman's rotund, simplistic classic design evokes a lot of that too, but no other humans have made an attempt at this. I think if you were to grab rubber-hose era humans (which there aren't that many of, and a lot of what there is is racial caricatures) and...do to them as Sonic did to Mickey or Felix (not sure how to word this), you'd end up with more characters that fit the style of the classic series better. From there, modernizing them would follow the same course as Sonic or Eggman. More detail, sharper angles, et cetera.

I'm not sure, how would you measure something like that?
Because modern Disney is a soulless modern corpo that's why.

As for humans they should be in the background at most, no talking, no quests, no stuff requiring to speak to them to advance in the main story, nothing.
Post automatically merged:

It’s really hard to say that 3D Disney is bland and soulless when several of those movies have actually touched people’s hearts emotionally and comically with Frozen, Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph being three really good examples
Ech, Frozen is kinda overrated (and the sequel wasn't that great), I didn't see Tangled but the original story was very short so it's mostly fillers.

As for Wreck-it Ralf, while it was a good movie by itself it was more like "Toy Story but with Video-games" without being about any specific game (so basically we've yet to see an actually great videogame movie).

Anyway, Sonic isn't meant to be like a Disney movie (we could even say that Nintendo is while Sega is more like Dreamworks) and maybe they should focus on few characters instead of having a dozen of NPCs.

Last edited:
Ech, Frozen is kinda overrated (and the sequel wasn't that great), I didn't see Tangled but the original story was very short so it's mostly fillers.

As for Wreck-it Ralf, while it was a good movie by itself it was more like "Toy Story but with Video-games" without being about any specific game (so basically we've yet to see an actually great videogame movie).

Anyway, Sonic isn't meant to be like a Disney movie (we could even say that Nintendo is while Sega is more like Dreamworks) and maybe they should focus on few characters instead of having a dozen of NPCs.
I agree that the original Frozen is overrated, but that’s only because it was a great movie at launch. That did lead to a very disappointing sequel, which I didn’t mention because I don’t personally like it. Tangled isn’t mostly filler because they had created their own versions of the characters, for example instead of a prince, they had an outlaw. Because of that, there was pretty much zero filler since they were telling their own version of the story. As far as Wreck-It Ralph is concerned, it isn’t like Toy Story at all aside from the “we’re alive when humans aren’t around” aspect and because it wasn’t based on any real game, they could do more with the main characters rather than step on the original developer’s toes. Do keep in mind that other characters like Q*Bert, Zangief, and Sonic were given somewhat important roles in each film. Wreck-It Ralph was never supposed to be a movie based on a game, which is why it turned out so good.

Also, focusing on NPC designs may not seem important to you, but it does help in fleshing out the world surrounding the main characters. It actually was pretty jarring to see not a single human aside from Eggman in Forces because we had never seen all these animals before

Also, focusing on NPC designs may not seem important to you, but it does help in fleshing out the world surrounding the main characters. It actually was pretty jarring to see not a single human aside from Eggman in Forces because we had never seen all these animals before
I think I remember hearing about something from an interview where there's apparently a continent where humans live and a continent where Sonic style animal people live, or something like that. In regards to Forces specifically, this would be very strange though, as Eggman apparently took over the entire world, but we don't hear anything about what the other governments tried to do about it or even G.U.N.

I think I remember hearing about something from an interview where there's apparently a continent where humans live and a continent where Sonic style animal people live, or something like that. In regards to Forces specifically, this would be very strange though, as Eggman apparently took over the entire world, but we don't hear anything about what the other governments tried to do about it or even G.U.N.
Bro I want the old Sonic world back. Where humans live over here and Sonic and friends live over here. And by here I mean different worlds.

The thing is that Sonic's world is supposed to be a more fantastical version of Earth, we didn't need to see San Francisco to be more believable.
Just look at Sonic CD or even Sonic 3&K and you get a good worldbuilding without the need to have a realistic city with humans.
Forces' overal style was jarring because it didn't looks great. Even the Mobian NPCs looked more like Boom characters instead of seeing SatAM-like ones (which fits the theme much better).
The whole two world thing is just a lazy way to explain why we don't see them in the same way why we still see the moon normally despite the fact a chunk exploded in SA2 (but it's good to not always see humans in every games).

Also the GUN doesn't exist anymore since after Sonic 2006.

Because modern Disney is a soulless modern corpo that's why.
Well, I meant more in terms of art theory. You can spot differences in art style between individual movies Pixar has made or Disney has made, but I'm not sure how you would aggregate that for a broader comparison between the two. (Also, Pixar is a soulless modern corporation too. Don't kid yourself.)

I like the artstyle of the humans from the Sonic Movie :welcometoreleases:
so basically you like normal humans
Post automatically merged:

There's been a number of different art styles used to depict human characters in Sonic over the years. The more anime styled look of Adventure and Adventure 2's humans, the more realistic inspired look of Sonic 06, and even the more Mario-like cartoon style in Unleashed. Of all the different styles used, which do you like best?

Personally, I prefer the Adventure series anime style designs. They feel like a nice middle ground; more realistic proportions, but without being too strict while still having the freedom to more easily depict a wide range of facial expressions and emotions. I don't particularly dislike Unleashed's style, I just don't personally find it as appealing as the Adventure style. The heavily realistic look of the humans in 06 just looks uncanny and disgusting most of the time to me, and doesn't feel like it fits in a world with characters such as Sonic and Tails running around.
i'd prefer humans stlyed like the humans in the mario series (like mario and luigi)

or just a mario and sonic crossover

I'm glad they never tried to make the Mobians more Human-like thanks Penders but maybe they should've made the overlanders canon to the main games instead of having a blue hedgehog casually walking among humans in a city.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back