Gravity Station
Hidden Chamber
Mountainous Saloon
Grassy Clearing
Pipeline Panic Zone
Symmetri-Canyon
Arena Station
Reviews
Rustic Templar: This is a really good map with a solid level design, a very good usage of textures and flats, likewise great usage of slopes and a banger song that reminds me of Sonic and The Secret Rings' soundtrack.

Oasis Palace: Solid level design with a fair choice of textures that puts the aesthetics on a high note. I actually enjoy it more while playing with Modern Sonic since the level design is pretty wide.

Snowflake Ridge: I didn't played Spyro but good work at the level design and aesthetics, although there were some cramped parts and death was inevitable.

Wild West: Good level design you got right here cowboy, although you could've improved in the texture work, also I'm not a fan of it's transition from a western place to some aquatic palace.

Metallic Madness: The level itself is good but way too big, making it empty. I saw your progress on Srb2 Discord server and how you implemented some complicated geometry there and I know all too well what you tried to do with this one and I'm not gonna hide it. You mentioned some stuff about the Doom community having GOD tier geometry, also mentioning notorious people like BridgeBurner, Mechadon and InsaneGazeboo and then you tried to do it yourself but you missed something while making this map. While you tried to add this kind of geometry in Srb2 I'd say the results are better at the ceilings and the floors are left empty with generic geometry and I'm gonna tell you this. Balance your usage of geometry, especially in platformers like Srb2 cause this isn't Doom where you only run and shoot (unless you want some jumping, crouching and parkour stuff via modding). Srb2 is about gameplay and functionality of the map rather than putting aesthetics and complicated geometry on a pedestal. The base geometry shapes a map's flow and adding complicated stuff without checking the functionality first will lead to double edged results.

Magma Falls: Basically a reimagined RVZ so not much to say it, although decent level design you got right here, but you should fix the lava slopes since you can't pass them without getting hurt.

Aqua Paradise: Good custom textures you got right here but the level isn't my cup of tea but I appreciate the skybox nonetheless.

Toffee Tor: Decent level design although is quite too wide and some parts feels underdetailed, especially the ceilings. Pretty good gimmick you got with the balls, I appreciate it but...
11CG7Hj.gif

this flag is just lazy and you could've done some good work with the paper textures instead of this.

Overgrown Heights: This isn't my cup of tea either, because not only the level design isn't what I expected from the map's thumbnail to be but it's also quite laggy, especially at the cramped parts.

Heroes Hall: Quite a simple level design with some fair challenges, although you should work more on the texture usage since some don't really match at all with what you tried here, also... doors shouldn't open this way.
DAeI3VR.gif

Onto some carpet rolling stuff right here.

Shadow of Atlantis: Interesting ideas and concept but the level itself looks like some stuff from 1.09.4 due to some quite bad texture work and the level design isn't what I expected to be when I saw the name. Also you can barely complete it with the vanilla characters and the fastest way to complete it is to play it with tails.

Myriad Memories: An ok concept that was quite wasted since you can barely complete it in software mode and I was forced to switch to ogl and turn off the shaders so I can finish it but not even the ogl prevented the last puzzle which was the most frustrating.

Hectic Harbor: Another level that came from the 1.09 era to see how 2.2 is doing. I dislike the texture work in this one, not only that but this feels rushed as well and sometimes you can get lost in this map with messy textures.

Concordian Coast: This one is something between 1.09 - 2.0 era but at least you got an ok skybox, although I wouldn't say the same for the level design and the choice of textures.

Valley Falls: This one was a hard pill to swallow... The level design is bad and empty and the 2d parts don't change anything, but the labyrinth was completely unnecessary and I'd assure you that some people couldn't be arsed to complete this due to the maze. I advise you to remove it, but to point out a good stuff you got some decent texture work.

Cluttered Cavern: An odd combination between demo DSZ and RVZ. The level itself is quite bland and got some cramped areas especially at the volcano part. Also what's with the ungodly amount of rings?

Anteggtica: This one definitely is incomplete and rushed. Flat level design without interesting stuff, underdetailed, a bad skybox and not to forget the bad slope work.

Crystal Cave: I can't really say much about this since this one feels like Demo 2 Hidden Palace but with worse texture choice and definitely has the cramped parts like in the Demo 2 levels.

Wasteland Wilds: A map with a concept went to waste... Not much to say about this since this one is bland and also bad texture work. The choice for the textures wasn't the wisest.

Cyan Heights: Pretty 8-bit texture work you got here, but too bad they were wasted on a shockingly short level that also had the infamous cramped level design Demo 2 style.

Hypertower: This one... but this one is the worst of all. This is Castle Eggman if it was in Demo 2 since the level design is bad and the texture choice just proves this is CEZ for Demo 2. Now tell me...
uaFlN8l.gif

What is this pointless 1.09 stuff you got right here? This was completely unnecessary especially on this level.
YYjLSXx.gif

Any reason you sent us to the skybox cause this one is also completely unnecessary.
The music is quite banger although it gives me Demo 2 vibes.
2c0
Match
Crystalline Heights: Here we go. My map that went through countless ideas and concepts and the one who set me free from the map block I had for some months. I've started this during the last bits of ULDC and challenged myself to speedmap this one the entire weekend, but it didn't happened like this and ULDC got cancelled thus letting me work on this even more. At first I had some crazy shit in my mind when I was working on this. I've planned to do the map quite dark and make all the sectors, walls and collumns that had crystal textures bright with some other polished lighting to not make it generic, plus a good colormap that heightened the aesthetics and thus needed some good light work but reconsidered it since I had to balance gameplay as well. It could've been immersive, stellar and much more than it is right now. This was the first song on my list for it.
Then I went on a less darker route with a colormap and focused in polishing the map for a better geometry to get better results for the flow. This was the second song on my list for it.
After I was done with the map's design, I started slowly to add scenery things to it, springs and weapon rings. The map remained quite the same but I chose a different song this time.
After some time, I went on a skybox crisis because I didn't really knew what skybox should I make for this one. At first I wanted to do a Firewatch type skybox with some pleasing colors but saw unfitting, had tons of placeholders till I thought for one. I had to give up on the night theme and changed the brightness to fit it in a day theme but the struggle didn't ended here. I've tested numerous skyboxes to see which one is better, even changed some visuals to blend it with the skybox. I was forced to change the song again but this time I found one that should fit with a combat type map.

At long last I've made a perfect skybox for this one but not without the help of my friends who gave me some textures and I'm grateful for their help.
ST8myRH.gif

I'm quite shocked myself how this map turned out pretty big (guess Hide and Seek dudes will have a bill on this one). I've found a better way to do maps and Crystalline Heights is the first map to ever benefit of this better way to make maps. It was quite a journey with it but this one IS COMPLETE.

cWTyw8T.png

Disco town: Pretty good match map you got here, although it looks like something from SF94, Hyperhouse, Tyrcity etc. Also I'm not a fan of making a map hybrid to blend it in two gametypes (you made your map for both match and ctf which isn't a good idea imo). Ultimately this one should work as a "Doom Center" for Srb2.

Spiral Cavern: This one is lazy and I do think you just made it right before OLDC submissions closed. Just 2 donuts man come on.

Circuit
Hydrowing: Neat circuit track you did, but it's quite unpolished and the texture choice isn't the wisest.

Greenflower Canyon: Buggy and bad level design that prevents you from finishing the track. The big collumns and sections make it too buggy and thus ruining the complicated geometry.

Haptic Caverns: Bad level design and every section is just empty. Without a doubt this one is the worst.
Control Point / Diamond in the rough
Peach Castle: Unlike Hectic Harbor, this one is actually good and shows effort. I respect you for making the castle in a lowpoly fashion and all the efforts, trials and errors were definitely worth for this one.

Glimmer Gulch: Neat canyon map you did right here. Not much to say but I guess this one is much better than Symmetri-Canyon so good job man.

SSN's Picnic: Simple battle map right here but I'd say is quite adorable since you added SSN stuff there and gives some nostalgia when I'm seeing the old designs of Sonic and Knuckles.

Battle CTF
Serene Shore: Really good map with a solid geometry for this gametype. Not much to say but it's definitely better than Moonlight.

Big Arch: I think this one works with some complicated geometry since battle maps aren't big at all so... good job with this one.

Moonlight: If I were you, I would've done something better with Serene Shore and this one. I would've combined both concepts to pull out something far more interesting, but that's just me.

Jagged Creek: Neat level design although filled with generic GFZ stuff whom affected map's aesthetics.

Arena
Gravity Station: Pretty nice stuff you got here, especially adding low gravity gimmicks to make this one interesting. I dig the visuals as well.

Hidden Chamber: Nice stuff here as well, although it gets overshadowed by Gravity Station.

Mountainous Saloon: Neat stuff you did here but you know well enough you could've worked more on the visuals to make it faithful to a Wild West saloon. Don't you?

Grassy Clearing: I dig the texture work but the map itself is quite simple, so not much to say about this.

Pipeline Panic: Just a square with other squares, almost looking like Block Fort. I would've liked it more if you had some custom texture work in this one.

Symmetri-Canyon: Lazy map right here mate. You could've done much better stuff than just some shapes, even making this one for Battle CTF since your map has "Symmetri" at the name.

Arena Station: The epitome of lazy maps. I can never conceive myself doing JUST a square, circle, triangle, etc. then add a texture and call it a day. This is just too lazy even for a battle map dude.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back