SRB1 Unused Animations Screen(?)

Vertz1515

Just another SRB2 research guy.
Apologies if this isn't very SRB2 related, but a few weeks ago, I was digging around SRB1 and noticed that level 248, which is located after the final screen of Sonic Pong and before the tutorial was a screen that I have never seen before. Essentially, it's a screen showing off 4 animations that aren't used in the game with Knothole Base playing in the background, I can't seem to find any instance where you're sent to this level, nor is there a password to access it.

hidanim.png

Animation #1 is some weird death looking sprite of what looks like Super Sonic, its name is "Ring Thing!". Animation #2 is Sonic flashing from blue to yellow to purple very rapidly, it uses the name "Hyper Sonic". Animation #3 is named "Ashura" and it's an angry green Sonic with a gray spot on his head, self explanatory. Animation #4 is titled "Cooling down" and it's of Sonic freezing (turning into a cyan color).

The reason why I'm bringing this up here is because I was planning on bringing it up in a YouTube video, and I was unsure if this screen
was unused or just some kind of obscure Easter Egg. I couldn't seem to find this in any walkthroughs of the game and checking the level's storyboard didn't really answer anything, so if anybody here knows an instance where you do encounter this, please let me know.

I remember seeing this the first time alongside you when you were digging around SRB1 for some stuff. A bit weird this was even included, but then again, I don't have the thought process of a 12 year old from the late 90's, do I?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back