Sonic 2 Movie & Sonic Frontiers

MK.exe

The one and only!
Kart Krew™️
So we got our first look at Sonic 2 Movie and Sonic Frontiers yesterday.

What are your thoughts?

Here are mine - For the Trailer of Sonic 2 im very excited and was shaking abit when i saw it. Everything looks pretty swell so far, from the Chaos (Master?) Emerald shown off to Idris Elba as Knuckles. There were countless references too in the trailer which was very cool. Not many qualms so far so let April come thru 😎

However, Sonic Frontiers... Feelings are mixed. The landscape/ "open-world Zone" idea is not new and just reminds me of BOTW and Shadow Of Colossus but i don't think this is necessary a bad idea. The lack of gameplay portrays a real sense of emptiness abit too well. The visuals look good, not too fussed about realistic style but if they went for a more cartoonist style it would of been much better. There is news that we will get a IDW writer for the story doesn't do much for me. A good story cant hold everything together.... ya know? But we'll see.

Overall I do hope they delay the game to cook in the oven more.

Anyone who played the SEGA Genesis Sonic games might guess already a part of how the Sonic 2 Movie might end...

We know Eggman will lose, "as usual i see", lol... But i also think there will be a "Sky Chase Zone" sort of thing looking at Tails' plane, so that zone might be referenced, and since Knuckles is allied with Eggman, i can bet it will be like on Sonic 3 & Knuckles where Eggman ends up being a traitor and Knux gets allied with Sonic to get revenge for it

It might be ironic, but since the most recent video game console i have is literally a Nintendo 2DS, i haven't completed any open-world game of this style, but i've seen them and i see why they are so good, so with Sonic, the concept of merging open-world with speed, seems to have a lot of potential to me (right now i don't remember if Sonic Adventure did this or at least to the big extent that seems this new game will have)

I'm really looking forward for these two and i think they'll be "way past cool", i'll come in about a year to this thread and see if this ages well or not

Here's my current thoughts on Frontiers:

I am interested to see more about what they are doing with the gameplay within an open world environment. In particular, I'm interested in how Sonic will control at various speeds, what role momentum plays in his movement if any, and exactly how familiar and how new the gameplay will feel. At this point I'd say it's most accurate to say that I'm intrigued but cautiously optimistic.

As for the story, I actually am of the opinion that story is important. I don't feel that the story should necessarily be forced on you, if you only care about the gameplay then it should be possible to skip cutscenes and dialogue and still know what you need to do to complete whatever objective you are on and enjoy the game. However for those who are interested in the story, the fact that it's about a blue hedgehog who runs fast shouldn't hold them back from telling a truly compelling story. It's okay to delve a little bit into dark and edgy themes from time to time, but Sonic doesn't need to rely on that as a crutch. Sonic storytelling has always been at it's best when the dark and edgy elements were used more like seasoning on top of mystery and suspense as the main course. The player should be on the edge of their seat wondering what comes next, and should have plenty to speculate about long after viewing the end credits.

The main problem with Sonic lore that I have is it's lack of consistency after the Adventure games, and especially starting with Colors. The characters keep getting redefined to the point where the old adventures we have seen these characters go on together feel like they are starring an entirely different cast of characters. It doesn't feel like if we took the Sonic and friends of Colors-Forces and put them through the events of Adventure, Adventure 2, or even Unleashed, they would do and say the same things. As such, it doesn't feel like we've ever really seen these characters in action aside from Sonic himself. Additionally, it's grown increasingly more like the events of previous games don't seem to matter to the events of newer games in the series. They're willing to make references, but the stories don't truly feel connected.

My big hope is that Frontiers is the start of Sonic lore being more consistent from here on. I want the stories of future games to feel like proper sequels in which the events of previous games truly matter and tie in together. Whether that means deep and complex mysteries to speculate about for decades or simple "Eggman is doing a bad thing, go stop him" stories, it should all tie in together in a way that is interesting and compelling and includes character development over time. We should be watching the main cast grow and learn new things about them, and they should be learning new things about themselves and overcoming their own personality flaws.

Most importantly of all, Sonic as the main character should have to put real effort into achieving his goals. There's nothing interesting about Forces type storytelling in which the main character loses once and then is just superior without doing anything special to achieve this. Likewise, side characters should actually be important and should never be shoehorned in. If a character appears in the story, they should have a role to fill. If there's no reason for a particular character to appear within the story, they shouldn't appear at all. However, it is okay for a character to have a character arc stretching across several games as long as there's proper buildup for it.

My thoughts in a nutshell:
- Movie will be once again not entirely what we wanted but still good and a fresh take on the series, love to see Knuckles being intimidating for once
- Game trailer showed no gameplay so I'm taking my usual approach of assuming they will fuck it up, very excited for Flynn's writing though

My thoughts in a nutshell:
- Movie will be once again not entirely what we wanted but still good and a fresh take on the series, love to see Knuckles being intimidating for once
- Game trailer showed no gameplay so I'm taking my usual approach of assuming they will fuck it up, very excited for Flynn's writing though
nope, there's that one scene with the sonic forces model, i think that's the game

Showing the player model standing still while the camera pans over a pretty background is not gameplay, even if it is technically footage of the game running.
What I want to see is something that gives us an actual idea of what the action of the game is like. I don't know about everyone else, but it's impossible to get me interested in a game without that.
You'll notice my trailers for v2.2 and Kart have been almost all gameplay -- sure, we can't afford to do super nice animations for them, but we don't need to -- they really do speak for themselves.
To be clear, I don't blame Sega for not showing anything significant yet.

Last edited:
I'm *very* excited for the Sonic movie sequel. I like how it's pulling more elements from Sonic 3 than 2, and I especially love seeing Knuckles being an antagonist- Idris is doing wonders for his voice! He apparantly is also trying really hard to get in character, as he was looking up his lore and asking lots of questions about him, which might lead to some really neat call-backs. Seeing more of Tails is neat too, they updated his look from the first movie's cameo and I like the scenes shown with him! It's a little odd they dropped Tails being a nickname Sonic came up with though. I'm just really happy to see how this is all coming together!

Frontiers is also exciting, but when gameplay is revealed I'm not afraid to rip into it, considering Forces didn't change much if at all from previews till release. I do however adore the open world style as it's been something I've wanted for years, since even Adventure! The world is realistic sure, but I like the more stylistic touches like how the rock formations are really sharp, and I have quite the hopes!

can't wait for those Sonic Frontiers reviews

"during testing, they found minimal bugs to report, and the game was functioning almost flawlessly. they decided to prolong the release because they couldn't figure out why sonic wasn't occasionally just flinging himself through random walls while the camera completely dissociates itself from all known reality. while many fans are rejoicing the idea of taking the franchise in a new direction, developers wouldn't have felt right releasing a game without such a staple feature."

I literally squeaked with joy and geeked out at Sonic going super in the second sonic movie 2.
IT FILLED ME WITH SO MUCH FLICKING JOYYYYYYYYYY
I completely love how the remastered tails and made him even fluffier than in his first appearance in the after-credits scene in Sonic 1.
I wonder if Eggman will start to look more in his Modern form in Sonic 3, since it looks like it'll be taking place in the Adventure era, with the introduction of G.U.N and Shadow?
Also I ship Eggstone ez

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back