[SOLVED] Can't replace soundfont on Linux

Azave

Member
2.2.15 seems to use some free 8-bit soundfont by default, and I'm trying to replace it. However, when pressing Backspace in the soundfont file path field, even when MIDI music is completely disabled, the game crashes immediately. And when trying to manually replace the path by directly editing config.cfg, the game doesn't seem to care and replaces the soundfont path with the 8-bit one????? I'm really not sure what to do from here...

Screenshot from 2025-10-10 08-17-17.png
 
I don't believe custom soundfonts work in the Linux port, unfortunately.
 
UPDATE: I did actually find a way to change the soundfont on Linux! (even if it's a bit scuffed)
  1. Run sudo chown [user name] /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.srb2.SRB2/current/active/files/share/games/srb2/soundfonts so that you can change files in that folder
  2. Go to that folder and delete 8bitsf.SF2 and replace it with your own soundfont. (file name is case sensitive!)
  3. Give the folder back to root with the command sudo chown root /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.srb2.SRB2/current/active/files/share/games/srb2/soundfonts
I wrote a shell script to do this automatically when the game updates:
srb2soundfont.sh:
sudo chown [user name] /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.srb2.SRB2/current/active/files/share/games/srb2/soundfonts
rm /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.srb2.SRB2/current/active/files/share/games/srb2/soundfonts/8bitsf.SF2
cp [soundfont path] /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.srb2.SRB2/current/active/files/share/games/srb2/soundfonts/8bitsf.SF2
sudo chown root /var/lib/flatpak/app/org.srb2.SRB2/current/active/files/share/games/srb2/soundfonts
 
That's a shame... Especially since SRB2 The Past uses, like, exclusively MIDI music for the older versions.
Oh well. Thanks for letting me know!
I heard changing the "SDL_SOUNDFONTS" environmental variable to the path of your .sf2 works
 

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back
Top