Recommended Gamepad settings for Beginners (Starter Guide)

Hello Everybody, so I LOVE this game, but could never originally get the hang of it with the default keyboard and mouse controls, plus I prefer using a gamepad if I could get away with it (and wonderfully enough this game does let me do that)

I noticed new players who play with a gamepad struggling and wanted to chime in my settings, as I have little to no issue controlling the game.

If you're like me you may have approached this game coming from a background playing other 3D Sonic games, so I wanted to help those new get the hang of controlling the game with a gamepad with some recommendations.
I have been playing with these settings for almost a year now, and have been able to finish the game (and almost complete it with all emblems) multiple times. It's very possible with enough practice to play optimally (Like bouncing on enemies with Sonic in a chain, Maintaining momentum for shortcuts for Time Attack Emblems, ect..) and have complete control of you momentum and precision (Even managed to finish all the levels in Mystic Realm as Sonic alone, if that means anything).

FIRST AND FOREMOST!
*Since this game is built and designed using an engine made for first person shooters, total camera control is a MUST! DO NOT modify your controls to be like other 3D Sonic games (Like making JUMP A and B SPIN), as you will not only have difficulty aiming your jumps, but will also have a far more challenging time facing bosses, and keeping your momentum under control.

I Also have been only playing on SIMPLE MODE with Automatic Braking turned ON, this lets you aim your character without having to turn the camera at a rapid pace, and not have to pull back the analog stick every time to slow down, and is a lifesaver if you want to maintain quick maneuvers (So long as you have decent Object Permanence) for traversal through the stages.

So, Under your CONTROL SETUP in the CONTROL CONFIGURATION

MAKE SURE- JUMP & SPIN are on your preferred shoulder buttons (I use L for SPIN, and R for JUMP)
MAKE SURE- CENTER CAMERA is on a FACE Button (A,B,X,Y) I set it to the bottom FACE button (A for XBOX, X for Playstation, B for Nintendo controllers)
You can additionally make CUSTOM 1, 2 and 3 the other 3 FACE buttons for abilities of Addon Character mods.

I have also configured my D-PAD to different things like CHANGE VIEWPOINT so that I can go into first person when necessary.

Under GAMEPAD OPTIONS

I recommend setting the ANALOG DEADZONE EQUAL to the default digital dead zone (This helps for moving straight without accidentally moving left or right to prevent falling), unless you have a far more precise thumb than I do.

I use an XBOX ONE controller but I know these settings may match other controllers from my experience.
MOVEMENT FORWARDS AND BACKWARD - X-AXIS
MOVEMENT LEFT AND RIGHT - Y-AXIS
CAMERA UP AND DOWN (for FIrst Person use) - Y-RUDDER-
CAMERA LEFT AND RIGHT (Turning) - X-RUDDER

FIRST PERSON VERT LOOK- ON (This lets you aim the camera up and down in first person)
Note: I DO NOT recommend having THIRD PERSON VERT LOOK ON as you rarely actually have to do that, and it being ON may get in the way of proper aiming and precision with your jumps. The game rarely requires you to actually do this anyway.

CAMERA OPTIONS
FLIP CAMERA WITH GRAVITY - YES (I would have had this on with KB+M anyway)
ORBITAL LOOKING- ON
DOWNHILL SLOPE ADJUSTMENT- ON

Since you are moving your character independent of the camera its a good idea to pull back the camera so you can get a good view of the landscape you are traversing, because your camera movement speed cannot rival that of a mouse that can zip where it wants to get a good look at things.

CAMERA DISTANCE- 254
CAMERA HEIGHT- 58

The Android port does this automatically within it's resolution adjustments settings.

OTHER TIPS
-AS Sonic get used to aiming your thok with the control stick because you will not be able to move that camera as fast as a mouse, it took me some time to properly gauge angles with the game and Sonic's ability, but over time I adjusted to being able to hit things that aren't lined up right in front of me with little error.

-Get used to pulling back the control stick to properly aim your jumps on small platforms. Momentum is the name of the game here, Pushing forward as hard as possible after a jump every time will see you falling often, get the hang of the distance your character can jump at High and Low speeds.

***The Metal Sonic Race is by far the BEST STAGE to test your ability to control your character's momentum management, Jump precision and speed. If I can beat it the time attack emblem on it with Sonic while keeping 50 rings for the ring emblem, so can you!

Locking on during Bosses can help, but is not required if you have a good handle controlling the camera (I beat the game my first time with a controller not knowing I could even lock on).

The game is difficult at first, very challenging at later stages, but you can optimally play with practice. Don't be discouraged! The game offers such control over your character's speed and movement that it becomes damn euphoric at higher level play, whether you're on a gamepad or using a mouse and keyboard, and I don't think anyone should miss out!

this was vary helpful thank you. for your help here's a funny image.
1694055359204.png

According to the wiki

Oatmeal is a preparation of oats that have been de-husked, steamed, and flattened, or a coarse flour of hulled oat grains (groats) that have either been milled (ground), rolled, or steel-cut. Ground oats are also called white oats. Steel-cut oats are known as coarse oatmeal, Irish oatmeal, or pinhead oats. Rolled oats were traditionally thick old-fashioned oats, but can be made thinner or smaller, and may be categorized as quick oatmeal or instant oatmeal depending on the cooking time required, which is determined by the size of the oats and the amount of precooking.

According to the wiki

Oatmeal is a preparation of oats that have been de-husked, steamed, and flattened, or a coarse flour of hulled oat grains (groats) that have either been milled (ground), rolled, or steel-cut. Ground oats are also called white oats. Steel-cut oats are known as coarse oatmeal, Irish oatmeal, or pinhead oats. Rolled oats were traditionally thick old-fashioned oats, but can be made thinner or smaller, and may be categorized as quick oatmeal or instant oatmeal depending on the cooking time required, which is determined by the size of the oats and the amount of precooking.
lol
thxs for the info

Replying to a thread saying that you didn't read the thread is spam.
I ain't reading that 💀💀💀
Post automatically merged:

Is there a way for me to play the game without having the jump button on the shoulder buttons?
Post automatically merged:

this was vary helpful thank you. for your help here's a funny image.View attachment 100245
Did you really just ask what oatmeal is?

Last edited:
I ain't reading that 💀💀💀
Then you don't get the help. You aren't owed help, so don't be picky when that help involves a bit of reading.
Is there a way for me to play the game without having the jump button on the shoulder buttons?
The post explains this. Also, check your Gamepad Options and make sure you have Jump Axis set to none.
Did you really just ask what oatmeal is?
This is a meme that went over your head.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back