Need help making DS port for SRB2

kctobor

I'm thinking maybe I can make a DS port of SRB2 with the DS ram expansion pack. Would this be possible?

Just to say if you don't know...

There was a DS ram expansion pack released by Nintendo that gave you 16MB of RAM instead of 4MB. and it would go into the GBA cartridge slot. It was made only for their internet browser application, however some homebrew uses this extra RAM.

And some 3rd party's even allowed 32MB of RAM. That's how much RAM the Wii has!

I remember hearing the SRB2 DS port ran out of RAM memory, so with the expansions, it'll probably get to the title screen, at least.

However it might lag when playing, so I am thinking maybe to make a special optimized renderer like the 3DS did.

You are going to need a little more than 16 megabytes of memory to run SRB2 2.2 on a Nintendo DS.
Apart from, you know, processing power.

1653426071941.png

This is how much memory the game consumes when starting up the game and having it linger on the title screen for about 10 seconds.

You are going to need a little more than 16 megabytes of memory to run SRB2 2.2 on a Nintendo DS.
Apart from, you know, processing power.

View attachment 69869
This is how much memory the game consumes when starting up the game and having it linger on the title screen for about 10 seconds.
I am not going to port 2.2 to the DS. Most likely 1.09.4 or earlier

You are still going to need about five of these RAM expansions to run 1.09.4 on a DS.
Either that or heavy optimizations.

1653532215815.png

Good luck!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back