Name your Top 5 favorite Sonic Characters- 1, 2, 3 GO!

junioX

あなたが見たもの、それがあなたの手に入れたものだ!ただの冒険好きな男です!
1st: Sonic The Hedgehog (1991 - 2008): I'm a firm believer that his character took a straight nose-dive after the 2000s

2nd: Shadow The Hedgehog (2001 - 2006): Again, took a nose-dive after the 2000s. Shadow 05 wrote him the best, you guys just didn't play the game in Japanese. In fact, I'm 90% sure that most you guys have no idea that after Shadow 05, Shadow no longer cares about Maria or anything that happened on the Ark. Because I've heard quite the number of people say that it's stupid for Shadow to join G.U.N in 06 considering that they killed Maria. But it isn't because the Shadow in 05 and 06 are not the same as the Shadow from SA2 and they don't care about Maria or the Ark.

3rd: Miles "Tails" Prower (1992 - 2001) Originally, he was just a smart kid who was interested in machines and gizmos, but SA2 made him a genius scientist able to create a friggin' Chaos Emerald, which is kinda weird. In Sonic 2 he was a shy kid who got bullied for his two tails and was extremely self-conscious about that. But after seeing Sonic he gets inspired by his speed and his care-free attitude. He was able to keep up with Sonic thanks to his two tails and the time that he spent with him made him able to overcome the anxiety he feels. And at the end of the game, Tails uses Sonic's plane to help him get to the Death Egg after he repaired it when was shot down by the Fortress, and still, saves Sonic at the end of the game, taking on his own Hero role, going out with a bang, and cementing a strong friendship. Seriously, the story for Sonic 2 is amazing, especially for a game at the time. Everyone praises S3&K's story because they communicate the events of the story with not a single word, but Sonic 2 does not get it's credit for it's stellar character development of Tails.

4th: Eggman (1991 - 2001): Can we all just recognize that Eggman says "You can't do anything, so don't even try. Get some help. Don't do what Sonic does. Sonic dead or alive, is mine." as the lyrics in Metallic Madness Bad Future? Sonic CD just generally had a more darker tone than the other Classics, and it was really complemented with the Funky feeling too. One of the best aesthetics in a Sonic game in my opinion, but sadly I don't think it's coming back anytime soon. Naofumi Hataya and Masafumi Ogata really outdid themselves with the OST. Oh, and we can't forget Spencer Nilsen, David Young and Mark Crew with the US OST, who all outdid themselves too, especially with both of the Sonic Boom songs performed by Pastiche. Specifically Sandy Cressman, Jenny Meltzer and Becky West. And we can literally not mention Sonic CD without paying respect to the Studio Junio Cutscences animated by Hisashi Eguchi and Toshiyuki Komaru. Did I mention that Sonic CD is the greatest Sonic game?...... Oh, right... Eggman... Uhhhhh he was best in Sonic X and garbage in Frontiers, fight me.

5th: Amy Rose (1993 - 2008): what's been bugging me recently, is the way that Sonic Team has been treating Amy. These days, Amy is part of the main team and is as strong as Sonic and friends. But, that has literally never been part of her character. Up until.. I'd say Sonic Heroes, she's been portrayed as a physically strong character that can put up a good fight in battle. But can I just say, that is such a lame way to handle her as a character? Originally, Amy was a normal, common girl who was interested in Tarot Cards. Her interest in fortune tellings was meant to communicate the fact that she was a common girl because, in Japan, it was common for little girls and young women to be interested in fortune tellings. She was just a regular little girl. This is reinforced by her story in SA1, where she is constantly being chased by Zero, a very weak Eggman robot. A robot who she is always running away from but one that Sonic could easily take care of. Even when Amy takes on and destroys Zero, it's played as a Final Boss Fight, something that if Sonic was fighting, would only be played as a small enemy that only took 2 or 3 hits. Amy was weak and her character Arc in SA1 was to prove that Amy wasn't useless. The point of Amy's development was to show that you don't need to be strong or have super powers to be a hero. Back when Amy was weak she was a regular person without any special powers to her name. She didn't have any strengths, but she had the compassion to help little flicky find his family again. And by her getting through to Shadow, telling him that he needs to help the people of Earth, she technically saved the world, because without her, the Biolizard would've prevented Sonic from reaching the Chaos Emeralds because Shadow wasn't there to hold it off. THAT is Amy's strength, THAT is Amy's character, it's her strength OF character, that fact that she is very compassionate and kind and cares about everyone. That is what makes Amy stand out as a character and that enables her to do things that other characters can't do. And making Amy a strong character would only serve to weaken her as a character, to make her less unique. So with her communicating with Shadow, she can help save the world in a way that only SHE can. But these days, she's on par with the likes of Knuckles! And like, where is this coming from? All we got was a small development in Amy's character where she learns that she can be a Hero in her own little way, despite the fact that she doesn't have the abilities of, say Sonic or Shadow. And now we're at the stage where she is keeping up with Sonic in speed? And for what? Where is the context to justify this? And I've heard people say that Amy's gotten stronger because she's been hanging around Sonic often but we have never seen anything to actually prove that that's the case. And even if Amy were to get stronger, she should never be depicted as being as strong as Knuckles and yet that is often how she is shown. If you look at the Sonic Origins ending cutscene, she is shown to be working with Knuckles, piling up mountains of destroyed Eggman robots together. Since when as Amy been as strong as the character who's whole THING is that he's strong? And then you go to Frontiers and you see that Amy's entire attack scheme are Tarot Cards.. Like that was her whole character back then... And then you see Amy and Sonic interact and it's like "these two are friends" and then you go to SA1 and you see that Sonic doesn't feel very comfortable around Amy. So essentially these 2 characters just went "we're cool now" and that was it. No moments in between to show these characters softening up towards one another. "Oh BuT LoOK aT uS We CAn pAy HOMagE ToO pAsT eVENts EverY TWo SeCOnds aND wE HAve aNimE bOSs fighTS!!!!11!!111!!!"

Sorry, that just devolved into a Sonic Frontiers rant. Anyway, to get a more structured version of what I said about Amy, go watch Pariah695's video on Youtube titled: "Let's Talk About Amy" and while you're at it, watch his "What is it about Sonic" and "Sonic is Fundamentally Japanese" Videos and his "Sonic Was Always Good" Playlist, where he talks about the gameplay of all of the Sonic Games. Seriously, couldn't recommend his content enough. Anyway what are your Top 5 Sonic Characters? It's not necessary to detail why, but I'd appreciate it nonetheless.

1.- Metal Sonic (CD to Heroes)
2.- Sonic (Uekawa era)
3.- Eggman (1991 to Shadow the Hedgehog)
4.- Shadow (Adventure 2 to Shadow the Hedgehog)
5.- Tails (1992 to idk when he started to be an terciary character)

SA2 sonic
Shadow 05 shadow
IDW silver
Rush Blaze
SA1 knukles

BONUS
Big
Sonic Man

No particular order whatsoever

1) -Shadow the technically an orphan hedgehog
2)-Miles Tails Prower, an actual orphan
3)-The fucking bomb
4)-Mighty is an anthropomorphic armadillo with black fur that covers his body and a red thick armor, which rounds from his forehead above to his lower back. His pointy tail is black, like his body. Mighty's ears are side facing and funnel-shaped, and he has a medium-long and sharp black nose. Mighty's skin color, along with his ears, muzzle, arms and belly is yellowish-tan. He also has interconnected, cartoonish, circular eyes with black pupils, and wears white gloves with sock-like cuffs.
5)-And finally: the fucking bomb

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back