modded maps tank my fps

RitzyJuice885

make believes reborn
Before, SRB2 ran fine on my pc but recently modded maps (specifically this year's OLDC) are INCREDIBLY slow. Like some maps are straight up unplayable. Is there anything I can do to mitigate lag or am I just meant to deal with it

Before, SRB2 ran fine on my pc but recently modded maps (specifically this year's OLDC) are INCREDIBLY slow. Like some maps are straight up unplayable. Is there anything I can do to mitigate lag or am I just meant to deal with it
Here is things you can do to increase performance:

1. Modifying your Video Settings
For simplicity (and the sake of other people), I've spoiler'd it to reduce the size and give a better walkthrough. So click away and read!
You can decrease the resolution to a lower value like here:
1695348500642.png

Pressing enter, you can then go to this screen:
1695348690670.png

If you resolution is in the first column, trying going as low as to the second column, and so forth for lower resolutions. Lower = less quality, more performance, higher = more quality, less performance
From the first image, you can also change renderers (even through F10 or by pressing ENTER on the option):
1695348500642.png

Software
- Utilizes the CPU only, more performance intensive if CPU is not powerful on its own
- Supports more wicked effects and cool stuff (like Visual Portals)
- No models (if you prefer them)
- Limited color space
- Blendmodes are kinda muddy
OpenGL (Recommended)
- Utilizes both the CPU and GPU, typically has high performance gains over software
- Misses out on some minor effects (e.g water's surface)
- Model Support
- Full Color Space
- Blendmodes (or the glowing effect in some mods) look 10x better

At the bottom of the Video Options you can find this, press ENTER on here:
1695349525126.png

Once in there you have extra options to fiddle around with, specifically these:
1695349575435.png

1695349596080.png

You can turn off shaders and make Bit Depth and Anisotropic at lower values to get minor performance gains
Also in the video options, near where the OpenGL options are, is these:
1695349681472.png

These options can give you minor to major performance gains depending how low they are, most of the time these do not need to be extremely high. Draw distance is the distance (in fracunits) where all objects stop rendering, the weather draw distance is for effects like CEZ1's rain, and nights hoops are self-explanatory. Higher values = more object density per frame, less performance, lower values = less object density per frame, more performance

2. Reducing the number of addons loaded (and messing around with addon-specific settings)
Fairly simple, the less addons loaded, the less things SRB2 has to handle. If the addon you're playing has graphics settings, crank them lower to reduce the load. While 2.2.10 heavily increased the limit, it doesn't mean you should push it, considering you're probably not going to play long enough to get through everything.

3. Reducing or outright closing background activities
Also a really simple one, even the same mechanics from the last one! We all know that the less things you have open, the less your CPU has to process (and a bit of GPU, but we don't care), which increases performance. You can fiddle with the settings of many apps to reduce the amount of CPU utilization they have in the background, or outright just close some of them! Especially in this day and age, where a good majority of people have a computer and a phone, you could just open it on the phone!

If any of these still do not help (which they probably will), you either have:
A. A potato of a computer
B. Are on a android, that is also a potato
C. Your device just can't handle the OLDC 2023 levels, maybe wait for optimizations in the levelpack to come by?

Attachments

• 1695348646018.png
    1695348646018.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 38
Here is things you can do to increase performance:

1. Modifying your Video Settings
For simplicity (and the sake of other people), I've spoiler'd it to reduce the size and give a better walkthrough. So click away and read!
You can decrease the resolution to a lower value like here:View attachment 101166
Pressing enter, you can then go to this screen:View attachment 101168
If you resolution is in the first column, trying going as low as to the second column, and so forth for lower resolutions. Lower = less quality, more performance, higher = more quality, less performance
From the first image, you can also change renderers (even through F10 or by pressing ENTER on the option):
View attachment 101166
Software
- Utilizes the CPU only, more performance intensive if CPU is not powerful on its own
- Supports more wicked effects and cool stuff (like Visual Portals)
- No models (if you prefer them)
- Limited color space
- Blendmodes are kinda muddy
OpenGL (Recommended)
- Utilizes both the CPU and GPU, typically has high performance gains over software
- Misses out on some minor effects (e.g water's surface)
- Model Support
- Full Color Space
- Blendmodes (or the glowing effect in some mods) look 10x better

At the bottom of the Video Options you can find this, press ENTER on here:
View attachment 101169
Once in there you have extra options to fiddle around with, specifically these:
View attachment 101170
View attachment 101171
You can turn off shaders and make Bit Depth and Anisotropic at lower values to get minor performance gains
Also in the video options, near where the OpenGL options are, is these:
View attachment 101172
These options can give you minor to major performance gains depending how low they are, most of the time these do not need to be extremely high. Draw distance is the distance (in fracunits) where all objects stop rendering, the weather draw distance is for effects like CEZ1's rain, and nights hoops are self-explanatory. Higher values = more object density per frame, less performance, lower values = less object density per frame, more performance

2. Reducing the number of addons loaded (and messing around with addon-specific settings)
Fairly simple, the less addons loaded, the less things SRB2 has to handle. If the addon you're playing has graphics settings, crank them lower to reduce the load. While 2.2.10 heavily increased the limit, it doesn't mean you should push it, considering you're probably not going to play long enough to get through everything.

3. Reducing or outright closing background activities
Also a really simple one, even the same mechanics from the last one! We all know that the less things you have open, the less your CPU has to process (and a bit of GPU, but we don't care), which increases performance. You can fiddle with the settings of many apps to reduce the amount of CPU utilization they have in the background, or outright just close some of them! Especially in this day and age, where a good majority of people have a computer and a phone, you could just open it on the phone!

If any of these still do not help (which they probably will), you either have:
A. A potato of a computer
C. Your device just can't handle the OLDC 2023 levels, maybe wait for optimizations in the levelpack to come by?
omg thank you sm the oldc is actually playable now

I should probably add that since 2.2.11, some Android devices also have less FPS than 2.2.10 (I experience it on mine, but i cannot test on other phones since i only have 1)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back