Impressions of SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemini

That was quite the netgame late this night... there were 6 people total at one point, all from the happy-fun listserv command :)

Once all the players were ganging up onto the server we played Air Haven to 2000 points and Crystal Void to 5000. The Crystal Void match lasted over 20 minutes and resulted in more flying rings than you could count!

It's kinda weird though how some nights when I host only one or two people join and other nights, specifically tonight, over 9 different people had joined my server, thought the most at any point in time was 6 in Air Haven. Of course, I've only been hosting games since, geeze... four or five days ago, about the same time I started playing online.

It's about midnight here right now... I meant to stop playing an hour ago so I could work on my game. *shrugs* Goes to show how good this game really is.

I've also come to know a few people through the netgames. SRB2-Playah, FuriousFox, Shuffle, and two others who's names are very much the same and both start with A so I have trouble remembering them. I've also played against Mystic and a441... I must say, if you're involved with a game you certainly know how to play it, and they demonstrated their SRB2 skills remarkably.

I've actually been playing SRB2 since the very first demo release, and combined with my Quake 3 and Sonic 3D Blast skills I've become very good at this game in single player in record time, though I've learned through netgaming that Human actions certainly change the perspective of how good you are.

Reminds me of those Warcraft III players who say they've mastered the game, then go online for their first time and get slaughtered in under 30 seconds.

Being a programmer myself I've got a lot of respect for the people who've sacrificed huge amounts of time to make this game. A dual-3D-graphics engine, running off of BSP tree 2 1/2D maps, with hand-drawn 8-way sprites, dynamic lighting, a console system, split-screen support and internet gaming with multiple game modes, that's not something you put together overnight, especially when it can't make you any money because it's based on a franchise a much larger company owns.

Those are my impressions of SRB2 now that I've swallowed a much more complete experience than just the single player aspect. The only things I have left to try in this game are Coop and CTF.

L8r, everyone!

--- Gemini

P.S.: In case anyone's curious, My website is "http://www.pixelships.com". Perhaps some of you have heard of it? In either case, that's where my current projects reside for download if you want to check them out.

Say, on your front page...

You see, I hit an interesting snag today with CGA Solar Warriors. The random number generator in Visual C++ 6.0 can only output numbers between 0 and 32767. Normally that's good enough for anybody but I need the ability to take some rediculously large numbers and it's important for EVERY number to be possible. True, I could just take more than one random number and do some math with them but then I'll end up with certain numbers more often than others.
Can't you just use a long instead of an int? I'm afraid my C++ is still rather limited (though I seem to be significantly better than some of my other classmates at it), so forgive me if I'm hilariously wrong.

Can't you just use a long instead of an int?

The output of the rand() function in Visual C++ 6.0 still doesn't go past 32767, regardless of what kind of variable you store the result in. Thank Microsoft for that one.

--- Gemini

Supply your own PRNG. Mersenne Twister is good. Links: 1 2 3

The third link is the inventors' site, and has easy-to-use C code. Of course, you could just copy SRB2's wonderful cryptographically secure random number lookup table, from m_random.c. It has the wonderful property of just being 256 numbers with values from 0 to 255. (Actually its wonderful property is being synchronised during netgames, using binaries compiled with different C libraries. Mersenne Twister, seeded properly, is like that too.)

Anyway, about the netgame. Yeah, that was a wild game. I dunno about my knowing how to play, though. Shuf creamed me pretty badly in the second and third rounds.

It's pretty much pure coincidence you got the visitors you did. Someone happened to type !gamelist at the right time in #srb2, and that's why at least four people (myself included) were there. I actually joined because Shuf complained about having lots of wads to download, and I wanted the wads. But seeing it was on my favorite level, I decided to stay.

If you came by #srb2, it wouldn't all seem so coincidental. Anyway, looking forward to more of your hosted games in the future. With your connection, you could probably handle like 12 players. FuriousFox has about half the upstream, I think, and can do 8-10.

12 people?!?! Okay, Gemini, I order you to host a netgame on Triad Trials right now. What? Don't have it...ummm....*runs*

a441 said:
Shuf creamed me pretty badly in the second and third rounds.

Yes, yes I did ^_^ *bean'd*

Anyway, that was a pretty awesome netgame, the best one I've been in for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back