I need help with ZB

Soniku11

So, often when i do my maps, and start drawing random lines, seeing on which way i can build something specific, i get to happen this issue, which the map itself breaking, as i deleted a line, leaving a sector open, its been happening since very long time ago now.

I have no idea why does it happen, nor how to fix it. The ZB has the default settings, i only added the resources to start building on Srb2 2.2.
It happens more commonly than i would wish, and specifically when i create a vertex inside of a sector, leaving the linedef there, in need of being dragged to merge to wherever its supposed to be the "cut".

In this case, as shown in the video, that "cut" its meant to represent a lake, but i cannot get to draw these lines, without getting the sectors around it to break entirely. It has happened multiple times, on several of my maps, since a very long time ago, maybe a few months, and im honestly very stressed by this crap. I NEED HELP PLEASE.

PD: i couldnt attach the video directly, because it was recorded as an MKV, because my low-end PC, and dont mind the music, its just a habit of mine to help me ease the hard work
Post automatically merged:

News. Fortunately i been able to fix it, by selecting the "Merge Dragged vertices only" option on the upper tool bar.

Yet its still annoying as fuck, and im not the only one who had that issue

Attachments

• 2023-10-24 11-33-12.rar
    7.6 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
So, often when i do my maps, and start drawing random lines, seeing on which way i can build something specific, i get to happen this issue, which the map itself breaking, as i deleted a line, leaving a sector open, its been happening since very long time ago now.
This is normal, you deleted a linedef that you should not have. Use the Merge Sectors tool instead of deleting linedefs when you want to merge sectors. Liberal use of the Make Sectors tool when this issue happens will help resolve it.

I would advise being a bit more delicate. Doom editing is complex and this quirk is not restricted to ZB or SRB2.

This is normal, you deleted a linedef that you should not have. Use the Merge Sectors tool instead of deleting linedefs when you want to merge sectors. Liberal use of the Make Sectors tool when this issue happens will help resolve it.

I would advise being a bit more delicate. Doom editing is complex and this quirk is not restricted to ZB or SRB2.
I think you havent properly saw what i did on the video, so lemme describe my issue.

At random times, whenever i start CREATING, (not deleting) lines, because of the default config of ZB being that all sectors you create or move linedefs or vertex always refresh every move you do, so this means that if there is an open sector inside an already existing sector, the one that hasnt been closed yet, can often lead to the others around it breaking, making the program think none is closed yet.

And as i said, i already got to fix it, and it apparently was easier than i thought. I just had to change one config to "Merge dragged Vertex only", so that way, sectors which i move their vertices, wont be updated whenever i move them, or create new inside them
Post automatically merged:

PD: Besides, using the "Make Sector" tool only makes it worse, because i'd have to rebuild and readjust the whole area, as all sectors around Would get their height, texture and all info completely reset, which in case of an area with a lot of sectors around, it's basically the same as doing it from scratch all over again, because you need to again fix the height and textures of said sectors which got affected.

I think you havent properly saw what i did on the video, so lemme describe my issue.

At random times, whenever i start CREATING, (not deleting) lines,
i get to happen this issue, which the map itself breaking, as i deleted a line, leaving a sector open, its been happening since very long time ago now
Don't leave sectors open in general. But if you re-close a sector that was open, using the Make Sectors tool can help fix it. Hope this helps for the future.

Don't leave sectors open in general. But if you re-close a sector that was open, using the Make Sectors tool can help fix it. Hope this helps for the future.
I insist. It does not, and it even makes the situation even worse. But as i already said, i already solved myself long ago. PLEASE READ

I insist. It does not, and it even makes the situation even worse. But as i already said, i already solved myself long ago. PLEASE READ
I am leaving information here for anyone else who stumbles upon this with the same issue. As an experienced mapper, the Make Sectors tool can help when ZB refuses to recognize sectors as whole. It's good that you found another fix though.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back