How to make traversal in vanilla Sonic Frontiers fun again. (With pseudo momentum and drop dash)

Aquavine

📀🌻Frutiger Aero enjoyer :3🌻📀
BEWARE THE WORD SALAD (I'm not used to writing this much in english yet :C)
Everyone is saying that Sonic Frontiers doesn't have momentum and slopes don't make a difference in your speed, but actually there is momentum. It's just "locked" behind few simple option changes. And momentum is most noticable with the drop dash that barely anyone uses. In my opinion people kinda miss out on the fun of using the drop dash, because the rolling state uses the slopes in way that you would expect from a Sonic game. Yes, you can keep your speed and even gain it if the hill is steep enough.

How to turn boost into momentum based dash mode - So basically, to open Sonic Frontiers inner adventure self, you have to change the boost settings in such a way that Sonic will start from zero speed and he will slowly speed up to his max speed by running (just like the dash mode ability from SRB2!), or if you want to gain max speed quicker you can just run down a slope!
To achive this effect you have to change your speed options like this:

Initial boost speed 0% - It will make so that every time you boost Sonic starts from the slowest b.speed and speed up to the fastest b.speed depending on your acceleration rate and how high this option is set. For example if you set it to 50% Sonic will start from 50% of his max boost speed.
Acceleration X% - This option sets how quick your boost accelerates, you can change this option to your own liking, but if you want the real adventure type feel, you should set it to 0%
Other options that can enchance your experience:
Boost turning speed X% - The sharper your turn is while boosting the more speed you lose. Can be used so that you can't run in circle to build speed.
Starting speed X% - This option works just like initial boost speed but for jogging. If this option is set at 0% Sonic will start from a slow walk, and slowly speed up to his normal jogging speed.
Turning speed X% - This option works just like boost turning speed but again, for jogging. I personally have this option around 75% or higher because Sonic speeds up really slow while jogging and even the softest turn can make Sonic lose his speed which can make even the simplest platforming really frustrating.

Using the drop dash as psedo spindash - People see drop dash as just poor mans spindash, but it's closer to spindash from classic games than the update 2 spindash boost (You can't change my mind, it's just boosting but Sonic spins instead) but in the real Sonic Frontiers fashion, the drop dash has it's own silly little quirks.

Locked steering at high dash speed - For some wierd reason if your drop dash is strong enough that it reaches the blue marker at the speed meter, you are completely locked out of making any turns until you slow down below the blue marker. It doesn't happen if you reach the blue marker again, it just happens the first time you touch the ground. (Why though, w h y) Also remember that drop dash by itself has pretty stiff steering, even outside high speeds.
Drop dash cancel - This ones pretty simple, you can cancel drop dash by either jumping out of it, or just throwing a simple punch. (This one cancels out your speed too though.)
Rolling physics - While rolling Sonic can use the slopes to keep his speed or even gain it at more steep hills, in Rhea for example.
Weaker drop dash - If you hold jump right before touching the ground the drop dash will be weaker than if you were to hold it longer, that can be useful to unlock your steering earlier, because drop dash at 99 lvl speed stays at full speed for a few moments before it starts to slow down. It's kinda precise to pull off, but use you can use the squash effect on the spinball as a guide. Time it in such a way so that the animation will stop the moment you touch the ground.

And that's it, unless I forgot about something. Also here is the video that I learned about the momentum boost trick from:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back