Fangame inspired by SRB2's thok! - Looking for feedback

Ice

Pretty chill guy
2022-01-02 Ball Bash Bonanza Demo.gif

Hi everyone!

I made a prototype game inspired by SRB2, particularly the thok ability, and I'm looking for some feedback. It's a short-but-sweet single level that shouldn't take you more than 1 or 2 minutes, and you can play it right in your browser here:

The whole idea is this: what if a homing attack didn't aim for you? SRB2's thok is somewhat like this, but it doesn't use the thok as much as it could - busting through walls, changing direction in midair, chaining enemy blasts together, etc - none of that is necessary to actually do anything in SRB2. Another way to think about this is this: what if a platformer took full advantage of WASD + Mouse input like shooters do? I can't think of any platformers that do, but if you can think of one, please let me know!

1641270808384.png

"Aiming" and "Firing" with the mouse

The initial plan was to do this whole thing in 3D, but I simplified it by going in 2D first and am now considering fleshing out the 2D aspect more. Some of the feedback I'm hoping to get is in the spoiler below:

A. is the airdash too weak? too strong?
B. is the player speed too slow? too fast?
C. how do you feel about the aiming laser?
D. if I continue with this 2D version, what kind of theme would be cool? A wrecking ball becomes sentient and begins smashing through buildings? Another talking animal game? etc.
D1. for that matter, what in general would be cool to see fleshed out in this sort of game? grappling hooks? gravity manipulation? etc.
E. any thoughts you have on 2D vs 3D for this kind of idea?

Any feedback at all is appreciated. If all you do is play it, then stop by to say it sucks, I'll still be grateful! And by the way, if you want to collaborate with me on my little project, reach out to me by DM or on Discord (username ICE). I am quite lacking in the sprite art/3D modeling/animation department.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back