Can we get the SRB2 2.1.25-1.09.4 MS back?

Snappy_Trashcan

Stakin ur mom sta-sta-sta-stalking ur mom
in like early 2021-2022 the ms server broke and i was like "damn thats shit" but i realized you could STILL join netgames with a command "connect (hosts ip)"

Last edited:
Join by IP or use a master server supporting 2.1(I don't know any).
During 2.2(probably 2.2.3 or something) master server protocol changed breaking compatibility with 2.0 and 2.1.

Join by IP or use a master server supporting 2.1(I don't know any).
During 2.2(probably 2.2.3 or something) master server protocol changed breaking compatibility with 2.0 and 2.1.
i know but, my friend once tried to host and it did'nt work

Last edited:
As a player you shouldn't bother.
It's just Windows Defender may block hosting(with a Windows popup when first time hosting asking if you want to allow people joining or not).

As a multi version hoster, you should use AutoPunch. It sets a connection between your IPV4 and the host's IPV4. It works on any version of SRB2 that supports Internet Hosting. In fact, even Doom Legacy supports hosting. So, if your friend has AutoPunch and you too, you can join him. But if he doesn't have AutoPunch, you cannot join.

ok, this is basically what i'll say on this:
2.1 servers are not supported anymore, and i'll bet 2.1 (and 2.0) servers will NEVER be supported
i get the want/need, a lot of mods from 2.1 have not been ported yet, the physics are different, and it's very different from the modern 2.2.13 we all know today, but otherwise it'd be much better to use 2.2, and i'm pretty sure multi-version master servers never existed, but i joined in 2.2.8 where it was long gone so i wouldn't know
i don't believe that stjr will ever make another official master server support v2.1, v2.0, v1.09.4, or any older versions, it'd probably cost a lot more hosting two seperate master servers, let alone one for an outdated version of srb2 which will not get any more updates, and remember that the developers of stjr do not get more money from srb2, or anything related to sonic (this isn't sonic omens folks)
finally, port forwarding is the best thing to do, in my case, i cannot port forward due to my router, so i use(d) autopunch... but i'll say it's absolutely PAINFUL to use, not to host, but because NOBODY JOINS, and even if you ask, they probably will not install third party software because you cannot port forward. if you CAN port forward (and you want to host), PORT FORWARD
and i'm pretty sure srb2 servers aren't supposed to lag with 2 people on, just saying
tl;dr: just host 2.2, it's much better, you'll be lucky if you can host 2.0 or 2.1, but be warned that if you find a bug, it will not be patched, as it's probably already been patched in 2.2
it's 2023, you're trying to play a version of the game from 4, or even around 17 years ago in 2.0's context, idk what you're thinking /hj, 4 years isn't too long but 4 years is long in srb2 terms

basically don't expect much support or actual help with this topic, 2.1 is an outdated version

Respectfully, then don't host or join a server, as your IP will often be displayed to the host when you join a server.
I didn't expect this was so brutal for you to not have you're ip address showed, STJR really should've made a system were you would want to show it and not. I guess prativing is actually hard.

I didn't expect this was so brutal for you to not have you're ip address showed, STJR really should've made a system were you would want to show it and not. I guess prativing is actually hard.
It is impossible to straight up hide your IP address in a networked game (at least, if you want a smooth experience).

To be able to join a game, your computer must know what IP to connect to.
For a player to remain connected, the host must know the IP of that player in their server as to receive and send information to the right one.

It is "possible" to hide yourself if using some sort of tunneling service though.
Think Steamworks, from Steam. Information passes through Steamworks and is then provided to other players instead of going directly to each player. This way no player knows the IP of any other player (unless explicitly set to allow this, or because the game requires it).
That requires trusting Steamworks though, since they'll see your IP :p

Or if you somehow spoof your IP, either with a VPN or something else, you can technically hide your IP. But then you'd run into issues like "why am i lagging more than before" and "why is this VPN range banned?".

So, if you want to, just use radmin VPN if you want to join, or host.
Post automatically merged:

Also, AutoPunch is the best option if your friend is close to you. He will get little latency and will know about it fast.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back