A Grayvy Vote Thread for OLDC '21 R2

Grayvy Guy

Well I've gotten e.
Only played SP levels since it's hard for me to really get any MP match/ctf/battle game going from my location.

1. Nimbus Lake Zone by Yyeellooww7
Really like how straightforward this map is, not too intrusive with too many gimmicks and I like how it carries the aesthetic throughout! Not too much bad I can say outside of maybe the last stretch in one water segment.

2. Digital DeLuche Zone by RoyKirbs
Does a great job with the digital aesthetic and I love how different the alternative paths are. The 2D section was a bit rough in terms of visibility but other than that this level is killer!

3. Lucid Landscape Zone by Othius
Probably the most appealing out of all the anti gravity maps in this pack from an aesthetic point of view. I have a few qualms with how the level can present certain paths but overall the look wins me over here.

4. Powder Park Zone by DakotaSpine
Pretty straight forward and nice looking map, though I'm not a big fan of the invisible barrier cutting off the ending cliff. I'd say try to make the end of the act actually further away and I do think there's a bit of dead space on some of the pathways. However I do appreciate how clean it is also so there's that.

5. Grass Planet Zone by Voidy2246
Another fun anti gravity map. I do like how open ended some of the sections are and how you can even cheese certain bits with a few characters (though Tails breaks the stage in half). I would probably calm down on the bees though it might be due to the fact I personally don't like the bee or hive badniks.

6. Botanic Space Zone Act 2 by DeltaSanic
A nice follow up to the previous act. Though I do think that the sections where you need to bust the computers aren't made super obvious which lead to the first playthrough being generally confused on where to go, everything else is pretty well laid out.

7. Bricked Busted Zone by Mikhael Blur
Great aesthetic and I do like how open various segments of the level are, I do think it ultimately drags though with how long the level goes on for. Granted I haven't attempted the time trial emblem at the time of recording but I feel almost exhaused to try and attempt it after a few playthroughs.

8. Something Zone by Marcos
I'm all for Fire Gator Thursday and I do enjoy the 2.5D gimmick with this map, though I do wish it accomidated with the controls better as some character gimmicks and movement are gimped by it. Still a really cool in concept and I hope these maps improve as things get better.

9. Blue Glacier Zone by BronsoKip
I wish this map was more lengthy because otherwise I think there's some generally competent design here. Though I think it's a bit overkill to give the map two exits I can at least appreciate that they tried to make it open ended.

10. Rhyolite Ruin Zone by Radicalicious
I kind of feel numb when it comes to NiGHTs stages, though I will give credit that this stage does feel like it goes for a similar design thesis to that game. In SRB2 I'm ultimately just not as fond of NiGHTs as I use to be so I can't say I felt anything strongly here.

11. Caustic Crater Zone by Seaballer
This was initially ranked 13 but on a quick replay, I think I would rate this slightly higher with how the construction of the level is handled. Not really to fond on how reliant this level is on some hazards and having a specific shield for those electric floors (unless playing a modded character, i.e. Surge) but I can give credit that there it's got nice factory aesthetics here.

12. Sunset Summit Zone by Entropy
This one was initially at 16 but recalling it and replaying it, honestly I do think this is a relatively enjoyable level, but I do think it loses some momentum once you're on the higher levels of the summit with it feeling like there's a bit of dead air and not a lot of opportunities to climb until you find the proper spring to get go up. (I think you might've forgot the hussle that Amy and Metal could go with on this stage also btw lol)

13. Frozen Fissure Zone by Garrean
For certain modded characters that have pretty good air mobility this map can be fun, but most of the vanilla characters don't really feel too fun here. That last section of the map also seemed a bit like a kaizo version of a Croc level which for SRB2 is just as much overkill as it would be there.

14. Lofty Woods Zone by Vixuzen
I'll give credit with this being a cool idea for an anti grav map but I'm not really a fan of how overbearing some of terrain can be, really seeming like you need to go fast or you just can't get over most things, that and I also think that various parts of the level are maybe a bit too packed in and make it hard to assess any routes. I do think that this does make for a great concept though which is something I'll give all the anti grav maps, even this one.

15. Pineapple Prairie Zone by SupaCustardbro
Man you really had to hammer in home that Sonic Lost World really went in on the Mario-esque design. And honestly I feel that there's things in this level that didn't really consider how open it is and kind feels a bit bland as a result. Also HOLY LAG BATMAN at least for when that one segment of the level didn't properly delete the ground that covered the way forward.

16. Iron Dominion Zone by MK.exe
I kind find this map a bit forgettable in many cases with the THZ assets and design that weirdly makes me think of Acid Missile. One route in particular I felt was pretty confusing, seeming like a red tube lead to a switch but all it lead to was a crate with a turrent on it. Overall the map seems a bit aimless and there could a better job done trying to convey a path to go on, or anything at the side to open up a path.

17. The Twins Palace Zone by Chaolino
A cool idea to divide the stage into two halves but really I do think the level drags and quite frankly there may be an overabundance of... General things present within it. Probably tone down on the gimmicks also since some of them don't seem to have a point (namely the gimmick that seems to have things go crazy when in the weird dark blue area).

18. Follow Your Rainbow by Rogerregorroger
I've had people tell me this is probably Roger's best level but personally I don't see it. I will say I think it's a better level than anything in his Genesys level pack but I also think it's below what Sol Sestencia attempted to do. I'd definitely say to please try and make levels less blocky and more relatively open since levels like this really seem more needlessly constricted than other SRB2 levels. Something I'd say that two levels below this one at least feel less artificial in that regard.

19. Command Facility Zone by Twins'R'Okay
In a way this is kind of cute in how it references the OG Doom levels but it ultimately comes off as uninspired and drab as a result. Not enough was really done here to distinguish the level out as a proper SRB2 level and even with the stuff done it doesn't seem like the effort was truly made to make it pop. Also non-spin character really seem to get shafted midway in the stage with the large ramp.

20. Junkyard Jeopardy Zone by PhilJFou/ChaRG
The visibility in this level really holds it back and some of the level design feels jank as hell, it took me awhile on first playthrough to find the button that opened up the end goal mainly due to how it seemed the level kept going further despite going down a pathway that was meant for Amy/Fang. I'd defintiely say try to improve on level visibility as well as set pieces to make certain areas pop out more because otherwise this level feels like a mess.

21. Invasion Zone by JABSphere94
The one thing I will say is that I like the badniks that shoot infront of you when running down corridors like a modern game. Aside from that this level feels like a bloated mess of ideas not really coming well together, with rough level design that's rough, unspecific and even broken in a few places. If this person is going to make any more levels I would recommend that they get an idea for a level and just flesh out the single idea. This map is definitely overambitious in terms of what it does and if anything it'd be a benefit to reduce the amount of ideas are at play and just polish what can be done with fewer resources.

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back