Camera or Mouse Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

spellwiz

Hello, with the release of the new pack I have tried playing srb2 again. The problem is I play with my mouse. When moving the mouse the best way I can describe the problem is that the camera forces its way back whenever I move my mouse. It gets stuck if I move it up or down as fast as I can. I have unplugged my mouse and tried using my numpad as the mouse, as I don't have another mouse handy, but it still doesn't work. I have a logitech mouse and have tried disabling the software, messed around with the in-game settings a ton, but can't find a solution. If I hold the END key (center view) it sort of fixes the problem, as I move the mouse it automatically centers it after it snaps back. Which means when I move my mouse left, it snaps back right and centers it. Just looking for some help so I can play the new pack with my friends. Thanks in advanced :)

Last edited:
Ok so I've figured out what's happening: My mouse is being forced to the middle of the screen. If I alt tab and move my mouse, alt tab to srb2, and then alt tab once more, I'll find my mouse back in the middle. Any help would be wonderful.

This is due to how the game's coded, rather than tracking your mouse's movement directly, the game instead checks how far your pointer has traveled every frame and brings it back to the center again on the next. There is nothing wrong with your mouse.

but I've never had this problem before, and I can't even use my mouse in gameplay, it goes back to the center and the camera follows it back to the center. so if its the game, why is it only now that I am noticing it?

edit: I forgot I still have srb2 1.9 aswell, and my mouse works perfect in there. I've tried a fresh download of 2.1.19 and my camera is still messed up
edit2: My mouse is fine in srb2dd.exe
edit3:
srb200001f510.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like your problems are to do with SDL2 then, we switched srb2win.exe to it since 2.1.12 or so. As far as I recall it handles mouse input differently to srb2dd.exe (which uses DirectX, which is what we used to use), and currently it involves a hack that teleports your mouse back to the center to keep your mouse in the window.

We probably should do something about that hack perhaps, if possible.

Gotta say that I have similar mouse problems in the SDL2 exe, it screws up the precision of my aiming. That's why I'm still using srb2dd...

Sounds like your problems are to do with SDL2 then, we switched srb2win.exe to it since 2.1.12 or so. As far as I recall it handles mouse input differently to srb2dd.exe (which uses DirectX, which is what we used to use), and currently it involves a hack that teleports your mouse back to the center to keep your mouse in the window.

We probably should do something about that hack perhaps, if possible.

Honestly, that's all I wanted: An answer as to what the problem was. For now I am just playing with my keyboard; it's just a small adjustment to get used to. If anyone figures out how I can fix my mouse issues, as I am the only one of my friends to have this problem, please let me know. Otherwise, please continue the good work on the next major release. It's going to be awesome regardless of my mouse working or not lol.

Okay, spellwiz and ~Confusion~ and anyone else that has issues with the mouse/camera in srb2win.exe, download and test out this exe to see if the issues are fixed:

https://lightdash.org/SRB2/misc/srb2win-sdlrelmouse-mi.exe

This is not intended as a replacement of 2.1.19's srb2win.exe, though it is netplay compatible with it. I can at least debug crashes with it if necessary.

Not to sure if anyone had responded to you with this but I can confirm that the issue is fixed with this build.

Had asked about this problem maybe 3 or so years ago and super glad its solved!

sorry for the no reply, work has been killer this week lol. I can confirm this fixes the problem I described. Thank you so much for responding and fixing the issue. Please continue the amazing work :)<3

Awesome!

I merged those fixes to our master branch on GitLab/GitHub a while back, so you can expect the next official release or patch to have them.

Same issue here, but, kinda diffrent:
My mouse isn't the best, so, it should be an problem, but, out of that it's like STICKY
when i try to move it, only in SRB2.
I've tried sesivity configuration and much other methods and can't fix, someone have an idea what is going on with my mouse?
also my mousepad isn't the best too

Okay, spellwiz and ~Confusion~ and anyone else that has issues with the mouse/camera in srb2win.exe, download and test out this exe to see if the issues are fixed:

https://lightdash.org/SRB2/misc/srb2win-sdlrelmouse-mi.exe

This is not intended as a replacement of 2.1.19's srb2win.exe, though it is netplay compatible with it. I can at least debug crashes with it if necessary.
Hello, I'm a long time lurker, first time participant of this community and I just want to say thank you for the fix. I experienced this exact same bug a few days ago out of nowhere. I'm glad I came here to see your fix and I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

You do know you can use OpenGL with the exe MI gave (and with any SRB2 exe), right?
You just wasted your time compiling an EXE.
EDIT: Actually it's just a .bat. Bravo, you've done something literally anyone else can do in ten seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back