• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 -- Expansion Pack or whatever

Hybrid

Previously known as "Wagon"
Hello!
And I decided to make a level pack called SRB2--Expansion Pack (Story Continues) or whatever you wanna call it, for 2.2 composed in - scr_srb2sc1.0.wad
I have photos!

QwxOPw7.png

Levels' Screenshots-

1.0) Greeny Arenas Zone (100%)

KrhSfXa.png

qnqezKH.png

ZdwwVxK.png

WCuJCui.png

CNvGT15.png

vr3HOCh.png

2.0) Tech Trap Zone is being remade

Older Screenshots

FJCqtoc.png

YNaB7I0.png

vzWDXvy.png

wKMgnxc.png

ykILMIu.png

EY7d02e.png
For the scrapped progress-
3.0) Ice Cap Zone is being remade See the 2nd page for older screenshots
4.0) Robotnik's Revenge 1 (100%)
5.0) Inner Forests is being remade
6.0) Steel Strike Zone is in progress
7.0) Robotnik's Revenge 2 (100%) by SSG3(This will make its way into the pack, but modified, a lot.
8.0) E.G.G. Arena is being remade See the 4th page for older screenshots
9.0) E.G.G. Base (67%)See the 4th page

10.0) Final Battle is in progress

And that's all, all these zones include all their acts.

And now, the story...-

STARTED STUPID STORY-

After destroying Eggrock,
Sonic and his friends lived peacefuly
on Mobius...

It was totally peaceful on Mobius
Until the Evil Scientist DR.EGGMAN came
with an all new plan.

Plan1 was- Making Metal Sonic
Again with some very powerful
things and EVEN MASTER EMERALD
AND CHAOS EMERALDS!
Fortunately The chaos emeralds
were now thrown somewhere because
of OVER POWER.

Plan2 was- Making his own steep
garden type base on Mobius.It has been made!
That was the plan.

Sonic knew nothing about it
so he was sleeping in Green Flower.
Then Tails came, Woke him up and told
everything about eggman that
was coming in her tornado radar.

Sonic decided to go with Tails
at E.G.G. Base.

They were just in front of it,
gonna land just then the New Metal Sonic
or the Veclro metal sonic attacked them,
Tails crashed,then they fell down.

"I think this way will take us
to EGG Base right?" Said Sonic
"Yes but it will get a long time."
Said Tails
"No problem, It will be adventurous for me,
LET'S GO!"

STUPID STORY END.

And that's all...

Last edited:
So... Lemme get this straight... You made a mod with a story-to-be, but don't have a single SP level complete? You only have 2 multiplayer levels that according to your OP, are complete but "not planned".

...Okay!

So... Lemme get this straight... You made a mod with a story-to-be, but don't have a single SP level complete? You only have 2 multiplayer levels that according to your OP, are complete but "not planned".

...Okay!

Well, the story is already made...
Steep Valley and traped zone are complete now...

Okay. So... this level pack has potential. However, there are a lot of issues with it in terms of how it looks and how it seems to actually, well, function.

Manic Garden
Looks pretty cool, the only issue is... IT'S HUGE. And while that wouldn't normally be an issue, there's virtually nothing in the level. I can only make out a few weapon pannels and random floating platforms, the rest seems to be rather bland with nothing to do. There's a weird shape to the lake in the "middle", and none of it looks natural when you go past it, which isn't NECESSARY, but in this instance I think it would look better if it was refined a bit.

The giant lake is just bland, empty, and unnecessarily deep. I mean, what is there down there? I don't see any weapon pannels. I only see an annoying pit to fall down that WON'T actually kill you, thus only wasting time and effort. Getting hit into that would be frustrating as all heck, and quite frankly would bore people to death.

The flag bases look really... unfinished. I mean... what are they supposed to be? They're random platforms floating in the sky, with no real visual appeal to it nor gameplay appeal. It's just a big flat rectangle with rings on it in some places, and the flag.

In general, it says "100%" but the level doesn't look nearly refined enough or finished to be considered 100% complete. I think you should mainly focus on fixing that level first.

Ice Land
Suffers the same issue as the previous level. It's... too big in some areas, with nothing to do. Big, empty, bland corridors with a really ugly texture applied, and no real redeeming factors for gameplay. Make the corridors smaller, make things more packed together, or put more stuff in there. Maybe employ your own little gimmicks, distribute some odd things in there, who knows. Just make it less of an eyesore.

Another thing that's really off about the level is the red textures conflicting with the blue. It's ice land. Why is there a RVZ texture in there? It doesn't even flow to it naturally through level progression, it's just... THERE. For whateve reason. I don't even know what you were going for with the large chunk of platforms in the middle of the lake, but it doesn't look very good. It's flat, has a few weapon pannels, but that's about it. It could use some serious refinements.

Steep Valley
Gonna be bland about this, but yeah.

It looks like a random platform with crawlas on it with really badly done water below. I assume that the water is a death pit, since it's opaque, but what's everything else? The wood and whatever-it-is flow together pretty badly. You hop platform to platform, and get across places. Looks like a nice little idea, once again, needs refinement. What is there to see? What is there to DO other than bounce on crawlas day and night long? I get this is an early mod pack, but you can't call any of these levels so far 100% complete.

Trapped Zone
I... don't even know what to say about the screenshots for this, but they just look awful. Too flat, too bland, nothing to see. It's a dark zone full of nothing. Unless you're going for some kind of endless void of emptiness, you should add some actual life to the area. Make things more different in terms of terrain. Hills. Blocks. Anything. Just make things look better, and give the player something more to do than run along an oversized flat land.

The second screenshot is just water, water, and more water with a few randomly placed squares. Where did that come from? What is there to do there? I see nothing but boring platforming. You need to do something to capture the player's attention, get them involved with your levels.

Anyhow, overall, all I'm saying is that this doesn't look finished.
But, it DOES have a lot of potential to become a very good mod. It looks pretty ugly as of right now, which doesn't matter TOO MUCH; focus on the gameplay aspects first, THEN worry about the visuals. Gameplay takes priority. Don't make things flat, give things variety. Give it life. Make things flow together nicely, and THEN spice it up and make it pretty. More importantly, don't quit. Just work on it. I'm sure it'll come out looking fantastic and playing like a charm if you spend more time working on every level. If you reach a point where you feel like you literally can't add anything more to the level in terms of visuals and changes, THEN you should stop and move on.

Just work on it.

Okay. So... this level pack has potential. However, there are a lot of issues with it in terms of how it looks and how it seems to actually, well, function.

Manic Garden
Looks pretty cool, the only issue is... IT'S HUGE. And while that wouldn't normally be an issue, there's virtually nothing in the level. I can only make out a few weapon pannels and random floating platforms, the rest seems to be rather bland with nothing to do. There's a weird shape to the lake in the "middle", and none of it looks natural when you go past it, which isn't NECESSARY, but in this instance I think it would look better if it was refined a bit.

The giant lake is just bland, empty, and unnecessarily deep. I mean, what is there down there? I don't see any weapon pannels. I only see an annoying pit to fall down that WON'T actually kill you, thus only wasting time and effort. Getting hit into that would be frustrating as all heck, and quite frankly would bore people to death.

The flag bases look really... unfinished. I mean... what are they supposed to be? They're random platforms floating in the sky, with no real visual appeal to it nor gameplay appeal. It's just a big flat rectangle with rings on it in some places, and the flag.

In general, it says "100%" but the level doesn't look nearly refined enough or finished to be considered 100% complete. I think you should mainly focus on fixing that level first.

Ice Land
Suffers the same issue as the previous level. It's... too big in some areas, with nothing to do. Big, empty, bland corridors with a really ugly texture applied, and no real redeeming factors for gameplay. Make the corridors smaller, make things more packed together, or put more stuff in there. Maybe employ your own little gimmicks, distribute some odd things in there, who knows. Just make it less of an eyesore.

Another thing that's really off about the level is the red textures conflicting with the blue. It's ice land. Why is there a RVZ texture in there? It doesn't even flow to it naturally through level progression, it's just... THERE. For whateve reason. I don't even know what you were going for with the large chunk of platforms in the middle of the lake, but it doesn't look very good. It's flat, has a few weapon pannels, but that's about it. It could use some serious refinements.

Steep Valley
Gonna be bland about this, but yeah.

It looks like a random platform with crawlas on it with really badly done water below. I assume that the water is a death pit, since it's opaque, but what's everything else? The wood and whatever-it-is flow together pretty badly. You hop platform to platform, and get across places. Looks like a nice little idea, once again, needs refinement. What is there to see? What is there to DO other than bounce on crawlas day and night long? I get this is an early mod pack, but you can't call any of these levels so far 100% complete.

Trapped Zone
I... don't even know what to say about the screenshots for this, but they just look awful. Too flat, too bland, nothing to see. It's a dark zone full of nothing. Unless you're going for some kind of endless void of emptiness, you should add some actual life to the area. Make things more different in terms of terrain. Hills. Blocks. Anything. Just make things look better, and give the player something more to do than run along an oversized flat land.

The second screenshot is just water, water, and more water with a few randomly placed squares. Where did that come from? What is there to do there? I see nothing but boring platforming. You need to do something to capture the player's attention, get them involved with your levels.

Anyhow, overall, all I'm saying is that this doesn't look finished.
But, it DOES have a lot of potential to become a very good mod. It looks pretty ugly as of right now, which doesn't matter TOO MUCH; focus on the gameplay aspects first, THEN worry about the visuals. Gameplay takes priority. Don't make things flat, give things variety. Give it life. Make things flow together nicely, and THEN spice it up and make it pretty. More importantly, don't quit. Just work on it. I'm sure it'll come out looking fantastic and playing like a charm if you spend more time working on every level. If you reach a point where you feel like you literally can't add anything more to the level in terms of visuals and changes, THEN you should stop and move on.

Just work on it.

Well, you are quiet right...

I am not so good in mapping...

And as you say, its not totally complete so...

AND there are many things in the lake, they are only not coming in the screenshots.

Last edited:
Question:

Why don't you work hard? Learn everything about Srb2DB to have decent maps.

I don't have much time for it...
I only make it on my holidays...
Or Saturdays and Sundays...

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Yay!
1 more multiplayer level done!
That is - Sky Ruins Zone, not the old one for 2.0,
I made it myself.
SCREEN SHOTS COMING SOON

I'll go easy since you're just starting out.

You seem to have a decent understanding of your level editor, but you haven't quite figured out the "fun" factor yet, and what makes levels appealing. Let's focus on your CTF maps: there's lots of empty space with nothing in it, which is boring; you could easily break this up with some higher or lower floor sectors, some ring placement, and so on. Perhaps an even bigger problem is how bare it looks visually, but there are lots of ways to fix this:

* Add some scenery things, like flowers and bushes. Don't add them all over, mind you; place them neatly, like to the sides of certain walls.
* Add grass hedges to the sides of your platforms. It's been forever since I touched DoomBuilder, but the site tutorial should tell you how.
* Add more sectors that are "just decoration". See the walls bordering your maps? You could make that way more interesting by breaking up the sector into uneven heights, adding FOFs to the sides of them, and so on.

Also, I can't stress this enough: quality over quantity. Map making is a very lengthy process, and it will take a lot of work before you can make something really appealing. Don't even set your sights on an entire level pack with different game modes, because that's simply too unrealistic, even for some of us who are more experienced (I mean you could do it, but it won't turn out well at all). Besides, we'd rather play one great level than six mediocre ones.

Hope that helps!

Not to be too much of a nitpick, but that 1st intro picture needs fixed, the graphics look like they have literally been cut/paste from a screenshot (with residual pixels), are stretched/scaled and rather pixelated, and the title border looks like it has been drawn with the airbrush tool from MS Paint. Also, the transparent FOFs in Manic garden may be too transparent, and a less transparent texture (not a solid color) would be better for players determining where the FOF is.

Also, I would suggest making multiple paths with a variety of Things and gimmicks (for SP levels), as some of the levels (from the picture) look somewhat linear. As CobaltCW said, quality, and start small, and then progress to bigger and better things. Your first maps should be an exersize in learning the ropes and how to deal with sectors, map making, linedef triggers, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well, Steep Valley zone is now extended...

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

And screenshots for Sky Ruins are there...

Eeew, all of this looks pretty damn... ugly.Cobalt said it, prefer quality over quantity! The levels are looking like theyre just one big sector with some platforms into them. Try to at least add decorations, this will make em' look a bit better.

And in case you were wondering about time, my crappy Mud Mine 1 still took 2 weeks to be made. I wonder how long did good levels (Quickman 2, Seraphic Skylands...) to be made.

EDIT: Take it easy too, I know you're begining.
Try making single sectors that are well decorated and all. Then eventually turn it into a level.

Last edited:
Eeew, all of this looks pretty damn... ugly.Cobalt said it, prefer quality over quantity! The levels are looking like theyre just one big sector with some platforms into them. Try to at least add decorations, this will make em' look a bit better.

And in case you were wondering about time, my crappy Mud Mine 1 still took 2 weeks to be made. I wonder how long did good levels (Quickman 2, Seraphic Skylands...) to be made.

EDIT: Take it easy too, I know you're begining.
Try making single sectors that are well decorated and all. Then eventually turn it into a level.

OK, let me edit more...? But what should I edit?

Everything. The best thing is to restart the levels from scratch.Take a look at SRB2 Vanilla levels to see how they were decorated, and try to do it in your levels.

OK, let me edit more...? But what should I edit?

Well... I kinda already told you, lol. Grass hedges (whenever appropriate), scenery objects, and more sectors to break up the action. You don't have a bad start necessarily, you just need to add more to your maps.

An easy example is that central arena in Sky Ruins. You could easily make that more interesting by adding a few barricades on the sides. That also improves gameplay by adding cover fire for players that need it.

And looking at srb2's official maps is definitely a good way to learn the right mapping habits.

Every level looks like a comically empty and stupidly large rendition of Meadow Match. Scrap the pack, start over on a single level instead, and hone your skills first.

You've fallen right into New Mapper's Trap, NMT, if you don't.

One more zone created- Sea Ruins Zone. Screen Shots coming soon...

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back