SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2014   #21
Steelie
an unburdened fashion sense
 
Steelie's Avatar
Default

Is it possible to literally "light up" the textures while keeping the area dark like in Tron? If so, then you should totally do that, it'd be really dang cool.

Also, the pillars look like lights so it feels really weird to have them be dark like that.
__________________
<Majro> or maybe they simply walk at sucking

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #22
Puppyfaic
 
Puppyfaic's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelie View Post
Is it possible to literally "light up" the textures while keeping the area dark like in Tron? If so, then you should totally do that, it'd be really dang cool.

Also, the pillars look like lights so it feels really weird to have them be dark like that.
That can be faked. Make the sector the player is in dark, but have a tiny border sector just a few fracunits wide at full brightness so the wall looks like it's lit up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostay
Yeah fuck you too you insufferable twat.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #23
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge
 
Whackjood's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelie View Post
Is it possible to literally "light up" the textures while keeping the area dark like in Tron? If so, then you should totally do that, it'd be really dang cool.

Also, the pillars look like lights so it feels really weird to have them be dark like that.
As a matter of fact, yes it is!



also good catch on the pillars, I initially made them 'glow' along with the cyber walls but in doing so it didn't make sense to have the room get darker near the ceiling. So I replaced them with a different texture entirely.

I'll keep some ERZ textures there simply to add some contrast and to make the glowing cyber textures pop out by being next to textures which don't have the fake tron lighting applied.
__________________
Check me out elsewhere~: -Tumblr- -Youtube- -Steam- -MyAnimeList-
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014   #24
Phantom-blade
mfw
 
Phantom-blade's Avatar
Default

Oh my god! This is looking fantastic in every part you edit! A few scenery down that area (windows) would be nice and make it really fantastic. That Tron idea was nice, but it (slightly) fit with the ERZ textures.
Phantom-blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #25
Puppyfaic
 
Puppyfaic's Avatar
Default

That image creates a very weird optical illusion. It makes it look like the walls with the digital textures are actually attached to the corners of the elevator instead.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostay
Yeah fuck you too you insufferable twat.

Last edited by Puppyfaic; 06-24-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #26
Phil the hegi
Absolute Nonsense
 
Phil the hegi's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-blade View Post
Oh my god! This is looking fantastic in every part you edit! A few scenery down that area (windows) would be nice and make it really fantastic. That Tron idea was nice, but it (slightly) fit with the ERZ textures.
Windows would look ugly. Maybe like monitors or something, but not windows.
... What even gave you that idea?
__________________
I still log onto this account sometimes for the express purpose of viewing my childish tirades...
Phil the hegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014   #27
Phantom-blade
mfw
 
Phantom-blade's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the hegi View Post
Windows would look ugly. Maybe like monitors or something, but not windows.
... What even gave you that idea?
(Why do my ideas suck?)

I'm serious, the room with virutal textures and flats does not fit, Could go with decorations... LOTS of decorations...
Phantom-blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #28
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge
 
Whackjood's Avatar
Default

Quote:
<@IceDragon404> I've always wanted to see a gif of how the transition from room to room is like
<Whackjood> THEN I'LL HAVE TO MAKE ONE

gif is missing the teleport flash but oh well, it also illustrates an issue I'm having with the Sea Egg.

Boss rush map is pretty much almost finished, but I need some help. I've been trying to learn Lua but I cannot wrap my head around it at all and I feel pretty scummy having to ask for someone to do this for me, but I think that's what I'm gonna have to do!

If possible, I would very much appreciate it if someone could make some kind of boss activation linedef for the Egg Slimer, Sea Egg, and Eggscalibur. Also I'm in need of a linedef type that specifically executes on the pinch phase for Eggscalibur, New Brak and Old Brak.

Furthermore I'm having a few issues with Metal Sonic. During his first five hits his energy balls aren't spawning, he's going through charge animation but he doesn't actually fire anything. The documentation on Metal Sonic on the wiki is... lacking, so is there anything I need to do to set him up correctly?

ALSO, on a lighter note, I'm looking for music for the wad. I'm currently using this as a placeholder but obviously I won't be using this for the released product, any suggestions on what I could replace it with?
__________________
Check me out elsewhere~: -Tumblr- -Youtube- -Steam- -MyAnimeList-
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #29
Katmint
 
Katmint's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackjood View Post
Furthermore I'm having a few issues with Metal Sonic. During his first five hits his energy balls aren't spawning, he's going through charge animation but he doesn't actually fire anything. The documentation on Metal Sonic on the wiki is... lacking, so is there anything I need to do to set him up correctly??
You need to place at least one Metal Sonic Waypoint in the arena.
Katmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #30
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge
 
Whackjood's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmint View Post
You need to place at least one Metal Sonic Waypoint in the arena.
Ah! It works now, thank you!
__________________
Check me out elsewhere~: -Tumblr- -Youtube- -Steam- -MyAnimeList-
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #31
StarmakerJasper
Hey, that's my pudding!
 
StarmakerJasper's Avatar
Default

http://ssntails.srb2.org/eggman1.ogg

I totally wish there was some variant of this song without the Eggman voice clips, as it would be perfect for a Boss Rush thing. Uuuuuuuuuuuu.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon
>proceeds to throw book on floor and run around the library screaming "THE PINK IS REAL."
StarmakerJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #32
Larztard
 
Larztard's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper the Fox View Post
http://ssntails.srb2.org/eggman1.ogg

I totally wish there was some variant of this song without the Eggman voice clips, as it would be perfect for a Boss Rush thing. Uuuuuuuuuuuu.
I actually wouldn't mind see someone recreate this just for this map specifically. Seems to fit for a boss rush and really gets the player pumped and ready for anything to come.
__________________
YouTube
Larztard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #33
Tyrannic
 
Tyrannic's Avatar
Default

I don't know if that is fitting at all considering the stage is ERZ themed, but what about this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joh7DevzAMg
Tyrannic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #34
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
 
SSNTails's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larztard View Post
I actually wouldn't mind see someone recreate this just for this map specifically. Seems to fit for a boss rush and really gets the player pumped and ready for anything to come.
If somebody makes a MIDI of it, I'll run it through the SRB2 Noise Maker(tm).

As for a boss activation linedef... I think as long as you have onesided linedefs totally separating the arenas, they won't wake up. Sound/sight won't travel through 1 sided linedefs.
__________________
Roly Poly Putt & TraceRace - Now out for Android, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch - http://www.spaddlewit.com
Follow me on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SSNTails
SSNTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #35
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge
 
Whackjood's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails View Post
As for a boss activation linedef... I think as long as you have onesided linedefs totally separating the arenas, they won't wake up. Sound/sight won't travel through 1 sided linedefs.
The boss arenas are already completely seperate from each other. Bosses that wake up on seeing the player are fine, the issue is that Eggscalibur, Sea Egg and Egg Slimer start moving on spawn. Egg Slimer is just a minor nuisance, Sea Egg is a little annoying but not a game breaker, Eggscalibur is a big problem because despite being a long way away the player still hears the noises he makes and has to deal with the screen shaking upon level load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannic View Post
I don't know if that is fitting at all considering the stage is ERZ themed, but what about this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joh7DevzAMg
Actually, that's a pretty good choice. If the current plan people are discussing to use the boss remix doesn't work out, then I'll probably use this instead.
__________________
Check me out elsewhere~: -Tumblr- -Youtube- -Steam- -MyAnimeList-
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #36
"Lat'"
Stop it
 
"Lat'"'s Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackjood View Post
Spoiler: MetalSonic arena

.
I do not really like the visuals in there, I prefer the one that are already in the game, as they also fit with the level's theme rather than this... Stritcly my point after all, feel free to ignore.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronydude2k5 View Post
If you make me a Sash Lilac wad, I'll make you a sonic sprite hack of any choice.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #37
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge
 
Whackjood's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
I do not really like the visuals in there, I prefer the one that are already in the game, as they also fit with the level's theme rather than this... Stritcly my point after all, feel free to ignore.
That's a fair enough opinion to have. Honestly I'm growing less fond of the theme, especially while trying to come up with good ideas to use it in the Brak fights. So I'm probably going to go back to the drawing board thematically for Metal Sonic and the Braks.
__________________
Check me out elsewhere~: -Tumblr- -Youtube- -Steam- -MyAnimeList-
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014   #38
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist
 
Goldenhog's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackjood View Post
ALSO, on a lighter note, I'm looking for music for the wad. I'm currently using this as a placeholder but obviously I won't be using this for the released product, any suggestions on what I could replace it with?
If this is still a thing, then I'd like to post some suggestions.

"Endless Stage", Mega Man 9
"Endless Struggle", Mega Man 10
"Eastern Judgement in the Sixtieth Year ~ Fate of Sixty Years", Touhou 9: Phantasmagoria of Flower View
"Magus Night", Touhou 12.8: Great Fairy Wars
"Johnathan Taylor Thomas/Epic Battle", Barkley: Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
Evil Robot's theme, Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch
"Skull Heart Arrythmia", Skullgirls
"Witch Hunting", Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
"Demon's Thrill", Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories
"Dramatic Devil Story", Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness
"Flimsy", Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
"One Mustn't Fall", Tyrian 2000
"Seven Force", Gunstar Heroes
"Fight Against Smithy", Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
"Final Attack(Dencyu's Arranged Version)", Metal Slug 5

...or that SRB2 boss theme remix linked earlier, if the voice clips are taken out. That one works too.

Also, question: In that GIF of the Egg Slimer -> Sea Egg transition, I see that the player goes directly from boss arena to boss arena. Does that mean that there won't be any checkpoints? Does that mean that if I die fighting Brak Eggman I have to go through all the bosses again? I don't oppose this idea, in fact if this was my map I'd do it that way, but I'm curious.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi Asagiri
I need power over the people! The stupid, STUPID people!
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014   #39
Whackjood
The unreliable joodge
Judge
 
Whackjood's Avatar
Default

Oh my that's quite a few music suggestions. I'll take a look through all of them when I get time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenhog View Post
Also, question: In that GIF of the Egg Slimer -> Sea Egg transition, I see that the player goes directly from boss arena to boss arena. Does that mean that there won't be any checkpoints?
Indeed, no checkpoints are planned. Sucks to be you if you loose your rings in the Sea Egg's water!

Also, on a visual design related note. I've been trying out something new and I want some opinions. I've gotten ahold of Nev3r's old unused Death Egg Zone texture set and I'm trying to use it to spruce up the final 3 boss arenas. But the custom colourmap the textures use fades very abruptly from grey to blue so I need a little help deciding whether to use the colormap or not as a result.

Spoiler:

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + visible colourmap fade



Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + full brightness



Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & default colour palette



Opinions?

EDIT:
Quote:
<katsy> btw Whackjood fwiw if you can manage to enable mf_nothink flag on the bosses they will freeze in their tracks
<katsy> it even stops eggscalibur cage from dropping
<katsy> you'd just need to add it to those bosses when the map loads
<katsy> and disable it when you enter their arenas
THIS IS USEFUL INFORMATION, shame I have no idea how to implement it because Lua is a brick wall to me.
__________________
Check me out elsewhere~: -Tumblr- -Youtube- -Steam- -MyAnimeList-
Battlenet tag: Whackjood#2732 (Europe)
"The Creeps" (1941)

Last edited by Whackjood; 07-04-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Whackjood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014   #40
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist
 
Goldenhog's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackjood View Post
Oh my that's quite a few music suggestions. I'll take a look through all of them when I get time.
Yeah, sorry about that... Hehe, I just started thinking "Hm, if I had to make a boss rush map, what song would I use?" and then before I knew it, that huge-ass list appeared in my screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackjood View Post
Indeed, no checkpoints are planned. Sucks to be you if you loose your rings in the Sea Egg's water!
Awesome, I was looking forward to having to do it all in a single shot. However, what about the rings? Are the ones in the arenas going to be kept there? Or is the player going to be given 3 or so rings at the beginning to hold onto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whackjood View Post
Also, on a visual design related note. I've been trying out something new and I want some opinions. I've gotten ahold of Nev3r's old unused Death Egg Zone texture set and I'm trying to use it to spruce up the final 3 boss arenas. But the custom colourmap the textures use fades very abruptly from grey to blue so I need a little help deciding whether to use the colormap or not as a result.

Spoiler:

Metal Sonic arena w/ death egg textures & colour palette + visible colourmap fade



Opinions?
This blue one looks the best, IMO. The second, white-ish one looks horrible and unfitting, and the third, green one looks like it should be used in a Metropolis Zone-like stage.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi Asagiri
I need power over the people! The stupid, STUPID people!
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.