Object Soccing Tutorial [0.07]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morph

--------------------------------------
Note:

SpiritCrusher and others put a lot of effort into adapting this tutorial to the wiki and improving it while they were at it. These version has an overall better structure and is easier to read than mine. Therefor, I strongly advise you to check it out first and maybe use the old one as secondary literature. ^^

You'll find it here: http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Object_Creation_Tutorial
--------------------------------------

It took me hours and days to finish this piece of work but finally here it is:

Morph's Custom Object Soccing Tutorial
Current version: 0.07

Content documentation:
- Basics
- "Grammar" issues and conventions
- New, not replacing objects and implemantion
- Sounds sprites and animation
- A_SetObjectFlags and the multi health issue
- Uppercase and lowercase variables
- Additional advices

Since the new SRB2 version came out and we probably will get a bunch of new users I thought to myself it might be nice to have a complete tutorial about object soccing. This tutorial includes everything you want and do not want to know about this topic. :-p

Of course it is not finished and I definitely will keep working on it, including more and more aspects.
The most important thing right now is to get everything right. I really tried hard to describe and mention everything important BUT of course I am far away from perfection and there may be errors inside it, grammarwise as much as contentwise! (Note I am not a native english speaker!)

So I am calling all of you nitpickers out there to swarm out and bring every, little, dirty mistake I made into the light of day. I already know that some of the stuff feels a little overcomplicated. If you have concerns don't hold them back and tell me how to do better! I need your help!

^__^'

Last edited:
I've never understood soccing and I don't really understand your explanation...but it looks a lot better than any other explanation I've seen.

Ok guys... it won't work this way.

I do not deny that some of my expressions are inconvenient. I'd advise to skip one or two sentences if it seems too complicated. I take up again much of the stuff I explain. Besides the first five sections are very theoretical.

However if there really are concerns about certain paragraphs please point out which ones. Saying you don't get it is useless if you do not mention what you do not understand.

:|

Agreed and changed: 1,5 linespacing and a more appealing font.
Edit: I cut out the 1,5 linespacing during code lines.

Better this way?

Edit2: Now with pictures to make it even more appealing!!!

Thanks. I am still improving things here and there. I hope there are not too much typos left. ^^
Anyway...

UPDATE
Little section about uppercase and lowercase variables has been added.

Once again if you have suggestions or concerns please tell me! ;)

Morph said:
I hope there are not too much typos left. ^^
I hope that typo was intentional.

This would not care the program at all:
Needs to be something like:
This wouldn't bother the program at all:

FRAME 66 can follow after FRAME 88 and may be written in between <strike>of</strike> FRAME 1337 and [...]
Remove "of", as it seems out of place.

not mind upper case and lower case. All of these expressions would work:
Should be
have upper case and lower case. All of these expressions would work:

In case of doubt just do it the same way soc edit does. Here are things you have to take care about.
Again, this should be:
If in doubt, just do it the same way soc edit does. Here are things you have to avoid, or your soc won't work:
I'll edit my post as I find more grammatical errors and stuff.

Agreed and fixed! Thank you very much. ;)

Updates:
- Content Menu has been implemented
- More pictures helping to understand the content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back