• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Ezer.Arch's level (experimental map)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezer'Arch

ArchPack 2.5 is on the way
Room01-1.png

Screens: http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg57/EzerArch/WIP/

Download: http://ezerarchsrb2.awardspace.com/ezerarch.wad (495kB)

I'm still learning SRB2 Doom Builder. I got started ~1 month ago (thanks to SRB2Wiki :D ).

This map contains several rooms with several themes: garden, lava, water, a fortress, sand... I did so because I was needing to learn how to make each thing. Then, I created a room for each theme to work on.

I could call my map "Misc Realm" (misc = miscellaneous) because I mixed a lot of themes into one map, but as I was afraid of "someone" would yell at me, I called it "Ezer.Arch's level".

As I saw my map was getting better and needing some "opinions", I did some improvements (making it a bit more decent) and I'm publishing it here as WIP, so you can point me out problems, especially technical issues. I know there are a lot of gimmick problems. I'm gonna list some of them:

- Too linear and no alternative path;
- A bit cramped in some places;
- Unfinished lava themed room (WILL BE FINISHED);
- Unfinished things placement (say, needs better placement);
- Miscellaneous themes (but it was intended here);
- Not preceded by a project (my major problem :C )

Also I'm not considering this map as my first official map. Who knows I'll release something later...

Comments will be welcome.

Woah, this level is nice. Great job d00d!
My first complaint: Why didn't you release this to us earlier? Then we could have told you to resize all the sectors before it was too late. This level suffers from being severely undersized. Had released it to us earlier, then you could have just simply resized all the sectors with the built in Doom Builder feature, but all that feature will do now is ruin the level.
One other complaint of mine is that this had no multiple paths. I hate going through a cool level, then realizing that I have already seen everything, almost nothing new to explore. This level needs some replay value, especially with the theme that you put on.
I love the detail and the scenery, it was just that most parts were too small enjoy it all. I can't think of much criticism beyond that right now, hopefully I can come up with some suggestions. 6/10

Being absolutely rubbish at keyboard controls, this level was extremely hard, for me. Saying that, it was fun as heck. The scenes melded beautifully together, going from field to caves to air to fort (do you spindash to make the jumps within the fortress? I was playing as Amy, so...) and I didn't actually find it that small. It's no smaller than the built-in maps, at least.

9.3/10 - The several breaths of fresh air make up for dying so often.

Re: Ezer.Arch's level (WIP)

Ezer.Arch said:
- Not preceded by a project (my major problem :C )
Not a bad thing.

This is a fairly decent map, random comments on random parts:

The corridor transitioning the first two rooms is a tad cramped, perhaps making it more curved, or simply widening it somewhat would improve the flow.
The lava room is alright, but why give the player such an easy inferno shield? I'm thinking add something similar to the spike tunnel segment of the castle area, to try and challenge the player to keep the shield for the lava room.
I rather loved the spring segment with the spikes, very creative.

All in all, a fairly enjoyable level.

Alright, guys, you can stop rating now. Ezer Arch said (s)he made this map as a learning experience.

A few pointers on water:
You can use the same colormap tag on every water control sector.
I usually make my water darker than the area around it. I think it looks better that way.
The water should go below the floor of the sector. If you make the water go low enough, you can use the same tag on both the water and the waterfall afterwards.

Also, I don't believe in a resize button. I think if the spacing doesn't feel right, you should go into vertices mode and change it yourself until it feels right. That said, some parts were a bunch of small platforms jammed together. Other parts had some decently sized platforms that were too far apart. Try to go for a medium between the tow, please.

In some parts, you had a really nice open area that the player could fall back on if they missed the jump. I really prefer that to the areas where there was gigantic amounts of dethpits.

Also, I'd like to note that alternate routes are never necessary. They're just an excuse to have 15 minutes of gameplay in a level even though you only need about 3 minutes to finish the zone. If you only have one path through your level, I expect you to have the same amount of content, only organized in a straight line.

Also, I'm not into cheap thrills. But that's just me. :X

Thanks for comments.

First off, I need to fix something:

BlueZero4 said:
Ezer Arch said (s)he [...]

Let me introduce: I'm "HE" guy. :B (lol-ing)

Ice said:
Why didn't you release this to us earlier?

Because a week ago it was a mediocre map. Yesterday I was finishing last room, today remaking entire 1st room (that was a pain!).

Awww... just for laughing, I leave here my map to show you how it was at the beginning.

http://ezerarchsrb2.awardspace.com/2.wad

Ice said:
Then we could have told you to resize all the sectors before it was too late. This level suffers from being severely undersized.

I admit it needs "some resizes" but not all the sectors. Hmm... I think 1st room needs 50% more space; 3rd one (lava room) needs to become tripled, some footbridges and traps (I'm so mean). Aqueduct room, I suppose, doesn't need to resize, if bridges are narrow, I think it plays a role in level challenge. Agreed?

Fortress room needs wider spaces, its path to be 2x longer, and exploit more its theme. The abandoned chambers I don't want to change anything (or much things)... it's a place where I enjoy more. Did you see there some splinters that fell off the roof? (pic) I got a nice effect with lights that lit the room and splinters will be an alternative path on death pit later.

Sand place room needs 50% more longer. Any thing more? I dunno.

Ice said:
One other complaint of mine is that this had no multiple paths. (...). This level needs some replay value, especially with the theme that you put on.

AGREED! We must let player make their choices. I was already thinking on alternative paths.

map.png

Ms Katn said:
this level was extremely hard, for me.

Hmm... I need to know more details... where, what and which? Enemies, traps, rooms, paths? I need to konw what was hard. I could set up level skills for some level stuffs.

Draykon said:
but why give the player such an easy inferno shield?

Because of a silly effect: you can run like hell on footbridge, do a spin dash, get the shield and go straight. Just it. Okay, I'll hide it like I did with other hidden items. :x

BlueZero4 said:
You can use the same colormap tag on every water control sector. (...)
The water should go below the floor of the sector (...).

About colormap: good hint. And about water going below the floor, also I realized it in Mystic Realm, even with lava.

BlueZero4 said:
Some parts were a bunch of small platforms jammed together. Other parts had some decently sized platforms that were too far apart. Try to go for a medium between the two, please.

Are you talking about 1st room and fortress chambers? Well, I just wanted to challenge players...

More comments?

The platform part I didn't like because it was too hard was in the dark room with CEZ castle textures. If that's the fortress, then yes.

I think of challenging as something that, essentially, isn't a cakewalk. A few platforms that are reasonably spaced is fine. What I don't like is dieing because I can't stop on a dime and end up overshooting the platform. :(

Well its too easy for me and you don't even need the inferno shield because there isn't really any fire hazards past the lava pits which are easy to avoid.But overall its a good wad.

He can't. This is now released on the forum. This will not count if he enters it. It is too late for that.

Ice said:
Are you gonna enter this into the OLDC?

Maybe, why not?

If I will, I'll need to revamp all the map, gimmick, structure, concept... I'll have to create alternative paths, new rooms. Have I enough time for it? I dunno ATM (^_~)

Well... I've just added a Walkthrough of my level for those who are too lazy for downloading my wad.

WATCH VIDEO

Enjoy (especially the stupid bot)

EDIT: I didn't see Sonict's post because he has posted while I was typing my post.
Sonict said:
He can't. This is now released on the forum. This will not count if he enters it. It is too late for that.
Why? Just because I released my level in Forum? Sorry.

How too late if contest submissions period will end on September 1st?

Also, I would never enter my level that way into OLDC because it has a lot of problems. As I said before, I'll need to do a remake on it. Even if I change most things (or entire level) and give it a decent name, I'm out of OLDC yet?

No problems...

I'd prefer to create a new map instead of remaking this one. I got some nice ideas with experience of this map. So I renamed this topic to "Ezer.Arch's level (experimental map)".

I'll use this map as my playground and to experiment and learn a bit more about level design before my 1st official-decent map.

(Saying the truth, I'm surprised the people liked my map. Well, I think they're considering this one as a learning experience)

I hope I'm allowed in current contest. Obvious: with new map.

Thanks for helping me. o/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back