Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

During 2.2 dev, the new characters were added and they also had varied stats, but this led to a couple annoying issues, in particular Amy underwater was downright suffering. At a certain point we stepped back and asked ourselves "are the varied stats actually providing us anything overall?" and decided to test it out with everyone having Sonic's stat block (because Sonic's stat block is really the one people have been designing around for 20 years). I think it was one of the only test ideas we've ever had that had such a positive response, and therefore we decided to set everyone's stats the same.

There are other positive side-effects like letting us design around an exact stat block and knowing that characters can say, make the same jumps no matter what, but the core reason is just that we were having massive trouble with corner cases like water and just removing the stat changes was the easiest solution.

I have to say. This update was well worth the wait. You guys deserve all the praise coming your way. I'll even boldly say this was more enjoyable than Mania.

What really stands out is the wonderful soundtrack update.

[this is what i get for not looking at the last page]

Stat normalization is also the only reason why Tails AI is able to keep up with Sonic, even with all of the AI improvements in place. :p

Last edited:
[...] Stat normalization is also the only reason why Tails AI is able to keep up with Sonic, even with all of the AI improvements in place. :p
Another reason is that, even in 2.1 (but also in 2.2), a bot in single-player is explicitly given the same movement speed stats as the controlling player when it spawns. Source: ~Link~

Last edited:
Any word on mod support yet? Looking forward to those eventually, even the Holiday mods.

Support for mods is intact. The mods for older versions of SRB2 do not work in v2.2 and will need to be updated by their authors.

The Stat Normalization with slight tweaks like amy being lighter or knuckles being heavier is the way to go it seems. I mentioned it in another thread but I think it'd be a little neat if there was a "character auto brake" setting as the default with all on and all off as the options, where everyone but metal sonic and super sonic have auto brake on since they float when they run. It'd debuff metal sonic in a very slight and subtle way without messing with level design requirements. (Maybe tails has auto brake off when he's running so he drifts a little slower when slowing down? Not sure if that'd even work?)

edit: OP in thread points to an image of grand eggship that is no longer up...anyone got that image?

Really love SRB2 2.2, game's come such a long way and now it's feeling right up there with sonic mania and legit like how a throwback 3d sonic game with proper gameplay would be. Really upped the game in indie quality here!

Last edited:
When I first played 2.2 I couldn't help but feel the game was heavily influenced by Sonic Mania (Plus), from soundtrack (Especially Metal Sonic race) and save-slot selection screen to returning classic sonic characters (Amy, Fang), I'm curious if Mania somehow inspired the devs to make these changes.

I'm glad Fang is back regardless, If you remember Sonic Xtreme at one point was going to have a Fang boss fight, and even Amy was going to appear in Sonic Xtreme at some point as most people interested in the game know. Really adds to the whole Saturn feel of the game.

We were actually pretty disappointed when Mania came with artwork showing the characters because we had done that all independently of and before Mania. We were very relieved to find out that Fang wasn't even real in Mania.

You guys got really lucky. Mania introduced Mighty and Ray as playable characters, while you introduced Amy and Fang. There was so much potential for overlap, but instead they synergize.

Speaking of which, how long until someone makes a Mighty addon with his Mania Plus moveset?

Hahaha, y'all sure lucked out there! I'm happy to hear following what Mania was doing wasn't the reason for the additions. I'm in the minority that believes that game is seriously overrated. I mean, it's an alright game, but you know.

Speaking of which, how long until someone makes a Mighty addon with his Mania Plus moveset?

It'll probably happen though frankly I hope it doesn't. Mighty's stomp is some lame-ass shit and would be doubly redundant in SRB2, which not only has the Bubble Bounce but also the Elemental Stomp. He can keep the spike protection and projectile invincibility, those parts are neat, but I'd rather he have the Drop Dash or the Insta-Shield. Or his climbing from Knuckles Chaotix, nobody ever talks about that one these days.

I actually thought Mighty's stomp would synergise pretty well with what became of 2.2, actually. Through complete happenstance alone both us and Mania ended up using platforms breakable with vertical abilities, so our stages literally already have Mighty-compatible pathsplits, and both him and our new characters have ways to neutralise the damaging effect of spikes. All that needs to happen is for him to, well, be built as a character to take advantage of them.

Also, I will say that Mystic is misremembering the order regarding SRB2's Save Select menu since it DID get made after Mania's file select was revealed, but I did a lot to make it individualised for our game's specific needs and have its own style, rather than be a straight up repeat of either 3&k or that title. (He's correct that everything else you could call a similarity was 100% planned before the title was even announced, though, and we have the files/logs to prove it. Fang on a train, unlockable characters - all of that stuff was decided before the year of 2.1 was even over!)

Last edited:
Could yall help me find the creator of a wad? Its called classic sonic. Its sonic with a drop dash, insta shield, and peel out. It gives the 2.1 shields new ability's. It had hyper sonic as well. You could only find the wad by server hopping. I just wanna know if the creator is gonna update it for 2.2. It was one of my personal favorite wads. Any response is appreciated

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of talk going around lately that apparently a lot of people don't want to play as Sonic as much as the other characters in 2.2 because he just doesn't feel special in comparison and lacks vertical mobility. I have been thinking of ways this could potentially be fixed, and eventually I came to the following conclusion:

Sonic 3 did a great job at making each of the playable characters special. Tails could fly, Knuckles couldn't jump as high but could glide, climb, and break breakable walls without spinning, and Sonic had perhaps the most special abilities of all: The shield abilities. While any character could pick up a shield and get some sort of elemental benefit from it, only Sonic could use them to use special moves in the air.

SRB2 strips this aspect away from Sonic in favor of giving everyone the shield abilities. I actually agree with this design decision, a lot of the abilities are great to have as anyone in a 3D space. However, perhaps players would feel more incentive to play as Sonic if his thok was altered by the shield he is currently using? The function in essence of the thok shouldn't change, that might trip players up too much and over complicate things if the thok got weaker or stronger or moved in a different direction or etc. What I mean is like for example, when Sonic has a Fire Shield and thoks, perhaps he could leave a trail of fire behind him that falls down and destroys enemies below him? Or when he has a wind shield, perhaps his thok could create a tornado behind him in the spot he thoked from that sucks in enemies and does damage? That sort of thing.

That sort of unique ability only Sonic can do might make him feel more special and open up a lot of potential skill based usages for his unique shield abilities.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back