Double Dragon Neon for PSN and XBLA! Out now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobinator

My thoughts on your posting
Video here!

So, I just got the demo of this off of PSN today, and I've been really loving it. There's sadly no online play yet, and it's a little slower than most of Konami or Capcom's stuff, though. I'm going to be honest here and say that, since I wasn't ever really a fan of the original games, this is probably the best Double Dragon game I've ever played. Comparing it to Scott Pilgrim, I'd say SP definitely looks better, but DD plays a lot better. You get more moves, for one thing, and you don't have to grind quite as much to not end up getting murdered. Not on the default difficulty, anyway.

But if you haven't heard of this, let me break it down for you:

Double Dragon Neon is a remake/sequel to the Double Dragon games from the 80's, and has elements from the first four games. It's a side scrolling beat-em-up where you, as either Billy or Jimmy Lee, walk forward and beat up a lot of people. There are some RPG elements, like in Scott Pilgrim, although they're not quite as important. Basically, you pick up mix tapes that either unlock a new move or change your stats. For example, there's a tape that's basically a Rick Astley song that lets you throw bombs. I'm sure there's a joke there.

Also, this game is ragingly, ragingly, 80's. The bad guy is basically a cross between Shredder and Skeletor, for one thing. It's kind of dumb, sure, but I think it's pretty awesome, given how generic the earlier games kind of were.

It's out now for $10, so if you like beat-em-ups, you might as well go for it. There's no online play yet, but apparently it'll get patched in later on.

Did I mention the music was done by Virt and is also amazing? The end credits theme is the best song for credits since Portal.

Last edited:
How's the gameplay? Simple beat-em ups don't really entertain me, especially when there is nothing to mix it up. They usually feel repetitive to me.

How's the gameplay? Simple beat-em ups don't really entertain me, especially when there is nothing to mix it up. They usually feel repetitive to me.

Well, you've got a decent amount of moves from the start, without unlocking any. You've got two attack buttons you can use while jumping, crouching, or running, plus a grab button to throw enemies and pick up weapons. You can also duck to dodge enemy attacks, which if you do it right, will give you double damage for a few seconds. You can also juggle enemies, if you get good enough, which I thought was cool.

There's also a gimmick where enemies will drop cassette tapes of certain songs that do different things. Half the tapes are for special moves, which you switch between with the Select/Back button and use with the R1/RB buttons. These involve things like fireballs, spin kicks, throwing bombs, and other such things. The other tapes are stances, which change your stats depending on the song you can have equipped. You can also level up your tapes, if you have 10 of the same kind, with mithril you get from killing bosses.

Does that help at all?

Sure, I can see that. I also just watched the IGN review. They were pretty harsh on it, but I suppose I'll just need to download a demo sometime to see for myself.

Sure, I can see that. I also just watched the IGN review. They were pretty harsh on it, but I suppose I'll just need to download a demo sometime to see for myself.

Do you really want to believe anything IGN says? I mean... are you sure about that? Do I have to get that review they did for Imagine Party Babiez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back