How to make Chaos Control Soc (And frame edit question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashrogers

I am wondering if it's possible to create a soc that adds the chaos control ability like in SRB2JTE. If it is could someone please explain how to do this in a way that a computer illiterate would understand (please don't tell me to just check the wiki because even though I've read it millions of times I still don't get it). I also have a simple question: I've seen people tell others that they need to draw their frames from scratch but would I be in trouble if I took pre-made frames that already look mostly similar to what I want to make and just edit on top it until it could be no longer considered a recolour? If so I need to ask permission to use the sprites as a base right? (I just want to make sure that I need to ask) You can pm me if you need to. (I have a feeling that someone who has seen my other posts is going to say: "You have a habit of releasing long posts." The truth is yes I write alot because I try to be as descriptive as possible so that nobody misunderstands me. I also write short stories when school and other things allow for extra time to do so.)

Replicating the SRB2JTE method of Chaos Control using only SOCs is practically impossible. (Ability 3 is Glide without Climb, which is kinda similar, but still very different.) Other means of representing Chaos Control are theoretically possible, but would be extremely difficult, and I doubt the computer illiterate could understand.

As for the base question, so long as the editing is extensive, I don't think it'd be a problem. CZ64's Espio WAD was heavily edited from Sonic, and it was well received, so I wouldn't worry about it, so long as it's a fair amount of alterations.

Draykon said:
As for the base question, so long as the editing is extensive, I don't think it'd be a problem. CZ64's Espio WAD was heavily edited from Sonic, and it was well received, so I wouldn't worry about it, so long as it's a fair amount of alterations.

What if I wanted to keep the hairstyle and ears but add stripes to both?

Draykon said:
Replicating the SRB2JTE method of Chaos Control using only SOCs is practically impossible. (Ability 3 is Glide without Climb, which is kinda similar, but still very different.) Other means of representing Chaos Control are theoretically possible, but would be extremely difficult, and I doubt the computer illiterate could understand.

You're probably right Draykon, the reason I asked if this was possible is because I've seen a glideblast soc. that my friend downloaded that, according to him runs the ability nearly exactly the way it was in SPMoves (he's known about this stuff for a while but when it comes to wadding and soccing, he makes me look like a master!) Though sometimes the computer illiterate can learn pretty quickly seeing as I learned how to edit sprites (on my own) and the skin (with a bit of help from the Character Wad tutorial from the wiki). I'm also willing to learn as soon as school is done (ends on the 13th; that's right it ends early) seeing as exams are taking up most of my time. But I'm willing to learn if someone is willing to teach via pm, posts on this topic, email, etc. I suppose I could attempt to find the files for it in the SRB2JTE program and somehow use that but I'd need JTE's permission before doing so right?

Adding stripes most definitely does NOT constitute enough editing to be acceptable.

As for why Glide Blast was so easy to replicate, that's most likely because it's a fairly simple ability. Chaos Control as rendered in SRB2JTE on the other hand, responds to a different input than any other ingame ability, as well as triggering special effects that can't be SOCced, and turning the player noclip, which can't be SOCced. Depending on how you want to do it though, there are a number of complicated ways you could SOC different Chaos Control-type abilities. I'd recommend trying to get a hang of just playing around with SOCs before even trying though.

Draykon said:
Adding stripes most definitely does NOT constitute enough editing to be acceptable.

As for why Glide Blast was so easy to replicate, that's most likely because it's a fairly simple ability. Chaos Control as rendered in SRB2JTE on the other hand, responds to a different input than any other ingame ability, as well as triggering special effects that can't be SOCced, and turning the player noclip, which can't be SOCced. Depending on how you want to do it though, there are a number of complicated ways you could SOC different Chaos Control-type abilities. I'd recommend trying to get a hang of just playing around with SOCs before even trying though.

Well obviously stripes would not be enough. What I meant was keep the hairstyle but add stripes, change the body colour, shoes, gloves, a form of crest on the chest instead of a beige circle, add fur to the face (mouth area) and maybe add spines to the arms (If I start asking too many questions pinch me, though I just want to make sure (before I screw up big time!) if what I want to do is safe) .

Back to chaos control, I recently tried HMS123.wad and liked it's own version of chaos control in SRB2JTE. (For the general ability, not the nuking part {double bracket; though it is kind of fun to vaporize crawlas in the blink of an eye; in single player obviously} because that is just plain overpowered) If I'm unable to replicate Chaos control the way shadow does it, would it be any easier replicate it the way HMS123 does it (without the nuke of course)?

I don't really see the difference between HMS123311's and Shadow's, save I guess you're allowed to turn around as HMS123311, that won't make it any easier though.

And no, all that stuff you listed is most definitely not enough. Mainly because it honestly sounds like the character you're going for here is something of a generic fancharacter, which is extremely frowned upon on these forums.

Draykon said:
I don't really see the difference between HMS123311's and Shadow's, save I guess you're allowed to turn around as HMS123311, that won't make it any easier though.

And no, all that stuff you listed is most definitely not enough. Mainly because it honestly sounds like the character you're going for here is something of a generic fancharacter, which is extremely frowned upon on these forums.

I think there is a difference between the two chaos control abilities. HMS controls are different (meaning different buttons to push) than Shadow's. Also HMS landings are more difficult to control. Other than those two differences they are essentially the same.

Back to characters, wasn't (I just know someone is going to kill me for saying this ^^') Senku a fan character too? I'm not critisizing him or anything (he is an awesome character) but wasn't he? Also (bit offtopic here) I want to remove my character's spin and replace it with a melee attack. But I've heard rumors that it doesn't work properly, could you please explain? Anyways I think it's probably time my character had a makeover. Would it be a crime to keep the hairstyle the same though? (Just making sure...)

Senku's character WADs aren't really fancharacters, but rather "hedgehogifications" of human characters. Likewise, his characters were acceptable because he went all the way, and completely redid the shading on the sprites. In general if you did that kind of editing it'd be okay in the end, but it's generally a bad idea to keep the spine formation, at the very least you should try and make THAT unique.

Melee attacks have been tried many times, and never really worked that well, so I wouldn't really bother.

Draykon said:
Senku's character WADs aren't really fancharacters, but rather "hedgehogifications" of human characters. Likewise, his characters were acceptable because he went all the way, and completely redid the shading on the sprites. In general if you did that kind of editing it'd be okay in the end, but it's generally a bad idea to keep the spine formation, at the very least you should try and make THAT unique.

Melee attacks have been tried many times, and never really worked that well, so I wouldn't really bother.

I see... well I was thinking last night and I realized that your right so I redrew the Hair/spines so that the side spikes look more in the shape of lightning bolts (because my character is supposed to be the embodiment of lightning. As for the shading I don't know what I'm going to do because I'm terrible at shading.

As for the melee attacks, why don't they work, what's wrong with them?

While spindashing, the player damages any enemy that comes into contact with him. If you create a melee attack by simply setting Maxspin to 0, then the player will simply stay in place, and damage any enemy that touches him. This basically means that in order to hit an enemy, you need to stand still, and hit spindash right before an enemy touches you, which, in practice, is very useless.

Also, the player would still be able to effectively spindash by running and pressing spin.

Draykon said:
While spindashing, the player damages any enemy that comes into contact with him. If you create a melee attack by simply setting Maxspin to 0, then the player will simply stay in place, and damage any enemy that touches him. This basically means that in order to hit an enemy, you need to stand still, and hit spindash right before an enemy touches you, which, in practice, is very useless.

Also, the player would still be able to effectively spindash by running and pressing spin.

So if I made melee attack frames to replace the spinning frames he wouldn't change to them for the attack?

answers: the melee attack lasts forever so you just press attack and the enemies that touch you die like invincibility (but you can't block an attack or servive in lava/waste like supersonic can)
and to do chaos control, type in noclip on or something and use the ability
3 or 5 you will slowly fall with 3 and won't fall at all with 5 and with noclip you will go through walls

Wouldnt using chaos control be like using the honk move as an invisble frame but moving very quickly? If it isnt then idk wtf I'm talking about then.

I just have one more quick question about frame editing: I have been editing my frames pixel by pixel with XWE. Is there an easier way to do this rather than using the tedious pixel by pixel method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back