• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Practice Maps# 2 and 3(not a project)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roboegg99

Okay this is some practice maps I'm gonna do(coop maps), but let me get one straight. This is not a project its a thing I have to do so I can improve on my level making.

Screens of progress:

Sandy Coast:

Ice cave:

Music that is gonna be used in Stages:

Sandy Coast:Sand Oasis zone(sonic and the secret rings music).
Ice cave: Ice Cap zone remix(sonic 3 remix).

I am open to any suggestions or anything so please leave some.

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Probably to see if they're getting any better by what we say about them.

Yes basically, thats the reason why practice map#1 was released, but these will probably take a little longer untill their release.

Ok Roboegg. I have a couple (or more) suggestions for you.

1.) Don't start, continue with, or end projects without proper experience. If you are still learning, all you're going to get is, "Blah blah blah blah bad, blah ring placement, blah blah blah items, blah blah blah design, blah blah blah you suck." I suggest you start slow, and go with your own pace, because frankly, you showed you had potential with your Egg Factory map in Jmankart.

2.) Practice making all types of maps. Don't make the thok barrier's walls too high (4096), and use FOF's. Try to figure out how to make different specials with the SRB2 Specials List. It's an excellent reference, and helps me out too, when I need a bit of refreshing. Match/Tag, CTF, Circut, Co-op, and the unofficial type, diver, should all be recognised, and each one is put together differently.

3.) Item placement is a large part of the map's playability too. Fifty (50) invincibility boxes in the same area is bad. This doesn't seem to be a problem of yours, but it should still be part of your list. Remember, rings make SRB2 go 'round. Use patterns. Don't forget to use more rings for multiplayer modes, such as Match or CTF. You shouldn't use random boxes in Match or CTF though, instead, take a silver ring box, and set the deaf flag for that box. It won't be random, but the items will be different each time opened. It acts like a random itembox, without the random icon, and each item has a set chance of being hit the next time after the one before it.

4.) After completing the basics, you should work on appearance, and scenery. Even if a level has really good gameplay, if it looks clunky, it won't be the best choice for netgames.

5.) Pretty soon, when you get extremely good at level wadding, you need to start calculating the size of the textures, and how many units they take up for the best appearance possible. The professional maps work that way. Take CEZ for example. Ever notice how perfectly the bricks are alligned?

Try following tutorials if you can (hell, I might just make one too), they should help, and I hope these tips helped too.

Looks way too open, scale it down a bit, but not too much. Running through large areas is boring.
Also, jumping between tons of tiny platforms is not fun. One or two large platforms will do, though not too large.

Medium, Draykon.
roboegg99 said:
Who said I was even wading? *evil simile* I gave up wading once all my srb2 stuff got deleted. It makes me want to simile. =)
I laugh at your inconsitency. You got some 'splaining to do.
Segmint said:
Even if a level has really good gameplay, if it looks clunky, it won't be the best choice for netgames.
Even if a level has really good graphics, if it plays clunky, it won't be the best choice for netgames.

Well, I guess it works both ways then, but it's always a good balance to have both in a level, wouldn't you agree, Blue?

BlueZero4 said:
Medium, Draykon.
roboegg99 said:
Who said I was even wading? *evil simile* I gave up wading once all my srb2 stuff got deleted. It makes me want to simile. =)
I laugh at your inconsitency. You got some 'splaining to do.
Segmint said:
Even if a level has really good gameplay, if it looks clunky, it won't be the best choice for netgames.
Even if a level has really good graphics, if it plays clunky, it won't be the best choice for netgames.

Yeah I redownloaded srb2 to play it, than I just went ahead and got my other programs back, and ontop of all of that I've been reading level design 101, so these levels wll come out okay(atleast they should).

Roboegg, Level Desinging 101 is best complimented by playing some contest winning levels.

Segmint said:
Well, I guess it works both ways then, but it's always a good balance to have both in a level, wouldn't you agree, Blue?
Yes, but gameplay is far more important than graphics. Far.

Three wads got your tounge?

....really. They're not that much, and you can delete them after playing.

Why dont you give us a link,for we test your practice maps,and give some tips and opinions?

Because,you never give the link for your projects.

Okay I've decided to cancel all my projects, and do something else(work on my youtube videos), so from now on all my projects are cancelled.

Well, now you can't start projects. Because you've cancelled them, you can't finish ones already in motion, and since you are not allowed to start new ones, you have none to finish, and cannot start.

Seems you have reached an impass.

Do you even know what an impass is? You can't start a topic that involves a wad you are making, and I think you can only release finished ones now.

By the way, Youtube videos? What ever happened to that sprite movie thing? Did you can that too?

Segmint said:
By the way, Youtube videos? What ever happened to that sprite movie thing? Did you can that too?

That movies still going, its just waiting till chatroom series is done, and no I don't know(haven't been in school for awhile).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back