• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Adventures in palette editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once upon a time (read: yesterday), I wanted to try an experiment. Mystic told me it had been suggested before, but: The DooM palette is limited. However, one plus of the DooM engine, at least modern ones, is the ability to replace DooM's palette with different colors. So, I figured, hey - DooM might have like 32 shades of brown, but does SRB2 need 32 shades of brown? No. An old program of mine, MGI Photosuite 95, has, what I consider, a great, robust, 256 color palette. So, I set out to replace SRB2's palette with the palette from MGI.

palettes.png

On the left, the default DooM palette. As you can see, there is a LOT of red and a LOT of brown. On the right, is the palette I wanted to replace it with. It contains tons of colors - which, if I was successful, would give SRB2 a much, much broader range of colors to work with.

So, I crack open srb2.srb in XWE. PLAYPAL is what I'm looking for. I had hoped XWE would let me simply import a .pal file, but unfortunately, I quickly learn it uses a different format. Not knowing what the format is, I do the smart thing: I export SRB2's PLAYPAL to my HDD. It exports to PLAYPAL.act

Immediately I reckognize the file format. .ACT is what Mugen sprites use for their palettes! Using PrjPalEdit.exe from my Mugen tools, I open the ACT file. SRB2's palette loads! Even better, PrjPalEdit.exe opens .pal files! I convert my Palette to a .ACT and load it into palette.wad.

Now for the hard part. For this to work properly, I need to export _every single graphic_ SRB2 uses, and re-import them. See, when you export graphics to .BMP, they keep their original palettes. Once you re-import them, most DooM editors will reckognize the fact you have a new palette installed and will adjust your graphics to fit the new palette. Thus, if I export all of SRB2's graphics and import them into palette.wad, XWE will automatically try and convert the graphics to my new palette! It's not perfect - but this is just an experiment; a quick test, if you will, to see how it might look. If the export and import is successful, I planned on running them through a better graphics converter that would match the colors much better.

The process takes awhile. SRB2 contains over 1300 sprites, and 1000 floor/wall textures. Exporting them roughly takes 3-5 minutes, whereas importing them takes twice that long.

And the end result? Shield your eyes, children.

srb20041.gif

As you can see, it did not quite go as planned. Some aspects look fine - Crawlas, the sky. The grass is kind of green. The color on Sonic's sprite is supposed to be borked; I didn't replace his colors, as that would likely require hex editing, and I am not good at hex editing. However, it is now I learn the disturbing fact: While PrjPalEdit.exe opens and edits the .ACT files XWE gave me, it is not 100% compatible.

srb20043.gif

I primarily learn this fact after I give up and try to edit the palette simply: Another thing that's bugged me about SRB2's palette is the fact that the green is kind of washed out. So, using the .ACT editor, I tried to change the palette to be a more natural shade of green - and it accidentally shifted all of SRB2's colors down one notch, making everything a slightly darker color. (Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of that)

Eventually I settled for XWE's palette editor to change the green. However, I was still determined to give SRB2 the new, fancy palette. I would have to face my worst enemy. The DooM editor I always avoid. I would have to open DeepSea.

Disturbingly, it was easy to import a new palette into DeepSea; but it raised my awareness of the DooM palette: There's more than one. XWE only lets you import one palette at a time, whereas DooM has multiple palettes it switches to whenever you pick up an item or get hit by an enemy. It also forced me to learn about Color Maps: as in, the other shades of color DooM uses for darker environments and whatever else. Quite simply put? For the time being, I have abandoned giving SRB2 a new palette. However, all is not lost.

Here, you can download a WAD with a new palette for SRB2. It changes one thing: The greens. It makes them a much more natural shade of green, rather than the dull, washed out green DooM uses by default. It makes the grass look... greener.

greener.gif

You can download this tiny enhancement here. I haven't noticed many anomolies using it, although I have a feeling it might mess up the Armegeddon Shield. (I haven't tested it with that, yet)

Look up Cookie Monster's "Inkworks" program. It allows you to insert a new palette in Doom and it'll autogenerate all of the colormaps and stuff too.

I say, that green surely does look sexy.

It looks especially nice with the grass textures I use in my contest wad.

Hm. Inkworks is a DOS program. Hopefully it'll work with XP okay. =P

A bit of messing with DeepSea brings me one step closer:

srb20046.gif

srb20051.gif

For a dry run, XWE converted all the textures pretty okay. I'm sure if I would've used PSP, however, it would've looked much, much closer (and hopefully fixed the transparent sludge problem there :P). However, a bug arises that has me a bit worried:

srb20047.gif

Semi-transparent objects seem to be hardcoded to use the DooM palette to best-guess how they should be rendered to appear transparent. Change the Palette... and they screw up, still trying to calculate the colors for the original DooM palette and not your new one.

BlazeHedgehog said:
You can download this tiny enhancement here. I haven't noticed many anomolies using it, although I have a feeling it might mess up the Armegeddon Shield. (I haven't tested it with that, yet)

You may want to worry about it not working in OpenGL first.
But at least in software, the Armageddon Shield is fine...

Dark Warrior said:
BlazeHedgehog said:

You may want to worry about it not working in OpenGL first.

Tried it in OpenGL, worked fine. Why, did it not work in OpenGL for you?

It just...Didn't.
No error, no nothing.
It loaded, but didn't work...
Can't explain it, really :\

Those screenshots remind me of the inverted colors thing that happens sometimes when you minimize SRB2.

BlazeHedgehog said:
the transparent sludge problem there

In DeepSea, you need to go to the wad insertion options and choose "Wintex Default" for the transparent color.

Semi-transparent objects seem to be hardcoded to use the DooM palette to best-guess how they should be rendered to appear transparent. Change the Palette... and they screw up, still trying to calculate the colors for the original DooM palette and not your new one.

See the TRANSMED, TRANSFIR, TRANSFX, etc. entries in SRB2.SRB? Those are the translation tables for translucency. You'll need to edit those.

SSNTails said:

See the TRANSMED, TRANSFIR, TRANSFX, etc. entries in SRB2.SRB? Those are the translation tables for translucency. You'll need to edit those.

I'm starting to see why Mystic said this idea was scrapped because it'd be too much work. =P

BlazeHedgehog said:
I'm starting to see why Mystic said this idea was scrapped because it'd be too much work. =P

TeamTNT (the BOOM guys) might have a utility for generating the translucency tables.

I think you can save the translucency tables as an image, and then edit it and re-insert it as a floor/ceiling texture and it'll work...

I made a new, good palette before, using only XWE, as well as a colormap table for it. The only thing I didn't bother to do was the sprites...

XWE is great with the colormap. You can have it automaticly generate a new one based on the palette it's currently set to use (there's a menu option in the palette viewer to set it as the current palette if it's not for some reason) as well as allowing you to tell it what color to fade to and how many steps 'till it gets there (default is 32... or 16?... SRB2Ween uses the colormap to fade to grey rather then black; Mind you, OpenGL doesn't use the colormap so much, and will fade to black regardless.)

As for translucency, I can't help ya there... Best I could say is export them as images and import them to have them ajusted to the new palette, then edit them... Though I doubt that would turn out well unless you know EXACTLY how they work and how to properly generate one...

So yeah. I've done a lot of messing with the palette before (though very few people appreciated any of it at all)... Too bad I wasn't around to help sooner.

ega-srb2.gif

It's SRB2... on your favorite EGA computer!

But not really.

Anyway, for those who want to give THAT a whirl, look here. It also works for DOOM, albeit not as prettily - mostly because this thing SUCKS with dark areas. Really badly.

Shadow Hog said:
ega-srb2.gif

It's SRB2... on your favorite EGA computer!

But not really.

Anyway, for those who want to give THAT a whirl, look here. It also works for DOOM, albeit not as prettily - mostly because this thing SUCKS with dark areas. Really badly.

Lol, that looks like an 8 bit version of SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back