Opengl shadows display incorrectly on slopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro

I0YIwuD.png

Opengl shadows seem to always appear at the highest point of a slope rather than staying below you.

My only joke guess is that the shadow would keep up, but since slopes became a new thing, it was confused on how to follow, so the shadow said "You know what? F*ck this. I will just get to the ceiling."
But it wound up getting stuck during mid-descending.
At least that's my opinion.

What's the point of those buggy shadows anyway ?, Not like they're going to Improve the quality :P

Because people flip out whenever we remove anything, even if it's bad.

That said, they killed coronas back during 2.0 development, so I guess OGL's broken extra features are more at-risk of outright removal than software's. (Even though I liked coronas...)

My only joke guess is that the shadow would keep up, but since slopes became a new thing, it was confused on how to follow, so the shadow said "You know what? F*ck this. I will just get to the ceiling."
But it wound up getting stuck during mid-descending.
At least that's my opinion.

Actually, the shadow is most likely positioned using the height the sector's floor WOULD be at if it wasn't sloped. So if that was the height of the top end of the slope, then the shadow is positioned up there. If it was the bottom end... the shadow would be underneath the slope instead, lol.

Actually, the shadow is most likely positioned using the height the sector's floor WOULD be at if it wasn't sloped. So if that was the height of the top end of the slope, then the shadow is positioned up there. If it was the bottom end... the shadow would be underneath the slope instead, lol.

Yeah, I wasn't very clear with my wording, but this is exactly what it is.

On the subject of whether or not they're worth keeping, I like them because they help me position myself during tighter platforming segments, as well as help keep track of rings lost when hit. I'm aware that there's a release in the lua section for a blob shadow that halfway fills the same purpose, but it's nice to have something like this in an unmodified game. I find them helpful enough that I would prefer keeping them in a buggy state to not having them at all.

Last edited:
For a moment, I thought that shadow was supposed to be some sort of flying airship out in the distance.

I can't really see shadows being updated to work properly with slopes. They're already weird enough as it is, a possible solution could be to stretch them up the slope when a player is standing on them, but that could become really weird. If anything I can see them just being moved to the height of the slope where the player is and not sloping them at all so they work how they do with stairs right now, still has all the same issues. Maybe one day they can be replaced with proper blob shadows.

Shadows make no sense, the light source is always above you making it non-realisitc.

Like Sryder said, blobs suit much better, in my opinion

Realistic shadows, sponsored by "Sonic Team JR" or whoever did this .

How does that work? Sonics shadow is infornt of him but the shadows on the pillars are moving toward sonics direction?

Where is the light source aimed at?!

if only there is a way to make a light source from one location in the world map and all the shadows could move away from the light.

Could it be possible?

But isn't there a lua for that?

I don't remember if it's in the MB but isn't there a "lua_playershadows" floating around here already? It's a blob shadow I just dont rember if it works on slopes. Though it just works with players, I think it could be adapted to put blobs on most objects(badniks, monitors, rings.)

If anything I can see them just being moved to the height of the slope where the player is and not sloping them at all so they work how they do with stairs right now, still has all the same issues. Maybe one day they can be replaced with proper blob shadows.

That fix would be fine with me as the shadows would at least be useful on slopes then.

Shadows underneath the player are such a standard for 3D platform games that I'm surprised SRB2 doesn't at least have a blob shadow underneath the player by default, but this is treading into suggestion territory rather than a bug report.

That fix would be fine with me as the shadows would at least be useful on slopes then.

Shadows underneath the player are such a standard for 3D platform games that I'm surprised SRB2 doesn't at least have a blob shadow underneath the player by default, but this is treading into suggestion territory rather than a bug report.

I believe some kind of feature was being worked on at some point for software that would do blob shadows. If I recall correctly it was never finished due to issues or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back