Certain Sprites can't have MD2s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virt

Trollerskates
Okay, so I've gotten into the MD2 Business, but for some reason, some of the models aren't going in. I created models with animation, and put the code in. Here's the code that won't work:

Code:
 BIRD BIRD.md2 5.0 0.0
TOAD TOAD.md2 0.8 0.0
VLTR VLTR.md2 5.0 0.0

They're all saved as MD2s. What's wrong?

Okay, that joke's gone far enough. It's Sora, and he does work. But his animations aren't done yet. Does anybody know the answer to my question?

Also, replacing the Koopa shell doesn't work.

Last edited:
All im saying is, STjr. is being lazy for no reason (im thinking), or something ain't going right.

Last edited:
Joey, as I learned in the past, Sonic Team Jr is not being lazy, they just have lives. They rarely ever work on Srb2, so be paitent. I do believe that STJR did not work on md2s very much.

The only sprites I know of that don't work with MD2 are the snow and maybe the rain (I haven't actually checked if the rain works, I know the snow doesn't). Anyway, try replacing those sprites with a different model you know works, to make sure it isn't the models themselves causing the problem.

Joey, as I learned in the past, Sonic Team Jr is not being lazy, they just have lives. They rarely ever work on Srb2, so be paitent. I do believe that STJR did not work on md2s very much.

Did you see the (I think) thing in there? I put 2 probabilities why its like that. Not just the lazy part.

They rarely ever work on Srb2, so be paitent.
Now that's not true. Individual persons might not be working on it all the time, but that doesn't mean STJr as a group is rarely working on it. Although I doubt they're gonna do anything about something as unimportant as MD2s.

Yeah, but they DO port an unfinished game to other consoles instead of actually finishing the game itself *shot*

Yeah, but they DO port an unfinished game to other consoles instead of actually finishing the game itself *shot*

only 3 peoples are handing ports, Oogaland and Callum and mainly, Me, and that just because I am main Inferface programmer, I do not mess with the game logic

The only sprites I know of that don't work with MD2 are the snow and maybe the rain (I haven't actually checked if the rain works, I know the snow doesn't). Anyway, try replacing those sprites with a different model you know works, to make sure it isn't the models themselves causing the problem.

This is because the snow and rain are not real mobjs, they are precipmobjs, they are lightweight versions of mobjs, so we spawn a whole lot of them without eating more memory then needed just to render them, but yea, the MD2 code just skips over them because we never update it to handle precipmobjs, just to avoid a crash/slowdown. if you want to test out the MD2 handling the render of snow and rain, just modify
Code:
	// Look at HWR_ProjetctSprite for more
	if (cv_grmd2.value && (md2_models[spr->mobj->sprite].scale > 0) && !spr->precip)
	{
TO
Code:
	// Look at HWR_ProjetctSprite for more
	if (cv_grmd2.value && (md2_models[spr->mobj->sprite].scale > 0))
	{

then you would need t o handle "mobjs" that are P_NullPrecipThinker(), P_SnowThinker() or P_RainThinker() and not read anymore that a precipmobj_t have in it's fields

then you would need t o handle "mobjs" that are P_NullPrecipThinker(), P_SnowThinker() or P_RainThinker() and not read anymore that a precipmobj_t have in it's fields

It's called Inheritance for C!

Here's the code that won't work:

Code:
 BIRD BIRD.md2 5.0 0.0
TOAD TOAD.md2 0.8 0.0
VLTR VLTR.md2 5.0 0.0
They're all saved as MD2s. What's wrong

The code does work. I created some dummy models and tested them with the code you provided:

md2test.png

(XSRB2 screenshots. Dummy models: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4799936/SRB2/Files/md2test.zip)

The first time I tried to create a MD2, the model was so small, I could barely see them. Perhaps, it's your problem :/

Last edited:
The code does work. I created some dummy models and tested them with the code you provided:

md2test.png

(XSRB2 screenshots. Dummy models: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4799936/SRB2/Files/md2test.zip)

The first time I tried to create a MD2, the model was so small, I could barely see them. Perhaps, it's your problem :/
No, the model is fine, and the right size, but for some reason, instead of displaying the model, it displays the normal sprite. This happens for lots more than just the models I provided, by the way. Jeck says he has the same problems. What program did you use to make the models?

Modeling: Blender (www.blender.org), exported as *.obj.
MD2: Misfit Model 3D (http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d)
DAT editor: PSPad (http://www.pspad.com/en/download.php)

Currently I'm using the following MD2.dat:
Code:
PLAY PLAY.MD2 3.0 0.0
SIGN SIGN.MD2 6.0 0.0
STPT STPT.MD2 2.0 0.0
FWR3 FWR3.md2 3.0 0.0
VLTR VLTR.md2 5.0 0.0
BIRD BIRD.md2 5.0 0.0
TOAD TOAD.md2 0.8 0.0
EDIT:
Try to disable any autoload that runs upon starting (autocfg, scripts etc). And this is the confing I use to run OGL (I don't know if it helps in any way):
gr_filtermode 0
gr_md2 1
gr_fog 0
limitdraw 0
shadows 0 (if XSRB2: 1)

Last edited:
Thanks, now I've gotten some more files working. Now if only I could size the Toad right. ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back