Linedef Type 65 - Bridge Thinker: what is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezer'Arch

ArchPack 2.5 is on the way
Bridge Thinker is a linedef type that is found in CEZ1 and CEZ2 and it's related to FOF usage.

I'm curious to know what this linedef type does.

I think it's an unfinished feature that was planned for v2.0. Basically, it was supposed to make pieces of a bridge dip downwards when you step on it, as well as possibly make nearby pieces of the bridge also come down a bit.

I think I remember seeing it working in beta, but that was over a year ago. If I remember correctly, it had problems handling multiple players being on the bridge at the same time.

Here's a couple of pictures demonstrating how it was supposed to work:

bridge1.png

bridge2.png

Last edited:
I think it's an unfinished feature that was planned for v2.0. Basically, it was supposed to make pieces of a bridge dip downwards when you step on it, as well as possibly make nearby pieces of the bridge also come down a bit.

I think I remember seeing it working in beta, but that was over a year ago. If I remember correctly, it had problems handling multiple players being on the bridge at the same time.

Here's a couple of pictures demonstrating how it was supposed to work:

bridge1.png

bridge2.png
Oh. I see... was it made for making 2.0 more realistic?

I don't know if I'd say more realistic. It was mainly just a visual gimmick; something the player would see and go "Ooh, that's neat."

I found out I still had a beta where it was working (sorta...). Here's a screenshot of the short wooden bridge near the start of the left path in CEZ1:

srb20000.png

As you can see, it doesn't really display properly (the sides of the FOFs are gone), and in some places it doesn't even set the FOFs to the correct height.

Last edited:
So it can't be used in the current version? Would come in handy for a map I'm working on, as I was going to look at scripting that sort of effect. A linetype would obviously be alot easier, heh.

Hey, FuriousFox, could you post a download for that level that uses LD65? I know it doesn't work properly, but it would be nice to look at the map and get a sense of how it was supposed to work, in case a later version fully supports it.

Hey, FuriousFox, could you post a download for that level that uses LD65? I know it doesn't work properly, but it would be nice to look at the map and get a sense of how it was supposed to work, in case a later version fully supports it.

CEZ1 and CEZ2 both still use it, even though it's not active. If you look at the bridge in the above picture in a wad editor, you can see the control sectors for it out to the left. It'll be a series of rectangular sectors.

Also, I think the wrong heights may be due to how that bridge was set up. Some of the tags seem to go to the wrong places.

This effect would only really work if the bridge was loose from the start, and all it did would be warp it to various different Bézier curves. The thinker should take into consideration all the players on top of the bridge and their distance to the center in order to average out P1 (as illustrated in this wikipedia article).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back