Suggestions

While it would fly at the same speed as other rings (perhaps just a hair bit slower) it would only work well on targets that are stationary or don't move a lot, and since most Railers tend to be stationary or slow-moving when they snipe, it almost seems logical.

So you think that shooting slow rings at someone who is at a distance which makes the rail ring effective would be useful? Wouldn't it be much easier to simply shoot back at the slow-moving/stationary target using a rail ring? Where is the benefit of a homing ring in that situation?

Often at times Railers will always camp at the highest possible foundation of land they can reach, and players trying to throw a Bomb Ring from a lower altitude would be much harder to hit since it's easy for the Railer to dodge the bomb. Grenades wouldn't work since they have a very short throwing distance.
Again, simply shooting a rail back isn't an option?^^

This is not a 100% invisibility, you can still be seen, but only as a shadowy black figure that is 20% visible (80% invisible). The idea of only allowing clockers to sling normal Rings is to prevent the idea of "invisible Railers" who abuse both the cloak and the rail rings, or the cloak and any other form of "uber" weapon ring. You could only hold five Cloaks at a time (with one being added on each pickup), and after each use, you must wait five seconds before you can use another. Also, you would be silent while using the cloak, however any Rings that you toss would make a sound. Unlike the .soc you linked to, uncloaking would not make a sound.
It still sounds hard to balance and hard to implement in a way which doesn't make either the cloak or the other weapon rings useless. Also, using the cloak might make the rail ring even more powerful - you can't even shoot back with anything else than a simple red ring.

Shield monitors are few and far between in matches, and by the time you reach one, another player will have very likely taken the shield for themselves.
You might be too slow...

Some of them are in really ridiculous areas to reach and their hitboxes are so small that it's very easy to miss if you try to Thok/Glide or spindash into one.
...and might want to practise aiming. :-)

Why is the game unbalanced; why is anything "overpowered" if everyone has the same chances and those with better experience / better aiming get more points?

Sure there will be a new handicap in 2.1 that gives every player not in the lead a standard shield upon spawning, but in the case of trying to collect additional shields or a better shield.
Sorry, could you rephrase that? What I meant is that you try to "fix" a problem which already has a solution called "shields".

Last edited:
bots for SRB2 2.5

like on SRB2CB/SRB2JTE,
TSJR (short to team sonic jr) should add bots for SRB2. but not on 2.1 (otherwise 2.1 would get delayed.), but rather 2.1, it should be 2.5!

I realize that this only would affect opengl and thus would likely not be added, but I was wondering if you could add support for Palletted PNG's for the 3D Models, as a method to allow color changing 3D Models without a specific wad that needs to be added to pull it off.
It would also be nice if you could pull the code for the 3D Models for specific skins from SRB2CB, so multiplayer support in OpenGL would work out. An alternative method to do the color changing would be to have separate textures for each Color, ranging from say, PLAY-00.png to PLAY-15.png. If a color is not added for this, it could load from the default skin, named either PLAY-00.png or PLAY.png

I'm sorry if this has already been suggested, but it would be great if it was possible to map the Camera Rotate L and Camera Rotate R controls to the joysticks.

I would like to play the game in Analogue mode using controls that are typical to a third person platformer; left analogue stick for movement, right analogue stick for camera movement. However, the joystick configuration doesn't seem to include the camera controls (aside from "Looking", which tilts the camera slightly up and down).

like on SRB2CB/SRB2JTE,
TSJR (short to team sonic jr) should add bots for SRB2. but not on 2.1 (otherwise 2.1 would get delayed.), but rather 2.1, it should be 2.5!

y2014-moviemode.gif

So, I've been talking with someone about the game, now that the update is out, and he's been extremely frustrated with it so far.

Okaaaay I reached Egg Rock once more and I hate the game again. Forgot how utter bullshit insane this level is difficulty-wise. At least Eggmanland had the politeness to give you infinite lives. ... I'd be fine with toughing it out if Egg Rock wasn't so long but only getting three chances to beat "one false move and you're dead" areas after areas before having to start from the beginning of the level and play stuff you've already proven yourself good enough to beat is just maddening.

I can understand his frustration. It's going to get even worse when he gets to ERZ3, since that stage eats up lives like candy the first time you play it. And when you get a game over, you're bumped all the way back to ERZ1.

Would you guys be willing to implement an entirely optional "infinite lives" mode? I think it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for some people.

There needs to be a higher minimum gravity threshold for passing through slime. Every time you go through it, you have to wait at least five seconds before you can jump up again because of it constantly bobbing you up and down; this slows down gameplay unnecessarily. The minimum threshold should be just under Knuckles' jump height.

So, I've been talking with someone about the game, now that the update is out, and he's been extremely frustrated with it so far.

I can understand his frustration. It's going to get even worse when he gets to ERZ3, since that stage eats up lives like candy the first time you play it. And when you get a game over, you're bumped all the way back to ERZ1.

Would you guys be willing to implement an entirely optional "infinite lives" mode? I think it would make the game a lot more enjoyable for some people.

Has ERZ been changed at all, aside from 3?

It's supposed to be tough. It's the last Zone of the game.

You should really extend the time to beat THZ2. It is ridiculously hard to get under 2 minutes already and with that elevator at the end giving you instantly +10 seconds it's near impossible. That's from an experianced player that managed to get AGZ under 4 minutes by the way...

This really isn't the topic for that kind of change, but it's well more than possible to get a sub 2 minute time in THZ2. I intentionally made THZ2 have a moderately strict time limit, but there's still quite a bit of leeway. You'll probably want to try all the routes and figure out an optimal path and try to find shortcuts, though.

Knuckles' slide should cover less distance. It's killed me more times than I can count in precarious platforming segments.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Also, the difficulty of the DSZ boss is a little over what it should be. I would recommend adding a couple platforms closer to the center so that it's easier to hit the pinch phase boss without killing yourself.

犬夜叉;742482 said:
Honestly, you shouldn't be allowed to pause in Record Attack/NiGHTS Mode anyway.
As someone who doesn't want to give up the ability to take a break during long ring runs without the risk of getting hit/bloating the replay file, and yet who's also abused pausing in one time attack instance (to read which Eggman was real on DSZ3), would a compromise of a pause screen that completely blocks the in-game view maybe be a good idea?

Also, it'd be great to be able to navigate menus with movement keys. (Alternately, have configurable menu navigation keys that ignore the controls per key setting so they can be mapped over other keys?) As it is, my options are either take one hand off my controls to navigate with the arrow keys or try to use the mouse to navigate, neither of which are very convenient.

Also, the difficulty of the DSZ boss is a little over what it should be. I would recommend adding a couple platforms closer to the center so that it's easier to hit the pinch phase boss without killing yourself.
The issue I've had with this boss is that telling the fake ones apart from the real one is difficult at low resolutions (I've been playing in 640x400w). Maybe make the difference in head shape slightly more pronounced for longer distances? Because as it is, I can't tell if I'm hitting a fake until right before I go for it, unless I pause, squint, and try to guess.

You should really extend the time to beat THZ2. It is ridiculously hard to get under 2 minutes already and with that elevator at the end giving you instantly +10 seconds it's near impossible. That's from an experianced player that managed to get AGZ under 4 minutes by the way...

You know, you don't necessarily HAVE to be Sonic to earn the time attack emblem...

The Metal Sonic Race Start object would be really cool expanded out into a multipurpose Actor object, that could use multiple different instances of the object and replays for different purposes and possibly different skins somehow? Ideally it'd be nice to be able to tag the race-starting linedef to a specific instance of the thing (angle/360 on the thing in question?) and give it an argument for a specific replay file to use. I'm imagining all kinds of possibilities from that like actor paths branching based on certain level conditions and opening up new level paths for the player and such.

And hey, maybe the replays don't have to be limited to that specific object? If one could set a trigger to take over the player's controls based on a replay file, it'd open up some neat cinematic possibilities for more elaborate intros/endings or maybe even mid-level cutscenes? (Ensuring the replay is incorporated smoothly would, obviously, be the responsibility of the mapper.)

Split Thok sound and Ring throw sound. These two sounds still share the exact same sound so if you set your Thok sound to say the armageddon shield sound, you'll get armageddon ring slinging as well. It'd be nice if these were actually split.

So I was thinking of this for the new NIGHTS special stages.

When I was playing today earlier, I entered a Special stage with an ally that was able to get to the Ideya Capture before I could (yes I know I'm new to NIGHTS mode, just bare with me, 2.1 is quite recent and the mode itself is kinda tricky controlling with 8-way controls instead of analog) thus taking the Emerald, and thus I couldn't finish and had to wait for the other player since there was no way for me to take an emerald of my own after the Ideya Capture is destroyed by the other player.

For the sake of scoring in Special stages (not in NIGHTS mode itself which is accessed from the menus), there could be the addition of "Sphere Bonus" and "Time Bonus" to go along with "Link Bonus", since one major gripe I had about the old Special Stages was clearing it would always give you a set score unless you fail the Special Stage, and despite it being timed, there wasn't really any reward for finishing it quickly.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back