Let's talk about NiGHTS levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueZero4

(not a palindrome)
So, I was working a NiGHTS level today, and I realized "Wow, there's really a lot to this!"

On an insignificant note, the technicalities don't seem too daunting. I've set up hoops and axis stuff before, albeit on a much smaller scale. I haven't put any of them in so far, but I'm planning to soon. I'd like to construct my sector layout at the same time as the path for NiGHTS to run on, for the sake of some things like "How wide does this doorway need to be for the camera to get through?" and "Well, this turn is awkward."

One of the highlights of NiGHTS levels in SRB2 for me is that's an excuse to make something that's visually great with a different style. However, I played (and started mapping for) SRB2's NiGHTS mode before I'd even seen the real NiGHTS. Comparing an NiD level such as Splash Garden with Botanic Serenity (and even Spring Hill) makes me feel like I'm making levels in an entirely different style. I was also really surprised the first time I saw the yellow corner hoops. Does anyone else feel like they're scarred somehow?

Also, SRB2 seems to have wandered really far from the theme that NiGHTS was using. NiD has some semi-realistic mountains, as well as a good portion of city/man-made stuff. Partly, I do blame slopes. But, in another respect, SRB2 just doesn't have a texture set that works for a city that doesn't look like Dark City Zone. Although, what really surprises me is that the only two NiGHTS levels we've got going around are GFZ themed. Anyone else shocked here? Not that either BSZ or Spring Hill look bad, but...

I'm really surprised Spring Hill isn't graphically glitchy. I wouldn't be surprised if that has to do with the fact that it's just a flat plain with a bunch of scenery obscuring the sheer distance of a NiGHTS level. I mean, I seriously don't blame Digiku for all those graphical glitches. As soon as I said "This isn't working, let's make it bigger," I was practically welcoming software glitches with open arms.

Which brings me to my next point. Should I be using a particular nodebuilder to help cut down on the graphical glitches? I've been using ZDBSP with normal ol' DB for a while, mainly because the version of ZenNode included with DB can't handle it. I tried using the version of ZenNode included in SRB2DB, and I must say, it feels good. It builds the nodes faster than ZDBSP, although I can't say I've noticed a (significant) drop in software glitches. Any suggestions?

It's not a second topic. Check the date of the post. The other posts are gone as well.

Therefore, this must be some sort of mind game.

*cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back