StH (the new one) has a demo out now on Xbox Live.

So is the demo any good?

• I love it. This is a must-buy.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I kinda like it - it's very fun.

• I don't really like it - really needs work.

• I dunno, I don't have a 360.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It took Sonic Team all most 10 years to find out what happened to there Sonic 2 Beta rom and that people where downloading it and playing it. So how long do you think it will be until Sonic Team learns how to make better games

No Omega, it's not pointless bias. The 3D games have a LOT of things wrong with them. Controls, camera, bottomless pits, numerous glitches, hard-to-reach unlockables, things like that. And Sonic Team hasn't learned at all from their mistakes. They kept on producing Sonic games with the same problems. That's what's troubling them. I liked SA2, mind you. Though I believe it started to go downhill once Sonic Heroes came out. In a way, it's deja-vu all over again. Sonic Heroes was being anticipated as a multi-console Sonic game with an innovative character system, and when it came out, people found it to be bad. Same thing is happening for Sonic 2006. The franchise will die if they don't start listening to their fans.

Personally, I am not looking for a "return to the classics" or for Big the Cat to be nuked into subatomic particles. I'm looking for the serious gameplay issues that have been pointed out time and time again since Sonic Adventure 1 to be resolved. Big the Cat sucked. His gameplay model was never brought back. I consider Big the Cat to be a success because they learned "this is a stupid idea" and never did it again. Trying new ideas is fine as long as you're going to learn from them and fix the issues with them (in this case, ditching that god-awful fishing minigame altogether). The linearity, finally, after seven years, it looks like they're dealing with in Sonic 360. If the reports are correct, the level design has been given a makeover to add multiple paths and more exploration. Thank GOD. Applause for them on that. The camera, however, was also considered to be an issue from Sonic Adventure since launch. Seven years later, they STILL haven't fixed it, and apparently they haven't fixed it in Sonic 360 either. That to me is a much more appalling laziness than any other issue with the 3D Sonic games.

The other stuff that I make fun of in the newer Sonic games is just secondary. While I'm annoyed by the lack of control in loops, and the painfully lame deaths, the camera is my main objection, and if they haven't fixed it in Sonic 360, they obviously don't care about the quality of their game. Practically every 3D Sonic game review since SA1 came out on the Dreamcast has mentioned the camera as a weak point in the game. I cannot fathom them not knowing that the camera is an issue they need to resolve, as it's a very well documented flaw in the 3D Sonic games that they refuse to fix. If they still haven't fixed it, they're just lazy, and they should be dissed for it. It's not a "reset" of the franchise if they don't fix the basic problems the previous games had, now is it?

Super mystic sonic said:
Shadow Hog said:
I've played it now. The camera is WORSE than the Adventure series, by a long shot. (Case in point - manually moving it is really slow, it likes to give you horrible angles over bottomless pits for show, it's going all over the place while you're in movement but not always where you want it to, sometimes it stutters while you're near an edge, etc.)

I don't really care about the camera, as long as it doesn't go all messy when I aproach a wall.
I would imagine it does. I should try that, actually.

Super mystic sonic said:
The deadzone's not been handled very well - the slowest speed you can move at is the medium speed for most games (early Sonic ones included)

Speed for life! Faster = better. ALWAYS.
Absoulte BS. Sonic was awesome because it had good FLOW, not good speed. For example, go make a WAD where you have nothing but a linear path with a lot of speed-ups shoving you in that direction. There, you have speed. But is it any fun? Hell no.

Super mystic sonic said:
The level design was okay, but it has way too many bottomless pits - are they ever going to figure out that's no fun?

I've gotta agree with that. If you fall in water, you should run to the spring and go out of there. Of course that should happen quickly before you drown.
Glad we agree there - the pits need bottoms, long story short.

Super mystic sonic said:
Physics errors abound, where flying robots can clip right through giant slabs of rock slamming in on their head, or where you can slip right through a box you should be interacting with.

I never cared about glitches/clipping. Even better, I enjoy them. I have had sooo many fun going to forbidden levels with Sonic/Tails using glitches. Tails in emerald coast, Glitchy? No, FUN! And of course you have more fun like that.
Then use an Action Replay. For those of us who want to play the game properly, though, it should at least satisfy that request. Glitchiness doesn't.

Super mystic sonic said:
I'm not asking much. I want speed, hopefully as fast as Sonic can run in Sonic X, and I want freedom in levels/adventure fields. Thats exactly what I loved in SADX, now I want it back in this game. SA2 kinda failed to me. A boring chao mode, no adventure fields, and less levels for Sonic. In SADX you had more then 10, and you also have bonus levels and adventure fields!
Me, I just want good flow over various paths, which often times stack up vertically. This game has the various paths, which is good, but there're still bottomless pits to avoid, which break the flow up considerably - especially with enemies all over the place.

Really, I want to like the game. But the flaws are just too nagging for this to be acceptable on a game-wide basis.

ok, i can't believe i haven't seen this topic before. The next-gen expert is here...

I really disagree, i tried the demo myself and sonic is not more sluggish.
I will admit the fact though, there is glitches and some downsides.

Since someone before me told everthing about the demo, lemme say the goods things from the bad..

Lets start with the bad.....

1. Sonic starts off a little slower then the other titles, this could be because of the new ring system. You now must collect rings to attain a higher speed.

2. The camera is not perfect, but its better then the Adventure series.
At least there is no suprise unfair attacks or hits..

3. Yes, there is some glitches but there not that bad unless you do something stupid to attain them.

4. The demo was a short teaser-like expierience.

5. Silver or Shadow wasn't availible.

6. his attack is very exagerated (hope i spelled that right,)
when he uses his attack, he slides as if he is on ice. not very good and pretty unrealistic.

Now Good,

1. Very addictive gameplay. Even though it was short, i couldnt stop playing it.

2. You can now use homing attacks without jumping and use them in midair.

3. Graphics has increased INCREDIBLY! :eek:

4. The Debris from objects and physics of the game is really realistic.

5. There is weak and harder enemies like in shadow the hedgehog.

6. you can actually hear sonic steps in a realistic manner.

7. camerea is better.

8. Rings have a purpose besides an extra life! When you collect more rings, you speed increases. In the final game, rings can be used as money to purchase things in the town stages.

9. some new gameplay elements, nothing major.

10. a trailer was included in the demo after the stage is finished.

11. The game now uses a "fake letterbox or widescreen" like Resident evil 4. This makes the game seem more cinematic.

12. Rank S has been included and is now the highest rank in the game, this mustve been picked up by sonic rush.

13. Sonic moves more realisticly and is easier to control and he doesnt slide. Except for his attack.

The truth is, this will be even better when the game comes out. I never had so much fun playin a sonic game since CD, SA2, or Rush. I even covinced people who arent sonic fans at all, to play this demo and they loved it.

There is more upsides to this game such as Shadow the hedgehog game elements returning, the return of Blaze, classic levels return and etc., but
what ive told you was from the demo.

Omega the Hedgehog said:
*image about classic fanboys]

You do realise that image can be adapted to the new school as well. "Camera dosn't matter, clipping doesn't matter, crappy gameplay styles don't matter, needs 1337er graphix"

SSNTails said:
Ditch Sonic and go play Ratchet & Clank. You will be happy you did.

funny story about that, i played that game a few times at bestbuy because everyone told me it was good. i tried to like it but when i played that game, i hated it the gameplay and it was too boring for me...

Boooooooo 3rd person shooters..

I never cared about glitches/clipping. Even better, I enjoy them. I have had sooo many fun going to forbidden levels with Sonic/Tails using glitches. Tails in emerald coast, Glitchy? No, FUN! And of course you have more fun like that.

I have. I found it incredibly annoying in games where I could go too fast, or too high, then fall right out of the level. For example, running really fast in S3&K tends to make you get stuck in a wall.

I'm not asking much. I want speed, hopefully as fast as Sonic can run in Sonic X

So then, how much control would you get from that, hm? The only way that "Speed" like that could be out to use is in a racing style game, like F-Zero GX, in a platform game, it just doesn't work.

I may get this game for PC, as they seem to be slightly cheaper than the console games, and, if I don't want to buy it, I can just download it. *Hugs Bit-Torrents*

ree-c said:
So then, how much control would you get from that, hm? The only way that "Speed" like that could be out to use is in a racing style game, like F-Zero GX, in a platform game, it just doesn't work.

Alrighty, let me make this clear. The 3D Sonic games are in the "Action" category. Surely you can jump and people will call it a platformer, but that was the time of 2D sonic games. Get with the times! My gramps always said life was better in his younger age, and we don't need more grandfathers here.

And how to control it? Simple:

A button: (hold button)Brake-high jump/speed jump
B button: Spindash /grab-speed jump attack
Y button: Boost
X button: Run on wall (once running press a to do a wall jump)
Control stick: Steering as in race games
R/L: Direct turn to right/left
D-pad: Any kinds of menu's
Start button: Pause menu as in SA2

Just think of it, and you'll know it would fit. Sonic Wildfire(Sonic and the secret of the rings) is exactly what I'm thinking of, but then it should be fast and you should be able to go anywhere in levels. (instead of a one path to follow)

SSNTails said:

BOW DOWN TO HIM! BOOOOW!

Don't ditch Sonic and play R&C also =3

You'll be even happier :)

On a lighter note, the demo was pretty good. Beat the 1:18 time of mine and you'll get a cookie =3

cueball61 said:
SSNTails said:

BOW DOWN TO HIM! BOOOOW!

On a lighter note, the demo was pretty good. Beat the 1:18 time of mine and you'll get a cookie =3

Sorry bro, my friend got a time of 1:16 and i got 1:14...

cueball61 said:
SSNTails said:

BOW DOWN TO HIM! BOOOOW!

Ratchet & Clank are awesome. I have yet to play R&C3 or R:D

cueball61 said:
SSNTails said:

BOW DOWN TO HIM! BOOOOW!

Ratchet & Clank are awesome. I have yet to play R&C3 or R: D.

RgxSuperSonic said:
cueball61 said:
SSNTails said:

BOW DOWN TO HIM! BOOOOW!

Sorry bro, my friend got a time of 1:16 and i got 1:14...

I just got 1:13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back