2.1.16 release, 2.2 information, and community news update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoganA

Administrator
Administrator
Sonic Team Junior
Posted by Rob Tisdell on 09-06-2016 12:55 AM.

2.1.16 is here! There is one very important thing we need to state up front – in order to make the online SRB2 experience more stable and reduce the number of desynchronisations that may occur, we have decided to make the difficult decision of disabling netgame capabilities in Direct Draw (srb2dd.exe) builds. It will be a long road, but this first consolidating step will help us understand and potentially solve the problems with the netcode.* We’ll give you the patch notes at the end of the post, don’t you worry.

In case you haven’t been paying attention to the forums, there’s been an interesting group project that’s been going on – and it’s out now! It’s called Shut Up and Get On It, or SUGOI, and with 29 unique levels it’s one of the biggest map packs in the history of SRB2. Pretty much the whole community has come together to work on this thing and, thanks to the magic of slopes, it’s really amazing.* We encourage you to go play that map pack after downloading the 2.1.16 update.

Also in exciting news, we don’t usually get attention from the wider world… but a couple months ago we got three separate sites reporting on us at once!

1) – Dorkly mentioned us in their list of cool pop culture DooM mods. We’re mentioned alongside ancient greats like Ghostbusters DooM as well as the relatively modern Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch.

2) – IGN went into our game wanting to hate it, but realised they couldn’t!* Someone should tell them we have mediocre support for controllers.

3) – Last but not least, Gizmodo interviewed us devs about the history of the game! We gave ’em a few 2.2 screenshots to pick from for their header image as gratitude for their thoughtfulness.

We did give them a few more images than they had space for, so here’s the other two – featuring the new versions of Tails, GFZ1 and CEZ1! It also features our new Sonic, although he’s now available on the message board with some custom abilities for fun here.

It’s a shame 2.2 isn’t ready yet… but that doesn’t mean 2.1.16 isn’t pretty great in and of itself!

General
* We, uh, accidentally compiled 2.1.15 without any optimizations turned on. Sorry about that – the framerate in this version should be way better…
* Knuckles can now climb on one-sided linedefs that don’t have the No Climb flag. This means thok barriers are no longer needed outside of decorative uses.
* Fixed an issue where colliding with the edges of Mario blocks, bustable FOFs, and bouncy FOFs was extremely unreliable.
* Fixed falling through a reverse platform FOF clipping you downwards (and vice versa with reverse gravity and normal platforms).
* Fixed FF_SHATTERBOTTOM FOFs acting like THZ goop when stood on.
* Thrown match emeralds now disappear in death pits instead of uselessly bouncing off.
* Fixed an issue where the NiGHTS drone was visible at the end of a special stage for a single tic.
* P_GetMobjGravity(mobj) is a new function available to Lua.
* You can now disable the weapon rings and power stones displays from ringslinger gametypes using Lua.
* Single-sided linedef skewing now behaves like midtexture skewing; the No Midtexture Skew linedef flag disables, instead of it being on by default.
* Fixed several issues with the Solid Midtexture linedef flag not playing nicely with the Peg Midtexture and Repeat Midtexture flags.
* Cleaned up the error message when failing to load a sprite that doesn’t have enough rotations.
* The game will no longer crash whenever it gets lost trying to find a special linedef from a tag number.
* Fixed an issue with one custom cutscene immediately following another causing the game to softlock.
* If the game becomes modified during a record attack run, the run will now immediately end.
* Using the -warp game startup parameter will now let you know if you are attempting to access an invalid map lump.
* Fixed zero-length REJECT lumps reading from arbitrary memory.

Slopes
* Teetering on the edge of platforms and ledges now takes slopes into account.
* Slopes can have their physics disabled by applying the No Sonic linedef flag to their master linedef. (Zone Builder will probably rename that linedef flag for the slope types soon enough, but until then…)
* Slope physics now take sector gravity into account.
* Non-player objects are now able to move up and down slopes much smoother.
* Vertex slopes now crash with a descriptive error message if they’re set up incorrectly.
* Fixed a crash caused by hitting a bouncy wall whilst on a slope.
* Fixed an issue where Knuckles attempted to climb on thin air above a slope in 2D mode.
* Bustable FOFs with sloped planes now have accurate collision bounds.
* Running into a spring or gas jet on a slope will now always send you on the correct path instead of at an awkward angle.
* Fixed gas jets having dance parties on slopes.

Software
* Fixed most, if not all, crashes caused by drawing parts of textures offscreen. These crashes alone caused many of the annoying crashes people have recently been reporting, so software mode should now be a lot more stable to play with.
* Fixed sloped FOF planes with translucent pixels losing their translucency when enveloped in a colormap.
* Fixed a crash caused by wedge-shaped FOFs mistakenly attempting to draw the top of its side textures below its bottom.
* Fixed skybox positioning being visually inconsistent between chasecam and first person mode.
* Fixed sprites in skyboxes being drawn with weird artifacting.
* Fixed the linedef backside textures of polyobjects floating above the polyobject’s position.

OpenGL
* Lower unpegged is now consistent with the new software mode behavior introduced in 2.1.15.
* Fixed specific arrangments of floor and ceiling slopes causing HOMs and other visual glitches.

This newspost was brought to you by toaster.

View on SRB2.org

it me

I took the screenshots! I drew the Smiles! I wrote the newspost! I fixed 35% of the bugs mentioned in the changelog! I spent 40 minutes uploading the patch and installer! Crucify me if this update has gone horribly wrong in some way! It's 2am! I'll stop yelling now!

I don't know, but if I hit "Download - Random Mirror" for the v2.1.16 Patch it downloads v2.1.15 instead.

Edit: Nevermind, Mirror 1 did the job, but still.

Oh my goodness, I love the new Tails. The crawlas and rings look real great too! The new CEZ and GFZ look fun and fresh, can't wait to play!

When do you think you'll get a chance to add the I/O library from Wolfy's SRB2IO, if that's something you're planning to do? Will we have to wait for 2.2 for that?

That statement needs an asterisk clarifying that it's not to imply no rushed game can be good. 90% of games are rushed to some degree

Yeah. As in, "you released this as shit, but it's already released, you can't make it not shit", which is why people who say something like 06 would be good if the glitches and load times were fixed have no idea what they're talking about

When do you think you'll get a chance to add the I/O library from Wolfy's SRB2IO, if that's something you're planning to do? Will we have to wait for 2.2 for that?

According to Wolfy himself, I/O don't sync online properly. So I don't think it will ever be Vanilla SRB2 unless it syncs properly..

Yeah. As in, "you released this as shit, but it's already released, you can't make it not shit", which is why people who say something like 06 would be good if the glitches and load times were fixed have no idea what they're talking about
That has nothing to do with the game being rushed, but just it being bad, another example is E.T.

I'm really impressed, this looks pretty darn nice. I still can't believe you guys were able to include slopes. Makes me want to work on some levels too.
Now if only school wasn't in the way...

Also I'm curious what you're up to with 2.2... I expect some nice surprises :P

that makes no sense of course a bad game is bad

A bad game being bad forever makes sense. Imagine if Sonic '06 got all its bugs fixed, that does not change how ridiculous the story is or even some of the games level design. Same goes for Sonic Boom which is actually worse as this game is, from what I have heared, boring as hell, and with those bugs fixed it still remains boring and bad.

Yes, those are examples of bad games that were rushed but there are also examples of games that were not rushed but still ended up bad, like Mighty No. 9. Do you believe that this super delayed game can still be made good? I can't.

...Guys, can we get back to the topic of 2.1.16 please?

I'm personally wondering what we're doing about the source code for 2.1.16. That is, we don't have a proper tag for it yet (that "2.1.16" tag on GitLab/GitHub isn't up to date). Probably a good idea to get that sorted asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back