Version 2.1.15 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll note that this is what will really happen to the directdraw stuff as well. It's not like you couldn't drag the old code in and try to compile it. You'd just end up with lots of bugs as we stop updating it and things break.

I think people here are forgetting that we're already at the point that the computer I first ran SRB2 on would have no ability to run a modern version. Not only is Windows 98 no longer supported (and crashes outright IIRC), the computer wouldn't be capable of running most of our stages at playable framerate even at this minimum resolution.

As time moves on, old technology stops being maintained and eventually becomes obsolete and unable to operate new programs. DirectDraw is currently not being maintained by Microsoft. This means that we WILL have to drop support for it whether we personally like it or not because Windows itself won't be able to run it. If you have problems with the SDL2 version of the game, you'd better speak up and help us debug those problems or you're going to be very sad when 2.2 comes around and we don't have DirectDraw support anymore.

Continuing to use DirectDraw is basically like saying SRB2 should have a requirement of Windows XP, Vista, or 7 ONLY and not support computers made after a certain year. That's just stupid.

At least Windows 7 apps still works on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 and SNES9X (An SNES Emulator) still has DirectDraw wich is good for old computers. Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (Now known as Microsoft's Basic Video Apadter) also counts.

I apologize for my previous post, there were a lot of things I didn't know that I should have researched first.. *facepalm* Anyways, nontheless, I'll report all bugs I have in future but the reason I haven't done in the past is because if I find an alternative method to having to report a bug then I will use it, as I'd rather work things out myself rather than whining to everyone about problems I'm having.
If DirectDraw is being dropped by Microsoft then I guess it really is a good idea to drop it and fix SDL2 bugs.

As for manually compiling SRB2 builds on linux ourselves, okay but by now I think people already realize I'm a lazy person and try to handle things with minimal hassle, thing is, once I find out how to compile it and stuff I won't be complaining as I'll be able to do it every time.

Anyways, back on topic, I apologize for what I said and the poor manners, and I have an understanding of why DD is being dropped now. Thank you.

I feel like I should comment here because I was one of the more vocal people in the dev team when it came to this issue.

I didn't even want to ship 2.1 with a DD build. If it were up to me, we would have had just an SDL2 build and had people report issues on it, because I predicted that people would just opt to play DD builds and not SDL2 builds, lowering feedback and ability to deal with issues regarding it. The primary reason that didn't happen was because a lot of people were worried about people dropping and/or abandoning the game because of lag. This was a reasonable standpoint at the time, so we went with it.
But it turned out my predictions were relatively accurate and the necessary feedback we need on SDL2 aren't happening. We need to have that feedback in order to properly support SDL2. That's not the only reason for us to release SDL2 only, but it is a factor.
Also, you guys need to bear in mind that the hypothetical situation of SRB2 not running on newer equipment isn't something we are just predicting, and it's not even an issue with just potential future machines. The issues with Direct Draw on newer machines is already happening. I was unable to play internal 2.1 builds during development before furyhunter implemented SDL2, and that was a couple years ago. The issue with modern and upcoming machines is huge. And while removing DD support may harm people who have been playing the game for a while now, NOT doing so is going to create a choke on people who might come across it in the future and be unable to play it because they can't run it, due to the game being dated. We would be putting a soft time limit on the lifespan of our game if we did that.
The reality is that we can't feasibly support both DD and SDL2, so one of them has to be dropped. For the sake of the game's future, the clear choice is DD.

Not to sound annoying, but why does Fullscreen break when I use OpenGL and DirectDraw?

We don't know, we don't want to know, and we don't need to know.

SDL2 on Linux/Wine doesn't display anything. All screens including the STJr splash screen are black. Sound still works, though delayed by about a quarter-second. I can navigate menus blindly, enter a level, and move around normally.
This happens at any resolution, fullscreen or otherwise. 2.1.14 didn't do this; it only made sound lag behind.

Software SDL2 is broken.
OGL SDL2 is OK, except for the sound lag.
Software DD is OK.
OGL DD doesn't run at all. (I'm aware this won't change.)

SDL2 on Linux/Wine doesn't display anything. All screens including the STJr splash screen are black. Sound still works, though delayed by about a quarter-second. I can navigate menus blindly, enter a level, and move around normally.
This happens at any resolution, fullscreen or otherwise. 2.1.14 didn't do this; it only made sound lag behind.

Today I created a Linux SDL2 build and it runs amazingly, so if you want i can message you instructions tomorrow. I'm also going to be uploading a tutorial tomorrow on my YouTube and I might put a script together and update this post with a link.
Aside from that, refer to the compile page on the wiki for make, not cmake, and make sure you refer to the Linux instructions. LINUX=1 for 32 bit, LINUX64=1 replaces it for 64 bit. SDL=1 MUST be appended to the command to make sure it's compiled for SDL2.

Good luck, pm me if you need more help.

Edit 1

Software SDL2 is broken.
OGL SDL2 is OK, except for the sound lag.
Software DD is OK.
OGL DD doesn't run at all. (I'm aware this won't change.)

The sound lag is not present if you compile a native Linux build.

LINUX=1 for 32 bit, LINUX64=1 replaces it for 64 bit.

Keep in mind, 64-bit builds for any OS are NOT netgame compatible with 32-bit builds. Use at your own risk.

Keep in mind, 64-bit builds for any OS are NOT netgame compatible with 32-bit builds. Use at your own risk.

Ah, didn't know that. Thank you. Is it possible to run a 32 bit build on a 64 bit machine? I think it should be fine cause I've got multiarch..

Ah, didn't know that. Thank you. Is it possible to run a 32 bit build on a 64 bit machine? I think it should be fine cause I've got multiarch..

It is, but they require 32-bit dependencies, and building them is an entirely different story.

Just compiled SDL2 for 32-bit Debian. OGL and software both work perfectly, and OGL has somewhat better FPS than before.
Thanks for both your help.

Everyone was complaining about the Snailer in the Megaman blocks room so it got removed? That thing was relatively easy to dodge y'all.

This asshole on the other hand is cheap incarnate - without computer timing you're most likely shieldless:
upqVoPP.jpg

Why wasn't he removed instead? :v Don't tell me nobody had any problems with him.

It's still cheap enemy placement either way, you have to stand too close to react and you can't attack it without risking falling in the lava as Sonic. Just replacing the air lift thing with a spring would fix it though.

Everyone was complaining about the Snailer in the Megaman blocks room so it got removed? That thing was relatively easy to dodge y'all.

This asshole on the other hand is cheap incarnate - without computer timing you're most likely shieldless:
-image-

Why wasn't he removed instead? :v Don't tell me nobody had any problems with him.

I actually thought he was the one that got removed at first. But yeah, unless you're playing SP with the Sonic and Tails option, (immortal player 2 ftw) he's kind of frustrating to deal with.

The difference is you're not instantly killed here.

Yeah, but removed snailer gave you a lot of horizontal space to dodge, and he was high up enough that you had most of the hallway to plan a strategy before he actually got low enough to start firing. That said I think both of them are too hard for ERZ's difficulty curve; that steam jump in the lava room is already pretty brutal, especially for slower characters.

With that snailer I find it easy enough to just wait for him to fire and then jump onto the platform while he can't fire. It might be a bit much, but it's not nearly as bad as the other one, where not only is the punishment harsher for failure but taking it slow and safe isn't an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back