2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, SRB2 will still run fine on Windows 2000, even. Pretty sure something broke about 9X by now, but honestly, absolutely nobody should be running 9X nowadays.

Honestly, i think CEZ1 textures suits the level, despite that it's horrible.

I think what makes CEZ so difficult is that classic Sonic didn't really ever have much of a castle theme. Even when it kind of did (Marble Hill), it had colors that made it pop. Purple stone, neon green grass, and contrasting red lava.

When Sonic did use grey, (Scrap Brain Act 3), it still popped because of the deep purple water and the greenish background.

Perhaps finding a way to brighten up and techno-fy CEZ could help with not only the scenery, but the level structure as well.

1. Are slopes going to be added to CTF and Match maps that need it too? The physics would be pretty cool to play with in those gametypes. Building up speed by rolling down a hill would be a good mechanism to get away from opposing players without your double-tap jump ability when you're carrying the flag in CTF. This is a good chance to make Meadow Match not shitty too.

2. Isn't the ugly title screen getting updated?

1. Are slopes going to be added to CTF and Match maps that need it too? The physics would be pretty cool to play with in those gametypes. Building up speed by rolling down a hill would be a good mechanism to get away from opposing players without your double-tap jump ability when you're carrying the flag in CTF. This is a good chance to make Meadow Match not shitty too.

1. I'd imagine they would be, and if they were added, that'd actually really help any non-Sonic players avoid the dreaded Thok-spam. Also, since GFZ is getting revamped, I'd imagine Meadow Match will be too.

2. There was a thread regarding this in Editing, but it's gotten so old that I can't find it. I think at least the clouds will be changed, though.

1. I'd imagine they would be, and if they were added, that'd actually really help any non-Sonic players avoid the dreaded Thok-spam. Also, since GFZ is getting revamped, I'd imagine Meadow Match will be too.
I'm missing the point, Meadow match was never touched since it was made first time, A Change in the way it's played would not be good in any way, The reason why i love Meadow Match is because it's the only Map where i can spam Sonic's thok freely .

I'm missing the point, Meadow match was never touched since it was made first time, A Change in the way it's played would not be good in any way, The reason why i love Meadow Match is because it's the only Map where i can spam Sonic's thok freely .
I meant make it less flat and bland, maybe touch up some of the visuals like GFZ. I didn't mean change the whole architecture of the map, that would defeat the purpose of even keeping that old thing in the game.

You wrong. Meadow Match was touched since it's release. It is perfect only for Duels, the weapons are really good placed, you could easily have all of them.

Well, a lot of SSN's sprites have been getting replaced, and I personally think it would be a bit saddening to replace the title screen too. Personally, I'd like to keep the current title screen for that special AJ touch right off the bat, y'know?
I guess it would be understandable if it got replaced though.

EDIT: I've had a complete change of mind since I posted this, the current title screen is incredibly dated and needs a replacement. Move along.

Last edited:
So how would you implement the slopes in a level? Are they like stairs?
Well, you take two sectors, set the linedef between them to slope what you want to slope, then tweak the heights of the sectors to be different from each other. That's basically it, although other more advanced methods to slope stuff do exist. So sort of like stairs, I guess, although you won't need nearly as many sectors in most cases.

Well, you take two sectors, set the linedef between them to slope what you want to slope, then tweak the heights of the sectors to be different from each other. That's basically it, although other more advanced methods to slope stuff do exist. So sort of like stairs, I guess, although you won't need nearly as many sectors in most cases.

That is nice. Ohh I can't wait to see the physics with those in play. The amount height you could get would be amazing.

Well, a lot of SSN's sprites have been getting replaced, and I personally think it would be a bit saddening to replace the title screen too. Personally, I'd like to keep the current title screen for that special AJ touch right off the bat, y'know?
I guess it would be understandable if it got replaced though.
But the game is still in AJ's style, there is just better art now. The current title screen is poorly animated and terribly dated. Someone could make a better drawn and better animated version that's about the exact same in style.

It would look better if Sonic looked like he does on this SRB2 Dreamcast mock-up cover on the title screen, and it was fluently animated.

sonic_robo_blast_2__dreamcast__by_anotherblazehedgehog.jpg

Last edited:
Medow match in my opinion shouldn't have a slopey update.

Maybe some additional decorations here and there but i wouldn't like to see the most simple match map changed... i see it as a sense of noastogia to srb2 as a whole

Meadow Match is long overdue to be revamped. Tag gametypes are dreadful on it and matches annoying with 6+ people (and it's also ugly). Just because it has sentimental value doesn't mean it should stay untouched. This sort of works for the title screen too.

See, when we did the transition to 2.0, I actually removed Meadow Match entirely. Turns out people really like it and it was put back by popular demand. Meadow Match is not (and never was) a particularly good stage. It just turns out that what a lot of the community wants isn't a good stage, it's a box with items so they can play mindlessly, like all the gimmick maps in the early days of online FPSes. I just think of the old Counterstrike AWP map, for example.

There's nothing to improve with Meadow Match because it's not fixable. Slopes or scenery or whatever aren't going to change what the stage is: a box with shit in it.

Came here to share and cringe at my old posts with friends, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that the game is still receiving updates after all these years.

Been thinking about hopping back into the game and slopes sound like a great reason to.
On the contrary, it's one of the only maps that actually works well with small player counts.
I dunno. Working with a small player count doesn't necessarily mean the stage is good.

I meant make it less flat and bland, maybe touch up some of the visuals like GFZ. I didn't mean change the whole architecture of the map, that would defeat the purpose of even keeping that old thing in the game.

Consider like one of the many dirty maps that were made for Half-life, Huge Boxes With nothing more than run and shoot ,But it still works just fine .

Dreamcast Cover

Yeah, way better than the current one .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back