Version 2.1 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say I didn't appreciate the update. I do. A lot. The final boss is OKAY, but honestly? It still IS anticlimatic. There is almost NO difficulty. Like at all. Only thing that's there is a bit annoyance with the speed he has, and of course, the overpowered instant-hit attack he uses. The weird crosshair attack thing sometimes can't be dodged, no matter where you go and how fast.
And I dunno about the rest of you but I watched the OVA. I still didn't figure out right away, but a little experimenting with jumping high over him made me realize "OH! You have to touch his head and he hits himself like in the OVA!" The rockets, I can see why those are an issue.

Also I *love* what was done with the game in terms of run shoes and super. DOUBLE speed? Awwwww yeaaaaaaaaah. The last special stage took me quite a few times to beat, but honestly, it's a good example of what a special stage SHOULD be.

Any chance of a Linux build coming soon? I tried the game with WINE on Ubuntu, and while it's working perfectly, the audio starts crackling badly and going out of sync after so long. (The worst part is I don't know why.) It should be noted that I have PulseAudio turned off, and other games or applications under WINE have normal sound, so it alarmed me when this happened.

http://alam.srb2.org/SRB2/2.1.1-Final/

I've gotta be honest, there are things that blow me away with 2.1, and things that really turn me off.

the first major thing I have to dislike is DSZ3: the changes to the boss feel really weird and unnecessary, I understand the old one felt like a drag, but this new one feels like gimmick for the sake of gimmick if you ask me, and I'm really hoping I can find a way to salvage the 2.0 version for my own uses.

like many others, I feel THZ2 is a tad on the long side for where it is rotation wise, its not a problem game-play wise at the end of the day, but it does seem odd.

CEZ3 could do with a bit more indication as to where your supposed to go in pinch, took me a while of just trying to use the lower chain to go directly up, perhaps just making the higher chain area stand out a bit so it catches the players eye might help?

the final level is where I have to agree with others before me again and say it's anti-climactic and after the pretty neat fight before-hand, it's underwhelming, I also miss the time when brak was huge back in 2.0, the size he's been at since 2.0.5 just seems too small really, thats more of a personal nitpick but still, he's meant to be a colossal robotic eggman, at that size, i don't really see eggman fitting in there.

Why is Spring Hill Zone still in the game? I thought it got turned into Floral Field and Dusty Wasteland.

EDIT: Hey, guess what part's still there in ACZ?

v4xr46.png

Last edited:
Can I ask why Mlooksens was removed?

Cause I'm finding aiming to be very slippery when moving my mouse up and down. I use to have my mousesens at 44 and mlooksens at 23 because that's what I was use to and having them merge together is now just makes it a lot harder to aim.

Last edited:
Can I ask why Mlooksens was removed?

Cause I'm finding aiming very slippery when moving my mouse up and down. I use to have my mousesens at 44 and mlooksens at 23 because that's what I was use to and having them merge together is now just makes it a lot harder to aim.
Echoing this. I had to disable mouselook completely while playing in third person because I would be staring at the sky or my feet the whole time.

I love the additions to GHZ and THZ but did anyone else get completley disorientated on the first run each time they came across a radically different section?

How exactly do the score emblems work? I'm having trouble figuring out what to shoot for in levels.

EDIT: Nevermind, I am an idiot. It would be nice if the emblem requirements were displayed somewhere before actually taking on the challenge.

Last edited:
Hey...uhh...That room in Castle Eggman Zone 2 with the giant tower of bookcases and the rotating chain launchers...

I got stuck in there as knuckles and I couldn't launch myself high enough to get up. I also couldn't get back out the way I came in...

Anyone else get stuck there with Knux, or am I just fail at launching myself off those chains?

I might be just blind but, is there anything new for those hosting a dedicated server? Like maybe a bug fix for the server crashing randomly on join?

Both Mac builds are broken. The self-contained one complains that it can't find the WADs, and so does the nodata version. If you download the nodata version and put the wads into the Resources folder, it does find them, but it crashes on startup with a bus error.

Do I need to start posting mac builds myself again?

Edit: Something seems to have gotten mangled in the project at some point, because there's not even a reference to the SDL framework bundled with SRB2 inside the Xcode project anymore. Just libpng and SDL_mixer are referenced. If you lack the resources to fix this yourself, let me know and I'll go ahead and do it. I still have the code to my mac builds of 1.09, 2.0 and 2.01, and all three of those still work fine all the way up to 10.9.

Last edited:
...though I think THZ2 is waaaaay too long and complicated for where it is in the level order.

Especially that stupid pusher segment and having to jump off the higher platform to enter the slime right at the start, which is quite cryptic for only the fourth non-boss level. The original THZ2 was hard, without a doubt, but it was never a level with puzzle elements up the rum. Sure there was the flipping the button to open the door, but that was really just one thing that'll easily fool a new player.

RIP fun red sirens.

Meanwhile, remember when the game would start not in Offline mode? When you didn't have to click <Offline Mode> to connect and it just connected immediately?

and having to jump off the higher platform to enter the slime right at the start, which is quite cryptic for only the fourth non-boss level.

There's literally a trail of rings choreographing exactly where you need to go. I thought that was very good level design. It forces the player to understand the slime mechanics right at the start.

THZ2's challenges are well-designed, its only problem is level geometry and length.

For the final boss, you could reduce the amount of rings on the field, but what you could also do is replace all of the rings with a force shield or two. This would make it so that the player can take a finite amount of hits and can't just tank off of one ring forever. Or maybe make it so that there's one force shield and one ring, so that you get just a little bit of both, if you want.

And I dunno about the rest of you but I watched the OVA. I still didn't figure out right away, but a little experimenting with jumping high over him made me realize "OH! You have to touch his head and he hits himself like in the OVA!" The rockets, I can see why those are an issue..

The new Brak Eggman was designed for the 85% of the playerbase that didn't watch the OVA.

Random notes about the game:

I love that levels load near-instantaneously now. How did you guys do that?

In DSZ, the camera no longer jerks around when you go around turns on waterslides. Also, the crumbling maze is fixed! Blocks crumble no matter what direction you touch them from. How did you get that to work?

I know it's such a minor thing compared to everything else, but I love the circling flamethrowers effect in RVZ. It's so bright and fluid and seems to pop off the screen. It was one of those moments that I was legitimately impressed graphically by the game.

On the other side of the graphical spectrum, this is still here:

Nh6lGFJ.png

Why is this still here?

That tunnel in GFZ1 that prevents the player from seeing thok barrier weirdness... it's so lazy. Yet so effective. I don't know what to think of it.

Can I give a shout-out to the end of the Eggscalibur fight? The massive jumps are simple to do, but it feels so satisfying. A simple but epic end. Well done.

The Emblem Hints thing is great. It's one of those things that makes this feel like a real, polished video game. Also, I don't think I'd ever have the patience to find some of these emblems if it wasn't there.

Will probably post more in the future as I think of things to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back