Egg Rock OGG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liliam

After recieving an MP3 player for Christmas, I couldn't help but get it filled with SRB2 whatnot. It's part of how I am. So, I got the complete 1.09 soundtrack, got some dumped tracks of 1.08 (Woodland Panic Zone for instance), 1.0 and - wouldn't you figure - even Demo 3. I realised I had never gone through its SRB2.srb with a wadlump viewer before! So the journey began.

After some careful study of the various lumps, I finally got around to the music. I ripped it all, then listened to it. Some tunes like Dark City were pretty laughable, comparing to what they sound like now, but what caught my attention was that the soundtrack was complete - only in MIDI format.

One (or rather two) of the tunes caught my attention: according to the lump order, it was none other than Egg Rock! I enjoyed the tune, and thought: hell, why not remaster/remix this? And so I did. Now, without further delay:

OGG version, 44.100 KHz 16-bit Stereo (2,24 MB)

MIDI version (23,2 KB)

Tell me what you think. Also, for the ones who already know the tune, comment on how it sounds relatively to the original. Also, if you can, confirm if it is indeed Egg Rock Zone, or another tune entirely. If so, specify which tune it is. In any case, if you know, tell me who composed the music. I would very much appreciate it.

Nice tune, cool remix, although I'd suggest using something other then MIDI.

I have a question: Does your composer display the notes in a piano-roll style, or do the notes look like sheet music?

Whichever of the two I pick. Sheet music is what goes for me.

Also, the MIDI file is only there for those who don't want to/can't download the big file. You should try the OGG. It's way much nicer and polished and stuff. Unless you mean something other than MIDI to make the OGG. In that case, well, sorry, but I sequence MIDIs.

Well, I was about to suggest using a tracker (like ModPlug) to make this song, but all the trackers display it in a piano-roll fashion.

Don't worry, though, even the music from SRB2 itself began with an MIDI.

Tell me what you think. Also, for the ones who already know the tune, comment on how it sounds relatively to the original. Also, if you can, confirm if it is indeed Egg Rock Zone, or another tune entirely. If so, specify which tune it is. In any case, if you know, tell me who composed the music. I would very much appreciate it.

Interesting... what demo did you find this in?

It is indeed Egg Rock, however it has not been included in recent demos because I've been thinking of replacing it, it isn't very melodical.

The guy who composed it was Stefan Rimalia of Finland and Techno Hill Zone fame.

Well, like I said, it's from SRB2 Demo 3. It was the first version of SRB2 I ever played, long before people started editing the game (lol "blueprint" level submissions), so I only found the tune after remembering I had Demo 3 stashed away in an old CD-RW.

True, it's not a great song, but I kinda like the organ section. Pretty good rhythm.

EDIT: Credits fixed. Thanks for the info, AJ.

Neo Chaotikal said:
Well, like I said, it's from SRB2 Demo 3. It was the first version of SRB2 I ever played, long before people started editing the game (lol "blueprint" level submissions), so I only found the tune after remembering I had Demo 3 stashed away in an old CD-RW.

Uh, you DO realize that almost all of the old versions are available on the History page....?

Neo Chaotikal said:
I resent that! I made Crawla Valley for Demo 3.

Of course, that was before water blocks, level headers, and I knew what I was doing, but it worked ^_^()

SSNTails said:
Uh, you DO realize that almost all of the old versions are available on the History page....?
Heck, of course I know, lol. I just decided to cut Demo 3 open because I had it lying around. It's not like I was gonna download every version available in the History section just to try out my MP3 thingy =P

Mystic said:
I resent that! I made Crawla Valley for Demo 3.

Of course, that was before water blocks, level headers, and I knew what I was doing, but it worked ^_^()
And Crawla Valley was a great level to play in. Funny how it evolved into Crawla Isle Zone 2, and then into Jade Coast Zone 1, which is present in Mystic Realm today. I still remember when the title cards were pre-drawn and Crawla Valley had that weird font too =P

EDIT: As soon as it seems I can now spell "available", I type "dowload".

In other words, typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back