Shadows, how do I do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalaron

How do you make sprite based shadow casting, like in Srb2JTE or PrettySrb2, can that be socced or waded or do you have to edit the source code, either way could someone tell me how to do that?

You can't just edit the source code to add them. You have to know exactly what you're doing. By "exactly what you're doing", I mean C. And you don't just learn C.

No, read up on C. If Dark Warrior were to tell you what to type in, it would be his work and not yours. By the sounds of your post, you have no clue on how to do it so don't bother then. It won't be worth it unless you are willing to learn and figure out how to do it.

Sonict

Please don't think I'm a stupid noob, I am learning C and I'm just wondering how to add shadows to srb2 in opengl, if it's been done three times before couldn't somebody tell me how to do it, I'm using Dev-C++,
I'm not aware if it would be incredibly hard to describe all the information for shadow casting or not but it's just a question, and yes I am willing to do alot of programming for shadow casting.

The shadows look ugly anyway (in my opinion), considering the shadows point in whatever direction you are, so it sorta kills the point of adding shadows.

The shadows are pretty. :3

Anyways, even if the masses here *did* know how to add shadows, they probably wouldn't bother putting the various massive coding I'm sure is involved here. Basically, it's not as simple as putting "Generate Shadows" in the code, which you seem to think would work. It won't.

Shadows would look a lot better if there was a lightsource parameter, or something, and then just generate the shadow in whichever direction the source was pointing from.

Segmint, that would require he shadows to switch from sprite based to state based. That would mean completely rewriting the code, ya know.

Dark Warrior said:
Basically, it's not as simple as putting "Generate Shadows" in the code, which you seem to think would work. It won't.

I'm well aware that C programming isn't that easy, I'm much more intellegent than that, please don't automatically assume that I'm just some random noob that's way in over his head.

Just use the source code of SRB2109 from the SVN, I should already have all that fancy-shmancy shadows `n stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back