• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Looping sound effects via linedef executors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tets

one rude dude
I'm having a bit of trouble with this one. I wanted a room filled with lava in the style of Hill Top Zone, in which the lava level rises once the player enters. I finished it, and it worked nicely, but it was missing something important: sound.

I worked out a simple set of linedef executors which in theory would cause a rumble sound to be played while the lava is rising. The only tool I have at my disposal for this kind of thing is the "trigger repeatedly" linedef executor. Unfortunately this method does not work well for playing sound effects, as it does not simply loop the sound. Instead it just plays the sound however many times per second "trigger repeatedly" works. This results in a bunch of rumble sound effects being played at once, effectively preventing any other sound from being played and distorting the music.

So, fellow mappers, what are your thoughts? How can I make this set of linedef executors loop the sound properly?

When I work with linedef exec setups that involve time, I like to use a Gargoyle Thing, coupled with moving floors and all that triggers a pushable object exec. That's my cheap hack, but it works :P.

In your case, I'd probably place a Gargoyle Thing on a floating platform that moves up and down. On that same target sector, I'd place an intangible FOF with the "Trigger Each Time (Pushable Object)" special, so each time the Gargoyle passes the FOF as the floating platform moves, the exec is triggered.

If the sound is in SRB2, what's the SFX number? I could try to play around with a few ideas.

Couldnt you make a New thing type and make it an Ambident sound? (Or however you say it)

Those loop the sound but only when the sound is complete, If I am correct.

You can also use a SOC to edit the properties of that particular sound, and allow only one of those types of sounds to be played at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back