OPENGL or Software mode?

Which is best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if there is a topic like this.

Anyway, When you are playing SRB2 Which Mode do you use?
And which mode do you think is best? Explain why you like it too!

I use OPENGL because I think everything looks alot better, (Mostly the water)

When I play in software mode everything looks werid to me.

I use OpenGL for several reasons:

• It's faster
  • It's not pixellated
  • Coronas look gorgeous
  • The COLORMAP effect doesn't filter colors into a certain range the way software does
  • REDWALL instead of HOM
  • Better distance drawing

The only problem with OpenGL is HIRES, but I use PrettySRB2 anyways, so that's a non-issue. Also, PrettySRB2 adds the benefit of sprite shadows, which only makes OpenGL look that much better.

Go to the srb2 netlauncher, click main options, and then click the box to the left of OpenGL.

I use OpenGL since it runs smoother, and you can use a a good few filtering options so textures don't look crud. Textures and walls also don't twitch around in high resolutions as in software mode, and it also runs faster on older computers, provided they have a half-decent graphics card/chip (And by this, I mean anything from 1999 onward. :P). (Pentium 4 Northwood B, 2.8Ghz, software ran slower than OGL, the computer was using a 32MB integrated S3 ProSavage DDR.)

Any modern computer wouldn't have a problem running either, even with integrated or PCI graphics. Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT PCI 64MB (2000? 2001, I think.) ran the game at max speed in OGL at 1024x768, I don't think the card supported AF.

I like OGL. >> <<

nitro_the_hedghog said:
Go to the srb2 netlauncher, click main options, and then click the box to the left of OpenGL.

Alternatively, in a batch (.bat) file in the SRB2 folder:

Code:
srb2win -opengl

SRB2WIN being the name of the EXE, obviously. This can be changed to PrettySRB2, SRB2JTE, or what-have-you.

I use a shortcut on my taskbar, along with -mb 64 and -noxmas parameters.

I test things in Software because Software does -win correctly, but I usually play in OpenGL due to the faster speed.

Unless I'm informed of a command line variable that switched the texture filter to "Nearest" on startup, I'll stick with software.

I use Software because my inferior Graphics Card seems to be incompatible with OpenGL, which is stupid. Software runs slow on my PC, at about 20 frames average, with around 10 in extreme situations, in 640x480. OpenGL runs at about 4fps with improper colour display in fullscreen, though, and that's at 320x200.

If I'm not playing at home, though, then I'll use OpenGL if I can. I usually use Nearest, or one of the Linear ones (I forget which).

@Blue_Warrior: Put "gr_filtermode Nearest" in your AUTOEXEC.CFG.

Blue Warrior said:
Unless I'm informed of a command line variable that switched the texture filter to "Nearest" on startup, I'll stick with software.

It's called an auotexec.cfg

I doubt there is one.

...But, what's the point of that? That goes against the point of autoexec.cfg. :|

....I don't think you understand.

I want to know of a command line variable (like -warp, -file, and -opengl) for putting it onto "Nearest" so that I don't need to set it to that every time I open up OGL SRB2. I don't see how that goes against the point of autoexec.cfg, because that's what I was going to use it in.

I'll Begin said:
@Blue_Warrior: Put "gr_filtermode Nearest" in your AUTOEXEC.CFG.
That's how you do it. Why do you need a command line command if you can just have SRB2 do it automatically?

To my knowledge, SRB2 doesn't remember your OpenGL filtering mode (that is, it isn't saved in the config when you quit) so it's best to put it in autoexec or the command line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back