What's next for Sonic Robo Blast 2?

JakeLeB

Now with 25% more fat
Now that the big update has been out for a while, it begs the question: Now what? Where does SRB2 go from here?

SRB1 has that fan(?) remake being made, and Kart is still getting big updates, I think, but what about SRB2? Will a SRB3 be made? Another update? What do you think?

Next update: new Sonic ability, new physics engine, a new level design philosophy is going to be tried out via Dark City Zone, Red Volcano Act 2 and 3, and a couple of smaller changes or new additions are going to take place.

Calling it now.

Next BIG update. Not next update.

Considering the switch to UDMF maps and the physics changes (including changing the jump height), I'm mildly terrified that we're going to have another 2.2-style "literally remake every stage in the game" update and it'll take another 5 years.

if we're talking about srb2 as a game, then the next big thing really is the physics rework and the thought of a new ability for sonic.

but if we're talking about the srb2 community as a whole...i'm putting my bets on the riders remake. so far it looks like an amazing mod that will be able to stand independently from srb2 just like kart.

I expect the physics rework (which, as dev members have brought up on the forums and Discord, is 100% a thing that's happening) to bring about many changes to the main campaign levels, especially the early levels to help players get used to the game's physics. I don't see the levels being revamped as heavily as they were in 2.2 (save for Egg Rock of course), but I can easily see there being some significant changes no less.

My other big expectations/hopes for the next major update are as follows:
  • Update the main menu interface so that it's not just a bunch of text saynig "1 PLAYER / MULTIPLAYER / EXTRAS / ADDONS" and so on, but rather looks like an engaging visual-oriented menu (think Sonic Mania's menu)
  • Rework Sonic and Metal Sonic's movesets to be more fluid and more challenging respectively
  • Change some shield abilities to be more interesting (looking at you, force shield)
  • Remake DSZ2, because right now the level feels more like a cluttery fanmade level than a modern SRB2 level
  • Make ACZ1 less absurdly easy as Tails and Knuckles
  • Add RVZ2 and RVZ3, possibly the other planned zones but the remaining acts of RVZ are what I'm most excited for
  • Remake everything Egg Rock onwards to match modern SRB2 level design
  • Remove Aerial Garden and Techno Legacy and put new modern bonus levels in their places
  • Update or remake all the other bonus levels that don't have slopes (which is most of them)

My main expectations of another SRB2 update would be one that adds Mighty and/or Ray to the game, ala Mania Plus.

On a side note, what are your thoughts on giving bonus stages more than one act? I've always imagined Azure Paradise Zone to be sort of like the "Act 1" to Azure Temple Zone's "Act 2".
I think it would be weird to give bonus stages more than one act. Take the example of Frozen Hillside Zone: it was submitted to the OLDC as two acts (or maybe three? I forget), but only the first act made it into the game, which I'm pretty sure is because dev thought the second act wasn't interesting enough compared to the first. However, if a bonus stage is really interesting and has a second act that brings even more interesting content to the table, then putting on both acts would perhaps be a good idea—certainly a better idea than cramming multiple acts into one long zone (cough cough Aerial Garden).

It's worth noting that bonus stages have had multiple acts in the past (Castle Eggman, Mario Koopa Blast, probably something else I'm forgetting). Right now, we have a NiGHTS bonus stage with two acts (Alpine Paradise), but it's exactly the kind of bonus content that I do not think warrants being in the game twice.

My main expectations of another SRB2 update would be one that adds Mighty and/or Ray to the game, ala Mania Plus.

i mean...i'd like that, but 1. they are both already modded into the game and can be accessed from this very message board and they already play like their mania counterparts, 2. we already have six vanilla characters and i don't think roach would enjoy making another one and 3. and most importantly it should be a chaotix character since that's the only major classic game that hasn't been represented yet in srb2.

so yeah espio for srb2

Generally, the addition of RVZ2 and RVZ3 are to be expected, we already know that a new physics engine is coming, Sonic and Metal rebalancing, and some generally level design changes to fit the new play-style for the two mentioned beforehand. I’m pretty excited for 2.3.

Oh and I’m definitely on board with the next possible character to be added to SRB2 being Espio.

Let's wait around 2024 for the 2.3 and maybe we'll see a second and third act for Red Volcano and eventually Dark City and/or Grand Eggship coming into the main campaign.

i mean...i'd like that, but 1. they are both already modded into the game and can be accessed from this very message board and they already play like their mania counterparts, 2. we already have six vanilla characters and i don't think roach would enjoy making another one and 3. and most importantly it should be a chaotix character since that's the only major classic game that hasn't been represented yet in srb2.

so yeah espio for srb2

Can I get a link to the mods?

We seem to be at a bit of an odd point in SRB2 history where the end is in sight, yet the future is still fairly uncertain. The next major update, on account of the new physics, might even feel like an even bigger leap than the one we experienced transitioning from 2.1 to 2.2.

Honestly the biggest thing on my wishlist is Dark City Zone.

We seem to be at a bit of an odd point in SRB2 history where the end is in sight, yet the future is still fairly uncertain.

Well, sort of. That can kind of describe the aftermath of every new version, besides maybe 2.0. The devs can choose between finishing what they have or succumbing to scope creep, and they've chosen scope creep every time.

Well, sort of. That can kind of describe the aftermath of every new version, besides maybe 2.0. The devs can choose between finishing what they have or succumbing to scope creep, and they've chosen scope creep every time.

2.2 is definitely the most obvious indicator of this. The addition of three characters had major implications on the amount spritework that needed to be done, but it also had implications on the level design. However, 2.2 also placed a very strong emphasis on revamping levels and various assets to match a higher standard of quality, and so it could be argued that a lot of this workload would have been sustained regardless.

Quality control is again going to be a focus in 2.3, but whereas 2.2 can be considered to be "rennovating the house", 2.3 is more foundational in its focus, reviewing control schemes, physics, and abilities at player guidance matches the quality standards that our visuals strived for in the last patch. This means less in terms of graphical work and more in terms of coding, but the experimental nature of it means it's less certain what our total workload is going to be at the end of the day. When it's done(TM) is still as tried and true a benchmark as it's always been, but we're hopeful that the next major update won't take anywhere near as long as 2.2 did.

2.2 is definitely the most obvious indicator of this. The addition of three characters had major implications on the amount spritework that needed to be done, but it also had implications on the level design. However, 2.2 also placed a very strong emphasis on revamping levels and various assets to match a higher standard of quality, and so it could be argued that a lot of this workload would have been sustained regardless.

Quality control is again going to be a focus in 2.3, but whereas 2.2 can be considered to be "rennovating the house", 2.3 is more foundational in its focus, reviewing control schemes, physics, and abilities at player guidance matches the quality standards that our visuals strived for in the last patch. This means less in terms of graphical work and more in terms of coding, but the experimental nature of it means it's less certain what our total workload is going to be at the end of the day. When it's done(TM) is still as tried and true a benchmark as it's always been, but we're hopeful that the next major update won't take anywhere near as long as 2.2 did.

I can't wait for 2.3, but I can wait for 2.3 if that makes any sense. But I think you guys should take your time, because no one is rushing you guys to push 2.3 out. Not that any one should. just keep up the good work, because 2.2 is awesome. Mostly because of the coding that went into it.

You guys are pretty obsessed with Espio...

Someone spoke about a new original character, so... Dirk would be a good choice for that
He even has a custom Emblem sprite for modders to use

I'm pretty sure devs stated at some point in discord that the new playable characters were a one time thing and that future updates would not add any more new characters.

I'm pretty sure devs stated at some point in discord that the new playable characters were a one time thing and that future updates would not add any more new characters.

That’s true.... but I can always hope :’)
Honestly, idrc what character (if any) gets added, just the idea of new future characters was always fascinating to me.

With all the hubbub over balancing the base characters, dev-wise adding more would probably lead to more headaches.

I think the current roster works well, and there's always addons for more characters (besides savegame woes.)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back