• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

He actually used to show a bit of more hair in the front angle, but I decided to change it, since it seemed a tad too far out from his head.

Still looks kinda like a starfish on the front, if I'm being honest. I don't know what to suggest, but maybe if the shading was a bit different. Or maybe just bend the spines in a little more.

Guys, Classic Sonic has never not looked like a starfish from the front before. This is an oddity that is noticed when you take a 2D character design and transition it to 3D. Lengthening or pulling down the quills will cause inconsistencies in every other frame for something that is not worth stressing/redoing tons and tons of work over.

So all that remains now is just to tourment everyone with the beautiful, almost certainly finished wad? o3o You're too cruel, Roach. Too cruel.

Still, must say I like the consistency in everything. I myself? Not a huge fan of Classic Sonic's appearance in GENERAL, but since it's SRB2 which is as stated millions of times emulating the classics and considering the fact that you're going for that look specifically, this looks absolutely spot on. From the goofiness of "WHOAH I'M GONNA FALL" to the badass Super Saiyan sprites, approval from me~!

However, er, just pointing out since you're trying to be consistent and all; from the back the spines at the top seem to go UP a bit. From the front they clearly go down. As in the top two, not the very top middle one. That's just a nitpick but still, consistency is a bitch in spriting. (in everything usually lel)

However, er, just pointing out since you're trying to be consistent and all; from the back the spines at the top seem to go UP a bit. From the front they clearly go down. As in the top two, not the very top middle one.

If I recall correctly, it's been said that every sprite angle (or at least, generally speaking as far as character sprites go) is drawn according to perspective. Sprites seen from the "back" (IE: PLAYA1) have a more "direct and forward" angle compared to the "front" sprites (IE: PLAYA5), where the character is angled slightly downward; as from that point of view, they shift perspective upward just a noticable tad in order to emphasize the camera height/already given viewpoint.

Take your average third-person platformer for example -- in this case, I'll use Super Mario 64. When the camera is behind Mario and at an elevation/angle that isn't parallel to the ground, his shoes and hat are facing upward. When it's in front of Mario, his hat and shoes are facing downward. Taking the camera out of the equation, the same could be said if the character was just put against a platform at an angle.

Applying this example to Sonic, it makes sense to have his spines point upward a bit, because it's in response to the position of the player's view.

tumblr_njxj22MrAV1r51rb0o1_250.gif

I started posting animated sneak peeks for Sonic in my blog. Follow it for more upcoming screenies!

Well this is a wonderful improvement. I love your art style, Motor! I might have to enlist your services (via commission, of course) at some point

The animation, though...the spike waving looks quite awkard to me. It looks like his entire head is bouncing up and down with every frame, rather than his spikes and ears flapping in the wind.

tumblr_njxj22MrAV1r51rb0o1_250.gif
sonicrunsmallani2.gif

D'you see what I mean? The spikes should be pushed down more, as if there's actually air pressure shoving against the slope, and rather than a bouncing head, the trailing spikes need a bit of flow.

Last edited:
Well this is a wonderful improvement. I love your art style, Motor! I might have to enlist your services (via commission, of course) at some point

The animation, though...the spike waving looks quite awkard to me. It looks like his entire head is bouncing up and down with every frame, rather than his spikes and ears flapping in the wind.

-Images-

D'you see what I mean? The spikes should be pushed down more, as if they're actually air pressure shoving against the slope, and rather than a bouncing head, the trailing spikes need a bit of flow.
I see what you mean, but I think it looks just fine the way it currently is.

It's not just the head that moves up and down, the entire sprite moves up and down. Yes, that's intentional, because it's hard for me to imagine a body that stays perfectly still while running.

Try running like that in real life. Is it only YOUR hair and ears and clothing that moves? I think you'll find that your head itself doesn't stay completely still nor does your entire body. None of it does. The entire reason Sonic ran like that in the first place was because of limitations I imagine. Makes no sense for it to be fixed perfectly in place. .3.

The entire reason Sonic ran like that in the first place was because of limitations I imagine.

The Genesis should be more than capable of shifting a sprite up/down one pixel without things breaking. It's primarily a stylistic choice of whatever you think looks better in motion.

I personally think it would look smoother if the sprite stayed in place, but that's just my opinion.

There's such thing as making something smooth, but just because it looks smooth, it doesn't instantly means it will be good. The thing about animations is that you have to take in consideration what makes more sense for the movement, and then you think about how it can look smooth. You can't just make something and say it's good right away just because it's smooth.

I do not agree with the idea of making someone running several miles per hour perfectly still in place. It looks dumb and unnatural, you bob when you run, it'd look especially awkward with feet that fast.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back