Sonic Boom: A new Sonic cartoon series, coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just saw footage of another speedy level and it just looks worse. Granted the camera wasn't very good and I couldn't hear anything over the noise generated by everything (this was at Comic Con in San Diego). The level design is still linear and easy. It's like they ripped out a quickstep section from Generations without any polish or were secretly developing Sonic Dash HD. I'm still going to check on the game from time to time (by which I mean wait until my source for this puts out more one and a half minute videos about it).

Also, (almost) completely unrelated:
637x358.resizedimage

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------

I somehow forgot to mention this despite having it drilled into my head for 2-3 days. The problem with the new characters isn't so much that they look out of place. It's more that they're sort of stereotypical. We have the beautiful yet tough girls, the guy who tries to make something out of himself, the kind people who remain calm despite being in some predicament. The only one I can think of that isn't a common stereotype is the asshole who doesn't listen to other people's opinions. They're throwing plenty of new characters at us, but they don't sound like they'll have any sort of impact.

It also doesn't help that the majority of them are only confirmed to be in Rise of Lyric.

While I don't care about Sonic Boom at all, I would like to remind you that using stock characters is a something Sonic has always done, and even the things that people like do it. Sonic is the standard hero trope, Tails is a gimmicky engineer with a complex for his hero, Knuckles is the stupid bruiser, and Amy is hopelessly in love with someone who doesn't care. That was true even in the classics, and as time as gone on it's gotten even more obvious. If you're making a television show like Sonic Boom, though, you're going to need more cast than just that, so they have to add some side characters. Using stock character designs is the easiest way to do that, and if you remember SatAM, you might remember that basically the entire side cast was filled with tropes and stereotypes. A cowardly Frenchman? Sure, that's original! People like SatAM regardless, because side characters really don't need to be original to work.

Now, whether this will be rubbish or not is still up in the air (I'm voting there's no way it's good) but I wouldn't discount them just because they're using simple stock characters to fill out a side cast lineup. That's just common behavior, and it works even in very well-done things.

Last edited:
Thoughts after watching the video:
So that's why he has bandages everywhere and knuckles had to save him so he had to use stereoids, it MAKES SENSE NOW.

Amy looks different at the end of the video, her face looks more like the generations/modern one than the boom one.

Shadow honestly doesn't look different at all, other than having a less more rounded eye area akin to Sonic's. Also Metal Sonic looks dumb with the little bottom torso bit, even though it makes sense.

I guess you're right about the rounded eye area, but you're missing the extra mini-quills (why those are there, I'll never know), the different gloves, and the different shoes.

Shadow's new threads look nice, and I'm honestly okay with not having much change in the core design department.
Also Metal Sonic looks dumb with the little bottom torso bit, even though it makes sense.

By the look of the trailer, it's a lot less noticable in game. All that Metal really looks is taller.

Either way, this trailer got me pumped as fuck.

Shadow looks like a girl now. I mean, come on, his red eye outlines have transformed into mascara and his extra quills look like eyelashes.

I still think that shadow should have gotten a cape, and a belt holding a gun with a pocket o' bullets...not entirely sure on that last part, but the Cape most definitely.

I still think that shadow should have gotten a cape, and a belt holding a gun with a pocket o' bullets...not entirely sure on that last part, but the Cape most definitely.

He's already lame enough as it is, they really don't need to take it further.
In all seriousness, I like these two designs. Shadow doesn't look too different (honestly, the weirdest part is the fact that he's smiling) and neither does Metal. They look good.

I just find it weird that Shadow is not wearing anything except for his regular attire which isn't much and then you have all the other characters from this series (excluding Metal Sonic) wearing clothing and sports tape of some kind. It's jarring.

I'm kidding, I actually like Shadow. I guess in actual practice a cape is pretty cool, and I'd agree with Larztard. It's strange that they basically left Shadow as-is. Unless he's got some sort of Terimnator-esque thing going on where he was just created, and it's supposed to be like a naked Arnold Schwars-whatever roaming around destroying everything.

...You know, something like Vegeta's eyepiece would be kind of neat on him. At least, the one he wore in that infamous scene.

I actually like Shadow, because he almost looks like he wasn't changed. Tough, I don't really like this look of Metal Sonic, he looks like Mecha Sonic from S3&K. This may be because he's taller...

I don't really care for that Metal Sonic, but his character design is appropriate.

Yes, that would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back