Cant add sprites to wad HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwataketa

Game Developer in Training
I made a few sprites for my character in PNG format, but I have no idea how to convert them to LMP format so they'll work. Can anyone tell me how?

Glad you got slade.
Also to convert the PNG pictures make your settings like this
Untitled_zps7565f2a6.png

You may or may not have to have transparent on

No, you can't use PNG format in WADs editor but you can create a new Bitmap 256 colours image.

To made the .bmp image just use a right click>New bitmap image (or something like this). when your image is created, you just have to copy and paste the sprites with paint. And you can now use it in the wad editor.

>>> Why 256 colours? Because that was the SRB2 colours palette

You can totally convert png images to the doom gfx format (the format srb2 uses at the moment) in SLADE. You can even convert full color PNGs to the correct format (though I would recommend that you use only the colors in the srb2 palette, or it might convert some of the colors to something you don't want)

No, you can't use PNG format in WADs editor but you can create a new Bitmap 256 colours image.
Uh, no. You can totally use PNGs in a WAD editor. Know why? Because ZDoom supports PNG natively for all the various graphics it uses, and WAD editors would be foolish to not support one of the most popular Doom source ports.

...SRB2 doesn't support PNG graphics, however, so you'll have to convert it in the method depicted earlier.

Thanks. Ive been able to add the life icon and facename to my character (i havent made lots of sprites yet :P) but the end level sign and 1up box wont add (im using hinote as a base wad, does that have anything to do with it?). Also i want to change the red flag's sprite. Does anyone know how to do that?

Also i want to change the red flag's sprite. Does anyone know how to do that?
You find out the lump name of the red flag's sprite (should be mentioned on its wiki page), give your replacement graphic the same name and put it in the WAD.

You find out the lump name of the red flag's sprite (should be mentioned on its wiki page), give your replacement graphic the same name and put it in the WAD.

I already tried that. I put in a sprite with the lump name SPR_RFLG, but when I loaded it in the game I still saw Knux's flag. I even tried getting the senkuserv.wad to see how he did it, but I couldn't understand it just by looking at it. -.-

"SPR_RFLG" is not the lump name, it's the sprite name prefix. The lump name is "RFLGA0". You can deduct the lump name from the sprite name prefix by taking the part after the underscore (RFLG), the frame (A - which in the case of an inanimate object like this one is the only available frame) and the rotation (0 - which means is looks the same from all sides). Or you can just not worry about that and stick to the name that appears under the graphic.

i made the new lump and added the flag sprite, and converted the file to doom format (obviously), but it still shows knux on the flag. do I have to do more than just adding a new lump and putting the pic in?

EDIT: okay, I found the problem. I needed to add the S_START and S_END brackets :P but now ive run into another error. the flag seems to be sunk into the ground (ive only tested on lime forest). any way to fix that?

EDIT: fixed that too. had to change the offsets. now i just need to make character sprites. thanks for all your help everyone!

Last edited:
Set the sprite offsets, either by dragging the sprite in the view window, or by using the automatic offsets from the right click menu for graphics.

Whenever i try to add the 1up box and/or end level sign to my wad, it crashes. how do i fix this?

ok, I've added alot more sprites but I STILL cannot add the 1up or End Level Sign Sprites. HOW DO I FIX THIS!?

EDIT: whenever I try to load it with the 2 sprites added this message pops up: R_AddSingleSpriteDef: No patches found for HINOA1 frame f
and it only happens for those 2 sprites. why?

Last edited:
Why do I have the feeling that your WAD is missing the lower-case-letter frames?

Double-check XWE/SLADE has the relevant option for case sensitivity checked.

Why do I have the feeling that your WAD is missing the lower-case-letter frames?

Double-check XWE/SLADE has the relevant option for case sensitivity checked.
it isnt missing lowercase frames. i verified that BEFORE you said that.

it isnt missing lowercase frames. i verified that BEFORE you said that.

Now that i think about it ... Im not so sure if it checks for lowercase. How do i check to see if it does in slade? And sorry for my stupidity -_-

Edit: i finally figured it out. The problem was that SLADE always changed it to uppercase when i imported a file, and i never noticed. (on the outside:) so there ya go (on the inside:) HALLELUJAH!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back