Banning people on a dedicated server does not seem to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4704

I do not know why; maybe it is a WINE issue.

I run a dedicated 24/7 server using the following command:

wine ./srb2win.exe -internetserver -dedicated -debug -home (homedirectory) -nosound -password PASSWORD -room 33 &

When I login as admin and use the ban command, the ban is not saved. I looked for ban.txt in my own home directory and in the server's directory, but I can not find it. It does not seem to exist (banning does not work, too!).

Relatively independent of that problem, but solving it anyway, I wish to be able to get the IP of any SRB2 client just using a simple command like "ping" or "getplayernum". This may be restricted to server admins if you think the IP addresses are too sensitive to show them to all users, but if I am logged in as server admin, I want to be able to get the IPs. At very least the host should get that information, but it would be great to show it to admins, too.

If I am able to get the IP of someone I want to ban (a good thing might also be displaying it to admins when a client joins, for the case that the client instantly crashes the server!), I can use iptables to get rid of that client. Iptables are much more effective than SRB2 bans anyway. There is no 100-ban-limit and it works directly on the Network layer. Also, on a dedicated server, iptables are currently the only way of banning a client due to the bug described above. ;)

Ban them without a reason to save it. It works and can rid the server of most idiots.

Ban them without a reason to save it. It works and can rid the server of most idiots.

Unfortunately, while this seems to work, it does not write anything to ban.txt - so the bans are gone after a restart and I have no way to restore them. I would really like to use something less buggy for an important task like banning players. Iptables would be a nice solution if there would be any way to get a list of the IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back