Is web blocking software really that useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we need some good blockers not the same old crap that blocks to little or too much. i never liked them but they're nessesary to school life *sighs* i hate our web blocker.

The web blocker at my school is impossible to get around.

It blocks everything you could use to get around it. :/

well mine is like yours than: sucks, no way around, everything useful to your project gets locked, it sucks...oh i said that already but still.

Web blockers are useless. They inhibit EVERYTHING, even things that are relative to school.

For example, back in 7th grade, my history teacher gave us an assignment that required research from a certain website. But, when I entered the URL...

Tada, it was blocked. And that proves it, right there.

Well, what I do is install a browser that is not compatible with common blocking programs, and therefore is not affected by them. Then, I load it onto my trusty flash drive and take it to school, where I install it there.

It usually crashes Websense for the computer I'm using for about an hour. Best solution ever, eh?

My old school used Websense too! Once, it blocked something critical for us, too, and we had to wait for the administrators to unblock that one site.

WAD master said:
Well, what I do is install a browser that is not compatible with common blocking programs, and therefore is not affected by them. Then, I load it onto my trusty flash drive and take it to school, where I install it there.

Except any decent filter will be router-side, generally by setting up a static DNS so yourdomain.com points to the IP of the filter HTTP Daemon, which would display the page saying "No, GTFO, this page is blocked!". At least, that's how I see it working.

Clay said:
The web blocker at my school is impossible to get around.

It blocks everything you could use to get around it. :/
Yeah right.

It's called getting a pc at your house running 24/7 installing circumventor on it. Uses https, nothing can catch them. Hell you can even put your own ssl certificate on them to not get annoying warnings. Course this is a web proxy, so you can't configure a program to use or like your force the browser in it's options to use the proxy. (It's not a real proxy, well it is, just a web proxy, oh w/e you don't care :))

Cue said:
WAD master said:

Except any decent filter will be router-side, generally by setting up a static DNS so yourdomain.com points to the IP of the filter HTTP Daemon, which would display the page saying "No, GTFO, this page is blocked!". At least, that's how I see it working.

Course, all hardware firewalls block via ip, not by domain name or by w/e browser you use.

BTW you guys if you just need the text, just type whatever in google then click cached, this way you are using viewing through google's web server and you can view the site. (Google cache only stores text, no pictures) Or you can put it in google translate for an updated version of the site, except sometimes this may get blocked.

My school doesn't know about this website, yet.... That makes me happy. Especially when I have free time in class (with computers).

More like... Was great. My computer teacher doesn't allow us on the internet. If she gets onto us then, we meet her before school. It was great when I had class with my Journalism teacher....

Website Blockers are indeed redundant and stupid, but Pop up blockers block off dumb windows of useless SPAM that you hate.

JigglyWiggly said:
Course, all hardware firewalls block via ip, not by domain name or by w/e browser you use.

You know, I'm finding it hard to tell what you mean, are you being sarcastic and trying to say that they don't all block by IP, or are you saying that they all do and not by domain/browser?

The filtering system up at my school has progressively increased it's quality. The new restrictions this year make it impossible to acess any messenger server or be able to connect to any irc server. I forget how it's done but, I applaud. Still doesn't stop me and my friends from playing Halo on LAN every chance we get in the computer lab.

MasterJace said:
The filtering system up at my school has progressively increased it's quality. The new restrictions this year make it impossible to acess any messenger server or be able to connect to any irc server. I forget how it's done but, I applaud. Still doesn't stop me and my friends from playing Halo on LAN every chance we get in the computer lab.

In layman's terms, a reverse firewall, blocks outgoing connections on specific ports. That's why you can still play Halo over LAN, because it's only for connections going out of the school, not within.

Blocks do annoy me. Could do pretty much... nothing, with the one my school had. Thankfully, I had a laptop. I could just leach off the school network and avoid any of the "policies" it had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back