Uncut Subbed Sonic X on Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
Yeah, so there's a topic like this on Retro. Bite me.

Anyway, I've never had a chance to watch the Japanese Sonic X, always hearing that it was much better than the English version. But now Hulu has episodes 1 through 26 in their uncut, unaltered glory and subbed for your convenience. If you're adventurous, they also provide links to 4KidsTV for every single English dubbed episode.

The Japanese episodes are highly watchable, and thanks to that I'm beginning to discover that Sonic X was actually a better series than I had originally judged it to be. It's a fact that the Japanese voice acting and writing (especially Eggman's hilarious 4th-wall-breaking asides) are infinitely better, and Chris, while still whiny, is actually a tolerable character. If nothing else, watch the season finale. The music that plays during the end is absolutely beautiful.

Can't wait for more seasons, myself!

Wait, only for people in the United States?
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Well, I just gotta wait then. I'm not gonna watch the dubs (especially not the Dutch dubs... blegh).

I don't get why switching to Japanese makes a crappy show, awesome?

It's mostly better voice actors, Autosaver. I actually tried watching one of the English dubs last night and everybody sounds as grating as hell (especially Chris). It sounds superficial on my part, and it is, but that's primarily why I like the Japanese version better.

And the music. The English score is almost constantly going at a million miles per hour, and while that's great for two minutes of action scenes, it sounds annoying elsewhere. The Japanese score is, in general, much more relaxed and situation appropriate. There was one episode where Sonic and co. go to the beach in some foreign country and the music is mellow and non-intrusive and the whole thing's awesome.

Keep in mind, though, that I hardly ever watch Japanese animation, so I have minimal comparisons from which to judge Sonic X.

Last edited:
I have seen several episodes in Japanese after watching the English series and, in my opinion, it's WAAY better. :/ Theme song, music, voice acting, etc...

I've watched Series 2 of the 4Kids dub, and it's actually not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes, Chris is whiny, but it's fun to watch him throw a fit whenever Sonic leaves. Also, the whole Metarex thing is as close to Sonic Adventure 3 as we're ever likely to get(and the whole thing about Cosmo being a spy caught me off guard).

The one thing that brought it down was the absurdly sappy ending. It irked me so much that I came up with the idea of a "fan cut" with a new character who exists in the plot only to press the fire button on the Sonic Power Cannon at the end, so when Tails refuses to kill his true love this new guy steps in and does it for him. Of course this leaves Tails a complete wreck, but that's part of the charm.

Ah~ Not to mention... When they dub anime to english, the have to morph the phrases to fit with the characters mouths. When you're watching it subbed, you get a more direct translation. Plus, I'm sure some things were cut out that they didn't see "appropriate" for the child audience. I'm sure the part when Rouge made a joke about the handcuffs about to be put on her was cut out, and I laughed at that part in the japanese version. "So you're in to S&M, huh?" It really was funny~

Ah~ Not to mention... When they dub anime to english, the have to morph the phrases to fit with the characters mouths. When you're watching it subbed, you get a more direct translation. Plus, I'm sure some things were cut out that they didn't see "appropriate" for the child audience. I'm sure the part when Rouge made a joke about the handcuffs about to be put on her was cut out, and I laughed at that part in the japanese version. "So you're in to S&M, huh?" It really was funny~

OMGWTFBBQ

Also, with lines like that, why is Sonic X in the Family Channel? And why are they using the nonsensical-in-English Japanese episode names? Oh, and Mobius FTW.

Hulu show description said:
During a mission on Mobius to rescue Cream the Rabbit and Cheese the Chao from Dr. Eggman's headquarters, Sonic and his friends are caught in an explosion that transports them to another dimension occupied by humans.

So, wait, the sub actually makes this show better? D:

Well, there's no censorship. At all. Not even Sonic saying "shit" or Rouge making an S&M joke are censored. And Eggman's fourth wall breaking is left in. The soundtrack is also better, IMHO.

So far, I watched the whole season, and actually enjoyed it. Sure, I hated Chris like... 90% of people who have ever seen an episode on that show, and I hate how Cream does NOTHING, but I actually liked watching it, and even got some laughs out of it. It's not that bad of a show at all.

...and I hate how Cream does NOTHING...

You've seen the episode that's called "A Wild Win" in the English dub? Cream saves the day in that one, and she actually flies. It's bittersweet, but pretty good, and one of the few dubbed episodes that I remember fondly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back